The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gas check again

+26
Lyndyloo
invicta
musketeera
Metaldunk
Ponderosa
cavern
Sandy
Ian Sharp
Blatantadvertising.com
bigcol
Jenny
pebbles
mame
Mac
Gobiker56
winemaker
sierra_satellites
Gayle
1940thom
David_B
Ken
john the artist
cazcove
Imagemaker
Dave
Boothjendar
30 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Gas check again Empty Is this a SCAM ????

Post by Boothjendar Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:46 pm

I've just had 3 guys arrive unannounced at my door wishing to inspect my Gas and issue a Certifacdo de Revision. I was curious enough to let 2 of them in one of whom spoke almost perfect English, he simply disconnected my gas bottle and told me it would be €42 for a certificate which lasted 5 years and this is something by law we must have. I don't doubt for a minute that we perhaps need a new certificate as we've been in our cave for almost 4 years but I didn't ask these guys to call and it seemed odd to me that not only did they appear without invitation but one spoke really good English even though they appeared to have official paperwork I refused to let them do anything, and then upon looking at other Spain Forums it would appear that this unsolicited visit is wide spread and perhaps a scam as the Certificate in question can be obtained for €7 from your local installer - has anyone else experienced this ? was it a Scam ?
Boothjendar
Boothjendar

Back to top Go down

Gas check again Empty Re: Gas check again

Post by Dave Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:06 pm

I think this is the same as in a previous post by Go Biker in the members only forum.
Dave
Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Boothjendar Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:29 pm

Thanks Dave

It would appear this IS A Scam - luckily I paid them nothing and managed to get to my Neighbours in time for them to cancel their payment.

For info its 3 guys dressed in Grey work clothes (quite smart) driving a white Berlingo type van
Boothjendar
Boothjendar

Back to top Go down

Post by Imagemaker Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:01 pm

See Gobiker's posting on this subject......it's not a 'scam' per se as they are trying to get you to replace out of date stuff (legit - especially in the case of gas bottle hoses which have a 'replace' date), buying replacements from them, rather than buying the items a whole lot cheaper in a 'todo' shop. Just tell them you will sort it and ask them to leave.......and then go to a Chinese todo shop for your replacements.
Imagemaker
Imagemaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Boothjendar Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:06 pm

Thanks Imagemaker,

It wasn't the replacing of items which concerned me as they didn't check anything - it was the strong arm tactics in trying to extract €42 from me for a certificate which costs €7 and once I told them to F**K off they said they'd report me to the autorities for an out of date certificate then went next door to con my neighbours !!
Boothjendar
Boothjendar

Back to top Go down

Post by Imagemaker Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:13 pm

Not a pleasant experience - thing is, how many people have they frightened into handing over cash. This is something we should all be mentioning to friends and neighbours as a warning to be on their guard.
Imagemaker
Imagemaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:31 am

I think the answer to these people is as you say 'go forth and multiply' Surely they have no right to enter your home without you asking them in?
Ultimately the thing to do is make sure that your gas appliances are 100% spot on, remembering to use the correct LPG hose and fittings.
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Boothjendar Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:22 am

Its the offical nature of these guys which caught be unawares - it was only after they convinced me to let them in I realised something wasn't quite right. I've checked all the other Spanish expat forums and this Scam is widespread - so beware all

The Certificado de Revision IS a requirement but for those of you with a Gas bottle supply contract you can get the Delivery driver to sort it out for you as part of the service - or if you simple buy your Gas as and when needed then you can get an inspection from any Installer who (providing all is ok) will issue you one for arround 7 euros

Your hoses are all marked with an expiry date - so its simple to check yourself and the regulators are only subject to a visual inspection which if ok means theirs no need to change every 5 years

Hope no-one else falls foul of this Scam - I suspect they where doing work for their company in the area and opportunly drove around looking for the tell tale expat signs - Sat dish, Eng Veh Reg etc

Good Luck
Boothjendar
Boothjendar

Back to top Go down

Post by cazcove Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:36 pm

there was a write up in one of the news papers a couple of months ago saying this is a scam as they do not call on you they dont do it to spanish as they know better

cazcove

Back to top Go down

Gas check again Empty scams in general

Post by john the artist Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:14 pm

If you are renting holiday property via on line sites beware of the increasing amount of scams. Most are from bogus people asking if you can accommodate wedding groups or company personnel and suggesting you send credit card details. You can tell by the names they use,it just does not ring true. As regards anyone who turns up at my door,I tell them to go away until I can check on them,try asking them for an address that you will check with the police.That usually works. talking of the police ,we have had a number of homes broken into around here,so far the score stands at robbers 5 Police 0.

PS I have art exhibition on end of Oct,see What's on for more info.

Last edited by john the artist on Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to add)
john the artist
john the artist

http://www.Funcards.co.cc            www.moosproject.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:32 pm

It is a scam, we received a letter from Repsol warning us about six months ago.
They turned up at our place and my wife sent them away until I was back. I challenged them and they were adamant that they wanted to inspect the gas installation.
They had paperwork from a company in Jaen. They were really persistent and so was I and they eventually slung their hook.

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by David_B Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:51 pm

Ken,
This could be genuine, we were trying to set up a gas contract with repsol last time we were over and some Spanish friends of ours in Benamaurel said that repsol were carrying out inspections on all houses at the moment. Apparently they do it every 3 or 5 years, I forget what figure they said.
Always good to be on your guard though!
David
David_B
David_B

Back to top Go down

Post by cazcove Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:36 pm

yes its a scam i got done 60euros, i read they are not to knock on doors they only do this to expats my spanish neibours have never had them knock

cazcove

Back to top Go down

Post by 1940thom Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Thanks for all that good advice. I too, had an unsolicited caller who when told it wasn't convenient went away but made a promise to return but didn't

1940thom

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:02 pm

Dave
In the letter we received from Repsol they said they NEVER make unsolicited visits. The would do it by appointment

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by Gayle Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:21 pm

Very interesting and informative. We've had nothing like that in our neck of the woods yet but it has encouraged me to be on my guard. I think the thing with us expats is that we want to do everything above board and correct so when something or someone seemingly official turns up talking about inspections and certificates you want to do the right thing. Well done for getting rid of them though Boothjendar and for warning the neighbours in time. Also thank you for letting us know how to do it properly on your own terms and for bringing this to our attention.

Gayle
Gayle
Gayle

Back to top Go down

Post by sierra_satellites Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:08 pm

I'd like to see their reaction to the apearance of a video camera. It's worth getting one out, so you can use it afterwards if you need to.
sierra_satellites
sierra_satellites

Back to top Go down

Post by winemaker Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:02 am

We've had electricians here saying that my main fuse needs changing and it will cost 50 euros!!! Also that I should upgrade to a higher level of electric to serve all my appliances. I told him no wasn't interested as everything runs fine, he said that the fuse needed to be changed legally...
Also he had been to loads of english around the area as he was showing us their bills and copies of their NIE and telling us that they were having it done.
Whilst he was there some friends turned up (spanish) and it turned out that they went to school with this mans brother they talked for a while and then he said ok thats it bye to me and we haven't seen him since.

winemaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Imagemaker Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:50 pm

I've just sent a bloke packing (Galera) he was wearing a Junta jumper and had papers on a clip booard. I spoke in English and told him I wasn't interested (he obviously couldn't understand me!) and shut the door. He just went away.........on your guard folks.......they're BACK!! Evil or Very Mad
Imagemaker
Imagemaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobiker56 Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:56 pm

Just been to my house too - told them it wasn't my house and come back in 6 months!! I know the scam now so it was quicker to say that than get involved in protracted arguments!!
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

http://cuevaleon.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:56 pm

Interesting stuff and good to have a heads up on the situation. They haven't been to Fuente Nueva yet (as far as I know) but if they do come calling the German Shepherds will meet them at the door.
Mac
Mac

http://www.livinginacave.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mame Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:05 pm

At ours as well today. Thanks to the forum we knew what they were.

mame

Back to top Go down

Post by pebbles Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:35 pm

well we have 5 'ankle biters' that hopefully wont lick them to death!
pebbles
pebbles

http://www.abiteofspain.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:27 pm

They've been in Los Carriones today. ID cards, official papers, dark navy uniforms. They tried to make us phone a Madrid number to get confirmation that they were pukka. Pretty aggressive in their approach and they left muttering dark threats about fines being issued.
Jenny
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:56 pm

I bet you told them where to go Jenny! Laughing
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down