The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Hello to all at cave living

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello to all at cave living

Post by Him & Her on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:02 pm

Hello, we are new to your brilliant site and the whole idea of cave living. A friend of ours has just brought a lovely 3 bed cave house in Freila and introduced us to the idea, we have our first visit to Gelera and have booked a week in a cave house in June and can't wait, we will start the process of looking at villages and properties we have 2 small dogs and think we would prefer life inland to the coast as we love to walk and there seems so much to do and see. We hope to take early retirement in about 5 years but would like to buy before then and have holidays, settle and make friends before the big move. I am sure I will have lots of questions to ask, although just reading the postings some of my questions are getting answered already.

What advice could you please offer the complete newbies to cave living, what should we look for ? What should we avoid ? We must have some outside space not acres but a bit of space to grow a few veggies in raised beds, pots etc and for the dogs but can already see many houses only have a patio area, will this prove very difficult ? Are the caves damp? I have not seen any wardrobes in any details so far so where do you hang your clothes, I thought possibly you keep one bedroom as a dressing room? And how about the temperature is it really 18 - 22 all the time? Do you have to paint every year ? Sorry to ask so many questions and I am sure there will be many more. Thank you so much in advance we are so looking forward to our first trip out in June  Smile
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello to all at cave living

Post by Ken on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:10 pm

Treat it all with the same caution you would do in the UK. Survey! Good and trusted Solicitor and negative as it sounds.....treat everyone with caution. There are good trades people here, Spanish and Ex Pat. The same with Estate Agents and solicitors. Please remember, if things go wrong and they do.... The legal process is slow, expensive and doesn't seem to work.
Take sensible precautions and I am sure you will find the right property and be happy.
We have been here for eight years and have been happy.....and lucky, ax many others have been too.
My advice would be to rent somewhere for six months
and check out the area properly. It will give you time to find out about medical registration, legal requirements and what is available. I know it sounds negative, but I would say the same about any area in Spain. Good Luck.

Ken

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by pete_l on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:00 pm

I bought my cave house several years before I came out here permanently. Some observations:

First, as you mention there is little in the way of built-in storage (unless you are prepared to dig some out yourself - but that has limitations). You may have to obtain permission from the local Town Hall - you seem to need permission for pretty much *any* changes you make. Though that can vary depending on whuch town you live in. Also, the lack of a loft means you'll need some extra space, beyond your normal living rooms, for all the stuff we inevitably accumulate.

So far as visits, go. Don't forget that even when you're not in Spain, the weeds, bushes and trees will keep growing. So expect to spend the first few days of every trip sorting out whatever outside space you have.

Caves generally aren't damp. But when you're away, there will be a need for air circulation and ventilation, or you can get mouldy / musty smells building up. And no: the myth about a "constant temperature" isn't true.  Whenever I arrived back at my cave house, the inside temp. would be somewhere in the 10° - 16° range, depending on whether it was winter or summer. Right now the thermometer in my main living room reads 13°C. Cave houses tend to be quite old structures, and the building standards at the time weren't the greatest - so expect single-glazing (brrrr.), draughty doors and windows and open chimneys: straight up into the air - funneling all your heated air out of the house. When you live in a place full-time, the heat of living: cooking, powered appliances, etc. will produce some heat - which may be enough depending on an individual cave. However, you'll definitely need heating during the year. But on the upside: during the summers when it can reach 40°, the inside remain nice and cool, so you can sleep comfortably. My bedrooms (at the back of the cave) never get much above 16°, so I *do* like my electric blanket.

So far as painting goes: see the bit about building standards. There does always seem to be something that needs doing in a cave. The "painting every year" thing is an old spanish tradition (around easter-time IIRC) as they use really crap, cheap, whitewash instead of paint. That doesn't last long and the tradition is to just slap on another coat every year. it's cheap: a 25kg bag of "cal" will cost a few euros and make 100 litres - but flakes off readily. There's an old american saying: too poor to paint, too proud to whitewash. The spanish cave-owners weren't too proud ...

So far as buying goes: see Ken's answer. My impression is that you shouldn't expect anyone in the spanish bureaucracy to be "fighting your corner". Even your solicitor is there mainly to make sure the paperwork is completed and the taxes paid - he/she isn't looking out for your protection and the chances of getting money back after the deal is done is very small. There's also nothing like the sellers information forms that you (as a buyer) would get in the UK, that have any legal standing so far as describing the state of a property is concerned. You're basically on your own. Also, be aware that once you buy a house: it's yours. If you want to sell (due to a change of heart or circumstances) it can take years - literally: years, and be expensive since the selling costs are high and property prices are still dropping.

While all this sounds very pessimistic, it's just different from the UK - as is any foreign country  Smile  and most people get through it all with only minor issues. Just keep your eyes open, assume nothing, see lots and lots of places in different parts of the country and don't make the mistake of falling in love with a property - blinding yourself to any faults.

pete_l

http://www.pete-lynch.com/la_casa.html

Back to top Go down

Post by clifford on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:04 pm

It all depends what you are looking for. We have 4 dogs now, and 2 cats and only have a walled in patio area of about 50m2. We have lots of potted plants, but don't bother with veggies etc as there are loads of cheap but good quality veg at all the local markets. As stated in other posts, if you are not planning to move straight out here, any outside space will require a lot of you holiday time to maintain it.
Do you want to live in a town, village or out in the campo with no neighbours or noise?
Do you want to buy a ready to live in cave, a newly refurbished cave, or a project, to complete yourselves over time?
Once you've been to Galera in June you'll be able to see what the areas are like, and exactly what you can get for your money. But I agree that you maybe should look at renting for a while before buying.
Don't take anyones word as gospel, keep your eyes open and the blinkers in a draw at home. Even down to mobile signals, check yourself don't take someone's word for it, or the internet(Habland is great but you need line of sight to hills above Huescar), electric and even down to mains water.
Inland Spain is a cracking area to live, and I'm sure you and your dogs will love it out here. It was the best move we ever made.
clifford

Back to top Go down

Post by Him & Her on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:44 pm

We just wanted to say thank you so much to everybody who have been kind enough to reply to our postings, the members of both this site and the Andalusian.com forum have been so helpful and positive although I think realistic, we have lived in Cyprus before and were members on a couple of expat sites there but they were not as good as this, it makes us even more keen to explore the villages and make future plans and hopefully some new friends along the way. Thank you
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:00 pm

Welcome to the forum and the best area in Spain.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way when you judge him, you will be a mile away, and have his shoes...

Dave
Admin

http://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Metaldunk on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:20 am

Welcome! Ask the forum anything you need to know.

We're just back from a holiday week at the coast, and both said how we prefer it round here once back at home again (Discussed whilst eating some great local free tapas).
Metaldunk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Cullis on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:43 am

Welcome to the forum.

We charged right in and chose our cave within a couple of weeks of arriving, but we were fairly certain that we wanted to buy a place, and what we found ticked every box we could think of, so we pressed the 'buy it now' button.

But as other have said, renting for a few months makes sense and means you can take your time, especially working out where you want to live. One big decision is how close you want to be to larger towns like Baza for shopping and services.

As well as renting 'ordinary' houses you could rent some caves in a few different areas to get a feel for what it's like.

Cave characteristics are affected by the rock the cave is dug from, some rock has more crystals and the walls need more attention. It appears our cave is warmer than Pete's, see http://caveliving.forummotion.com/t6169-5c-outside-17c-inside-and-no-heating
Tim Cullis

Back to top Go down

Update

Post by Him & Her on Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:49 pm

Daisymay1 wrote:Hello, we are new to your brilliant site and the whole idea of cave living. A friend of ours has just brought a lovely 3 bed cave house in Freila and introduced us to the idea, we have our first visit to Gelera and have booked a week in a cave house in June and can't wait, we will start the process of looking at villages and properties we have 2 small dogs and think we would prefer life inland to the coast as we love to walk and there seems so much to do and see. We hope to take early retirement in about 5 years but would like to buy before then and have holidays, settle and make friends before the big move. I am sure I will have lots of questions to ask, although just reading the postings some of my questions are getting answered already.

What advice could you please offer the complete newbies to cave living, what should we look for ? What should we avoid ? We must have some outside space not acres but a bit of space to grow a few veggies in raised beds, pots etc and for the dogs but can already see many houses only have a patio area, will this prove very difficult ? Are the caves damp? I have not seen any wardrobes in any details so far so where do you hang your clothes, I thought possibly you keep one bedroom as a dressing room? And how about the temperature is it really 18 - 22 all the time? Do you have to paint every year ? Sorry to ask so many questions and I am sure there will be many more. Thank you so much in advance we are so looking forward to our first trip out in June  Smile

Just a quick update, we have just had our offer accepted on a fab cave in the beautiful Galera we are over the moon, everybody we have met have been wonderful and so welcoming, the area is everything we wished for and more. Only holidays at first but to live in the not too distant future without wishing our lives away. Happy days
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiny on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:45 pm

Welcome and good luck with everything.
Maybe we can get MTBking on one of your trips!

Shiny

Back to top Go down

Post by miron on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:19 am

Hi and congratulations on finding a cave! 
You haven't said if there is any land with it, and I thought you'd like to know that an initiative is being launched in the area for a 'Banco de Tierras' - where people with land to spare (maybe cos too old to cultivate it / living away from the area etc) are linked with people needing land to cultivate. It's in the early stages at present - I went to a meeting in our village (Castillejar) a few days ago to hear about it so by the time you are ready to move out more permanently it might be up and running!

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by Him & Her on Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:28 pm

miron wrote:Hi and congratulations on finding a cave! 
You haven't said if there is any land with it, and I thought you'd like to know that an initiative is being launched in the area for a 'Banco de Tierras' - where people with land to spare (maybe cos too old to cultivate it / living away from the area etc) are linked with people needing land to cultivate. It's in the early stages at present - I went to a meeting in our village (Castillejar) a few days ago to hear about it so by the time you are ready to move out more permanently it might be up and running!

Hi Miron, alas no land a nice little garden but the house of our dreams, you can't have everything, we plan to try and find a lock up or garage in the village if such a thing exists in Galera.
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Post by Him & Her on Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:30 pm

Shiny wrote:Welcome and good luck with everything.
Maybe we can get MTBking on one of your trips!

Thank you and Gary is already thinking a new bike !
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Spanish Recipes