The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

St George´s day

2 posters

Go down

St George´s day Empty St George´s day

Post by mikey Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Anyone got anything planned to celebrate St George´s day?

The tradition of celebration St George's day had waned by the end of the 18th century after the union of England and Scotland.Nevertheless this timeless link with St George continues today, for example Salisbury holds an annual St George’s Day pageant, the origins of which are believed to go back to the thirteenth century In recent years the popularity of St George's Day appears to be increasing gradually. BBC Radio 3 had a full programme of St George's Day events in 2006, and Andrew Rosindell, Conservative MP for Romford, has been putting the argument forward in the House of Commons to make St George's Day a public holiday. In early 2009 Mayor of London Boris Johnson spearheaded a campaign to encourage the celebration of St George's Day. Today St George's day may be celebrated with anything English from morris dancing to a Punch and Judy show Additional celebrations may involve the commemoration of the 23 April as Shakespeare's birthday/death.

A traditional custom on St George's day is to wear a red rose in one's lapel, though this is no longer widely practised. Another custom is to fly or adorn the St George's Cross flag in some way: pubs in particular can be seen on 23 April festooned with garlands of St George's crosses. It is customary for the hymn "Jerusalem" to be sung in cathedrals, churches and chapels on St George's Day, or on the Sunday closest to it. Traditional English foods and drink may be consumed
mikey
mikey

Location : Watching Torquay United win the FA cup (in my dreams)

Back to top Go down

St George´s day Empty Re: St George´s day

Post by Rosie Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:27 pm

Bugger... All these years & I thought it was all for my birthday! scratch
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:32 pm

Rosie, dont tell me you share your birthday with the best day of the year, OMG, you should be the guest of honour at the st georges day grand party
mikey
mikey

Location : Watching Torquay United win the FA cup (in my dreams)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down