The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you still living the dream?

2 posters

Go down

Are you still living the dream? Empty Are you still living the dream?

Post by tallbob Fri May 31, 2013 12:20 pm

Everyone will probably have their different reasons for living where we do, but in view of the biggest worldwide recession, unemployment in Spain particularly amongst young people reaching unheard of levels, and the exchange rate working against most expats, why is anyone still here?

I will tell you about my circumstances as to why I ended up inland in the mountains and why i'm coming back, I am not one of those guys who says everything about the UK is bad and Spain is superb, but each has their own good and bad points

Scrolling back to about 2004 the partner I had then had a childhood friend who had purchased a place in Camposol near Mazarron and raved about her place in the sun, so we went on a viewing trip which was a very relaxed affair all it did was confirm that I could never live there, but we loved Mazarron and she bought a place which we used for holidays etc, anyway that relationship ended but I had been bitten by the Spain bug

I looked at various places in Spain but I couldn't afford to live on the coast so inland it was, Huescar was a lot better than other towns I had seen it was still Spanish but with just enough brits that I could get my brit fix without going for a full english each morning

in 2005 I sold my business, bought my place which at the time was on a small urbanisation, then after a year or so I bought my cave, and I loved it.

Having a menu del dia, sightseeing, waking up most mornngs to glorious sun, then I started spending some time up at Albir near Benidorm playing cricket, and with that I had the best of both worlds

Then in 2010 I got badly cheated back in the UK and had to rush back, anyway the guy got a few years in jail for fraud and I was back to square one, but I still had my cave.

now it's 2013 I have just been back to my little cave with my fiancee and although I had no electric for the entire 2 weeks ( long story ) she is now bitten by the Spain bug, so the house is up for sale, we are getting married next summer, my business is doing okay I have new agents, and things are looking good

The exchange rate is not ideal it was about 1.50 when I was first out, but our cost of living will be so much lower, at the moment 1,300 a year council tax, almost 400 a year car tax, tv licence, I could go and on

so that's me, but why are YOU still here?
tallbob
tallbob

Back to top Go down

Are you still living the dream? Empty Re: Are you still living the dream?

Post by miron Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:01 pm

I've only been in this part of Spain for 4 years, and it just get's better!
Beautiful cave, garden for flowers and a bit of land for growing, really friendly neighbours, amazing countryside for walking and hiking, laid-back lifestyle, the challenge of learning a new language, all-night fiestas, lots of custom and tradition, birds, insects and plants galore, lamb chops on the barbecue, yummy home-made wine to try, family in Granada so plenty of opportunity for weekends in the city with more shops and culture. I could go on!
Mind you, I enjoyed living in Leicester for 25 years too - friendly neighbours,real ale, live music, loads of cultural events, etc etc.......
I'd find it hard to live in a little terraced house again after living here tho!

miron

Back to top Go down