The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Asociacion Protectora de Animales, 'El Capricho'

+4
HappyChic
Dave
miron
Cave Bunny
8 posters

Go down

Asociacion Protectora de Animales, 'El Capricho' Empty Asociacion Protectora de Animales, 'El Capricho'

Post by Cave Bunny Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:59 am

You may have seen posters around Baza for Asociacion Protectora de Animales, El Capricho, and in local magazines. It is a recently formed charity concerned with the well-being of animals in the Baza area.

I have recently started helping at the refuge, joining a small team of dedicated volunteers; I believe I am the only English person there. I thought I'd tell you a little about the Association’s work and how impressed I am by their efforts.

The charity’s main aim is to raise awareness of the plight of the animals in our town, and to attempt to alter the belief of those who see animals as merely a source of livelihood. They focus attention and resources on education, paying visits to schools and colleges, with the message that all living beings should be treated with love and respect.

A small and temporary refuge has been established in a loaned warehouse. This is now home to around 25 stray and abandoned puppies and dogs – sadly El Capricho have reached full capacity for the moment. Kennels are makeshift constructions from wire fencing, chipboard and bedframes, yet the dogs are clearly happy and content in their ramshackle homes. The Association recognise this is far from ideal, however they have no alternative for the moment. They are awaiting permission from the Ayuntamiento to construct more permanent brick built kennels within the warehouse. There are yet more dogs and puppies temporarily cared for in foster homes locally. Meanwhile, funds are shortcoming, and veterinary expenses and food costs are high.

All of the dogs within the refuge and fostered locally are looking for permanent homes. The requirement for adoption is that the new owners vaccinate, microchip and passport their adoptee. A donation to the charity is gratefully received, but not obligatory. There are dogs and puppies of all ages, some of which have been spayed or neutered, or vaccinated. Most have been rescued from appalling situations. All of the dogs are adorable, and very loving and affectionate.

I’m truly impressed with the level of care the dogs receive. The dogs are happy, clean and well looked after. Juan and David, for example, are at the refuge for several hours each day doing their very best for every one of the dogs, making sure that each and every one gets the care and attention they deserve and need. It is so refreshing to see such unfaltering dedication and passion. And it is clear that the dogs adore them for it.

I would take almost any one of the dogs from the refuge, but I am on a promise not to come home with any more. If anyone can offer a home, time, a donation or gift to the association, please call 645 238 237, visit their website [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or email [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Or you can PM me.

Please do be aware that until homes are found for the current dogs, the Association are sadly unable to take in any more strays. Current funds and spacing hamper them from helping further. With increased donations and assistance, more dogs will be helped.
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Asociacion Protectora de Animales, 'El Capricho' Empty Re: Asociacion Protectora de Animales, 'El Capricho'

Post by miron Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:57 pm

That´s great news! I hope it starts to get some official support too. Very Happy Very Happy

miron

Back to top Go down

Asociacion Protectora de Animales, 'El Capricho' Empty Re: Asociacion Protectora de Animales, 'El Capricho'

Post by Dave Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:47 pm

Are the Spanish changing their views on animals at last? I was just thinking that the doesn't seem to be so many stray cats and dogs, or is it my imagination.
Dave
Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:48 am

Def imagination Crying or Very sad
HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:36 pm

Sadly Chic's right. Until attitudes change, and people start neutering their cats and dogs this problem's going to stay.

Until then, we do what we can. :-)

There's a story about a man walking along the beach where hundreds of starfish have been washed up and are dying in the sun on the shore. He starts throwing them gently back, one by one. Another person passes and says "don't you realise there's miles of beach and starfish all along; you can't possibly make a difference." The man picks up another starfish and throws it gently back into the sea and says "It made a difference to that one!"

flower
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by saci Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:13 pm

have a look by the cueva sign where cars turn down and also go up to the serpentine road in Galera - pitiful! Imminent arrival of another litter by a lovely lady tabby - always scurrying into the undergrowth. She'll be skin and bone when she has delivered. There really ought to be a neutering programme for both sexes. People don't realize what a toll this level of fecundity takes place on small wildlife in a semi-arid region. Took ages for Australia to wake up to its dangers. Then there are the larger dogs which conveniently 'go missing' because people no longer want to feed them -scrawny looking and having that "brow-beaten" look. And then there are the birds in the heat of the summer in their miniscule cages! So don't see the improvement re regard for animals!
saci
saci

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:12 pm

No Saci, although it is encouraging to there are people out there that care.

I love you
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by saci Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:11 pm

I think it would be good to have an animal awareness programme on market days in all the villages that have markets - small poster exhibition - photos,drawings of the animals involved and the environment they are in. Dogs, cats, birds, donkeys, horses etc - with not just criticism - but also advice as to what to, who they can contact for humane advice, how to look after hooves and also what constitutes a good harness for working animals, care of hareness and body of animal during and after use. I believe a great problem with the animal protection law in Spain is that dogs, cats, "beasts of burden" - I think, are exempt. Which is ridiculous. It needs the Spanish to kick this off Exclamation
saci
saci

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:29 am

Well said Saci, i'd love to do something like that, time is not on my side tho, im proud that i have helped in such a small way by teaching four local goat herders that ears of dogs do not have to be cut off, to make them hear better ! such a small dent, an old wives tale, but im trying.
Im well chuffed 'El Capricho' has opened but sadly they are full already, another small dent but a start eh ! At least they are legite and honest unlike some so called un registered rescue causes run by English, just out for thier own financial gain.
HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:38 pm

I'm delighted to say it looks like a wonderful dog at El Capricho will be going to her new permanent home next week. She's a lovely girl, always looking for a cuddle!

cheers

And Chic, you are too modest! You have done many wonderful things for the animals here; you're an inspiration Very Happy Very Happy
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by saci Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:26 pm

really good to hear! You don't happen to have stickers in Spanish we could buy? Yes, every small step counts - and I hope you didn't think I meant "you personally" should do market day poster exhibitions. I am aware that is no mean feat and it really would require several of us to compile the information, help with mountings etc. Transport, even just getting the poster sized prints done isno mean feat. Let us know if there are local meetings around we can gather at to help. cat
saci
saci

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:41 am

Arhhhhh bless, nice one on the home for the dog Very Happy Sadly it can be replaced by so many more needing shelter eh ! But everybit helps in a big way.
Thanx for comment CB but nah, just a sprinkling of iceing on a huge cake Sad wish i could so much more.
We are considering doing the horse refuge now the stables are finished, a huge can of worms to be opened Smile And want a kennels built asap for a few fosters to help out 'El Capricho' Also up to help out for fund raising for them Smile
Saci...... I don't mind helping out, but i don't get alot of spare time (way to many horses and dogs at the mo) perhaps we could start by fundraising for the 'El Capricho' get some posters sorted etc and go from there, every small bit counts Very Happy Cave Bunny will know more than i do on what they need.
HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:08 pm

HappyChic wrote:Arhhhhh bless, nice one on the home for the dog Very Happy Sadly it can be replaced by so many more needing shelter eh ! But everybit helps in a big way.
Thanx for comment CB but nah, just a sprinkling of iceing on a huge cake Sad wish i could so much more.
We are considering doing the horse refuge now the stables are finished, a huge can of worms to be opened Smile And want a kennels built asap for a few fosters to help out 'El Capricho' Also up to help out for fund raising for them Smile
Saci...... I don't mind helping out, but i don't get alot of spare time (way to many horses and dogs at the mo) perhaps we could start by fundraising for the 'El Capricho' get some posters sorted etc and go from there, every small bit counts Very Happy Cave Bunny will know more than i do on what they need.

How about a sponsored Wii Sword Fighting Session lol!
Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:56 pm

Now that a thought!!!!
Anyone wanna challenge TWS to a Wii Sword fight ??????????????????
lol!
Summer fund raising patio party i think !!!!!!!!!!
HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:45 pm

C'mon Touché Turtle, let's be 'avin ya lol!
Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:32 pm

Sorry Saci, I don't think they have stickers, but it's a good idea and I'll mention it. They have no marketing tools and no spare cash to produce them at the mo. But to raise money, they'll need them.

I may also suggest a meeting/open day where people who want to help can attend.

Very Happy
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:45 am

We have set a date to start the Boot Fair stall along with the guys from 'El Capricho'
Our first one will be the 26th June................But although we have had some amazing donations, we still need more items to sell.
Please could you all have a clear out to help the dogs ?
Items can be collected please Pm Me, Cave Bunny Or Twisted Fire Starter, or drop off at Debbies 'New2You' Shop on the Industrial Estate on the way to Baza..............
No matter how small, every item will help towards the upkeep of the rescued dogs and will go along way to help us all on this huge struggle to keep this place going!!!!!
'El Capricho' is full to the brim, No more dogs can be taken in at present, cash donations, building materials, dog walkers, and most importantly HOMES are so so so needed.
Can anyone help in anyway?
Kari x
HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobiker56 Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:48 am

I was just wondering, you have some good things at the boot sale on a Sunday, could you not put a stall in Vista or another location, if it was allowed and they are happy to have it. It would generate more customers for them too with coffee etc. There are no true second handshops for a long way. Especially if it was run like Oxfam etc. with prices and clean washed and ironed clothes etc.
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

http://cuevaleon.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:22 am

There is a small stall at the far end of Vista which Carol kindly gives rent free.

There is also a digital photo frame in action which displays some of the dogs available for adoption. We did explore the whole "charity shop" idea before and there were a number of complex issues at the time prohibiting that venture. It's possible that it will get looked into again sometime soon though.
Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by cavern Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:07 pm

As TFS says gobiker, Carol does already generously let us have a stall in Vista and it has done really well so far this year. Rather than another stationary outlet, where you get the same group of people all the time, albeit some of them really generous.

We think it a better idea to move a stall around the region to spread the word to people who have not yet heard of El Capricho. So we are looking into the regular markets , such as Galera, Orce etc etc ( we know the Mayors are dog lovers at those 2, that helps Wink ) but if anybody has any useful tips on what other ares we could possibly look into, we would be very grateful for help and advice.
cavern
cavern

http://www.piablepebble.wix.com/cuevas-bazavista

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down