The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was told twice, but I will only say ' Hi All ' just the once...

+8
Sally
Metaldunk
Dave
pete_l
Cavernícola
santamaria
Tim Cullis
amm1007
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Was told twice, but I will only say ' Hi All ' just the once... Empty Was told twice, but I will only say ' Hi All ' just the once...

Post by amm1007 Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:12 pm

I am arriving in Baza this thursday. Hotel booked until Monday
Will hope for bunting and free drinks wherever I go. Very Happy 

Looking for a Cave House , maybe Zujar or Freila, but Baza to Lake area
Cheap and big as possible , a bit like myself....
Was told about this Forum cos I couldnt find any second hand shops online ( apart from the new Rastro thingie )
and have to say, am mightily impressed.

Not often I will say Very Good, not only about the contents but also the members
all seem like nice people , helpful and I am very pleased with the range of furniture and household
goods for sale cos by next monday I plan to have bought a house, which will need furnishing .

Anyone wanna give me advice on which of the villages they think is the best place to live ?
Looking forward to living underground, but prefer a lifestyle a bit more visible and busy.

Hi, and cheers, Andy lol!
amm1007
amm1007

Back to top Go down

Was told twice, but I will only say ' Hi All ' just the once... Empty Re: Was told twice, but I will only say ' Hi All ' just the once...

Post by Tim Cullis Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Welcome to the board.

I'm a relative newbie to the area, but the one big difference compared to the coast around Malaga is just how under populated the area is which means shopping is concentrated in the larger towns.  Have a read of Pete Lynch's blog for some good insights, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tim Cullis
Tim Cullis

Back to top Go down

Was told twice, but I will only say ' Hi All ' just the once... Empty Re: Was told twice, but I will only say ' Hi All ' just the once...

Post by santamaria Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:10 pm

I think if you ask any of us cave dwellers, which is the best village/ hamlet/ town location,  we will all say it's the one we live in. LOL. There is such a variety to choose from....... from very sleepy hamlet no shops , to town 'lots' shops , to village ect.

We stayed in Freila when we first got the cave bug, and planned to buy there or thereabouts but in the end the cave and location chose us.

Have fun this weekend and look forward to hearing how it all works out. Very Happy
santamaria
santamaria

http://www.cuevasantamaria.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cavernícola Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:30 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum and the area, good luck with your hunting.

Only thing I would recommend is have a good look at the areas you fancy, go back at different times of the day & weekends.

Do not rush into buying have a good look at the caves and go back for a 2nd & 3rd look or more if needed.
Cavernícola
Cavernícola

Back to top Go down

Post by pete_l Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:19 pm

amm1007 wrote:Will hope for bunting and free drinks wherever I go.  Very Happy 
And if you've chosen the right agents, I'm sure that's what you'll get What a Face 

My view of cave-shopping is: many are called, but few are chosen.
If it's just you looking, on your own, go for numbers. Make sure the agents are very clear on whatever stipulations you have in mind (they'll probably only hear phrases that contain the word "euros", and then assume you're game for anything up to 50% more).
If you're a cash buyer, you can afford to be extremely cheeky in making offers. Just be aware that most caves aren't "for sale" as a brit would understand the term - i.e. need to sell to finance the house they want to buy. It seems to me that a lot of the properties are simply empty: waiting for an individual with lots of £££ burning a hole (as spaniards know that all foreigners are rich and "can afford it") and are prepared to wait until someone offers the outrageous amount they reckon ('cos spaniards are also extreme optimists) they could get - and which goes up every year, in line with inflation confused 
However, the prospect of €€€'s in the 5 -figures, that coud be in their pockets in time for christmas, can be a great motivator. Especially if they know someone will get lucky this week  - why shouldn't it be them. Just make sure the paperwork is all in order, the power and water are demonstrated as working, the structure is sound, there's a mobile phone signal and that the sellers don't get too lucky!.

G'luck

pete_l

http://www.pete-lynch.com/la_casa.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:36 pm

welcome to the forum Andy. We look forward to hearing more about your hunt for a cavehouse. with the euro getting slightly better it must be a good time to sniff out a bargain.
Dave
Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by amm1007 Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:56 pm

Dave wrote:welcome to the forum Andy. We look forward to hearing more about your hunt for a cavehouse. with the euro getting slightly better it must be a good time to sniff out a bargain.
Thanks Dave. Well, I know what I am looking for, how much and roughly where , so reckon 4 days should do it .
Let's see . But I live and am resident in Spain, so regardless of value versus Sterling or any other, it still seems a cheap enough place to live to me !
amm1007
amm1007

Back to top Go down

Post by Metaldunk Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:49 pm

Hi Andy

welcome to this useful forum

Have a good look at neighbours around and talk to them too for any pros and cons advice!

Must be a great time to buy
Metaldunk
Metaldunk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:25 pm

Hi Andy - welcome to the Forum. We came out looking for a cave 9 years ago and I was determined to have found one and be signing on my birthday which was 2 days later. We did it! I have never, ever regretted the move and LOVE living in a cave, in fact can't imagine NOT living in a cave in this climate. Both our daughters/sons-in-law and grandchildren live with us in separate parts of the cave but, as they are all soon to be on the move (still in the area, still in caves!) we are reluctantly putting it up for sale. Just hope, if it sells, we can find another, smaller cave that we can love just as much.

Have fun - can't wait to hear how it goes. x
Sally
Sally

http://www.cuevapedro.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying Dogs Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the Forum and good luck with finding a Cave and the right Village for you. Definately great living in a Cave both in Summer & Winter over here.

Flying Dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by amm1007 Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:01 pm

Tim Cullis wrote:Welcome to the board.  

I'm a relative newbie to the area, but the one big difference compared to the coast around Malaga is just how under populated the area is which means shopping is concentrated in the larger towns.  Have a read of Pete Lynch's blog for some good insights, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Hi Tim

Hope you have settled in by now then ?
And yes, having been in Baza and surrounding villages, for a few days now, I can see that furniture or ' all those other bits under one roof ' stuff ( like Ikea / Alcampo / Bauhaus ) don't exist.

Have succeeded in buying a place in Zujar,deposit paid today ! Very Happy 

Did think there was would be an Ikea in Granada by now, but no.....Malaga or Murcia, wow, it's a day trip !
Only ' big shop ' closest to, will be Alcampo in Granada ( Armilla )
But not looking to spend a fortune, good 2nd hand will do ( been to the Rastros shop ..expensive ' tat ' , and this mornings boot sale ..selectively quite good ) otherwise looks like I am gonna take up skip diving or buying off the forum. As long as it fits my exacting standards , and is well made and fit for purpose , that'll do for me .
Ohhh and incredibly cheap too.....of course Exclamation 

Cheers, Andy
amm1007
amm1007

Back to top Go down

Post by amm1007 Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:38 pm

santamaria wrote:I think if you ask any of us cave dwellers, which is the best village/ hamlet/ town location,  we will all say it's the one we live in. LOL. There is such a variety to choose from....... from very sleepy hamlet no shops , to town 'lots' shops , to village ect.

We stayed in Freila when we first got the cave bug, and planned to buy there or thereabouts but in the end the cave and location chose us.

Have fun this weekend and look forward to hearing how it all works out. Very Happy
Hooray, I can reply.........that 7 day wait to reply seemed like a week ! :roll

Yes, I know what you mean, especially if it's a permanent home and / or business
but mine is only a holiday home , so felt the location was important to me .
( and its only 2 to 2.5 hours , so could use it more often.....and I do like the general area and its totally
different to anywhere around the Coast, so it is a case of the change being as good as a rest ! Smile )

Chose Zujar....picked up a bargain , I think and there's enough in the village for me
and few mins to the lake  / spa / Jabalcon and Baza, so ideally suits my lifestyle and interests.

Back Home now......enjoyed myself thanks.....will be back for longer when completion happens.
Met some lovely people , everyone seems to be relaxed and happy in the area and cave-living , so good news !
amm1007
amm1007

Back to top Go down

Post by miron Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi and a belated welcome to the forum! it's great that you've found somewhere in such a nice spot! There are a couple of furniture places in Baza but it's going to be a while before IKEA Granada opens.

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by Metaldunk Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:25 pm

Have a look on the industrial estate mentioned recently on another thread.. from Baza, past the hospital, then on the left. big green place Nortegra - their site [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] And another on the front of that estate... Habitacle.
Metaldunk
Metaldunk

Back to top Go down

Post by Metaldunk Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:33 pm

you said IKEA in Granada.. is it going to be at the usual commercial area Miron?.. no, nothing Debs... no IKEA... Laughing 
Metaldunk
Metaldunk

Back to top Go down

Post by miron Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:47 pm

Yes Debs, IKEA IKEA. It's planned to be in Pulianas, in the commercial park there. It's just waiting on the property company that is developing the park to finalise buying up more land, so it will happen just not yet! Apparently each year 250,000 people from Granada travel to Malaga to shop at IKEA, and hordes of people from Jaen and Almeria are expected to use the new store. Not sure if I'm too excited about it myself but i'm probably an exception! My brother-in-law in Granada is over the moon about Decathlon opening in Pulianas and says it's doing good business - he used to drive to the one in Malaga.

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by amm1007 Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:38 am

Cavernícola wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum and the area, good luck with your hunting.

Only thing I would recommend is have a good look at the areas you fancy, go back at different times of the day & weekends.

Do not rush into buying have a good look at the caves and go back for a 2nd & 3rd look or more if needed.
How-de-doo-deee and thanks......luck was with me and bought ( buying ) a 2/3 bedder , reformed only last year !
Went back 3 times . Felt like a burglar Shocked Think I got away with it though .
I can make up ( and clearly did ) my mind quite quickly about house, area, village , proximity.
pros and cons anywhere / everywhere.......but it felt good, cosy , nice to me
Job done methinks .
amm1007
amm1007

Back to top Go down

Post by amm1007 Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:08 am

pete_l wrote:
amm1007 wrote:Will hope for bunting and free drinks wherever I go.  Very Happy 
And if you've chosen the right agents, I'm sure that's what you'll get What a Face 

My view of cave-shopping is: many are called, but few are chosen.
If it's just you looking, on your own, go for numbers. Make sure the agents are very clear on whatever stipulations you have in mind (they'll probably only hear phrases that contain the word "euros", and then assume you're game for anything up to 50% more).
If you're a cash buyer, you can afford to be extremely cheeky in making offers. Just be aware that most caves aren't "for sale" as a brit would understand the term - i.e. need to sell to finance the house they want to buy. It seems to me that a lot of the properties are simply empty: waiting for an individual with lots of £££ burning a hole (as spaniards know that all foreigners are rich and "can afford it") and are prepared to wait until someone offers the outrageous amount they reckon ('cos spaniards are also extreme optimists) they could get - and which goes up every year, in line with inflation confused 
However, the prospect of €€€'s in the 5 -figures, that coud be in their pockets in time for christmas, can be a great motivator. Especially if they know someone will get lucky this week  - why shouldn't it be them. Just make sure the paperwork is all in order, the power and water are demonstrated as working, the structure is sound, there's a mobile phone signal and that the sellers don't get too lucky!.

G'luck
Hello Peter
Nice Blogs , if that's not too personal ?

Thanks for the wishes of Good Luck......I dont believe in Good Luck, just good planning , brains and an extraordinary level of ' cheek ' or read that as knowing the market ?
Sorry, sounds smug and arrogant...but you mentioned the magic phrase yourself.......'' its cash ''.....
but also '' and how soon would you like to complete '' ? ( works wonders pirat )

I have also dealt with many agents , and it seems to me there is a golden rule in ' los ladrónes ' who always seem to be around like bees to the proverbial honey pot, market rising or falling , smelling money to be made...and seldom for a professional service, generally a total con-job or stitch up for those less prepared or sceptical .
( when  I first came to Spain, one such ' blaggard of a Brit ', tried to up a 200k seling price by 34k....sort of 2 or 3 times  a spanish wage ?? )

But yes, the Spanish can and will happily sit on their prices til the market lifts or some ' eejit ' pays it !
Extranjeros or possibly cash strapped Spanish Developers won't .
I chose the former....seemed to work well.

I also chose 2 agents , one was typically ex-pat , aka selfish Moron ( agent-wise I mean ! )
the other was as near to perfection as I could hope ( Nick of Rusticom )
having bust my cruciate ligament ( I found out today ) but having forewarned walking was a bit tough, he almost carried me down any nasty inclines.
And whilst he did appreciate the euros at hand, he also represented his clients superbly.
Plus he was a really lovely guy.

so looks like completion around 19/11....and forgive me .....but '' I'll be back '' cheers
and very much looking forward to it , too !
amm1007
amm1007

Back to top Go down

Post by amm1007 Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:23 am

Metaldunk wrote:Hi Andy

welcome to this useful forum

Have a good look at neighbours around and talk to them too for any pros and cons advice!

Must be a great time to buy
Hi MD
agreed, very useful....have bought nothing so far, since dont have the house yet, but been looking for ' stuff '
and it's all here, for sure .
' Have a good look at Neighbours ' .....really ??????? scratch  
Do you mean to see if they have washed in the last month , or wear designer clothes ?? Laughing 
Did meet 2 lovely neighbours
and they were 100% ' pro ' ......no ' cons ' in sight
Was a great time to buy.....heck, 17 rooms plus a heated pool for 25k is a bargain, isnt it ? clown 
Time will tell...don't think the market has bottomed out YET, so factored that into my cruel offer

ps MD , can you stop your Avatar spinnning, after 17 G and T's it's hard to concentrate......
and your address begs a question .......Los Carriones ( can you see Vultures eating road kill from your windows ? )
jocolor
amm1007
amm1007

Back to top Go down

Post by pete_l Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:23 am

amm1007 wrote:Nice Blogs
<blush> Well thank you kind sir (but I'm still not going to .... What a Face )

So it looks like the going rate for a cave house now is about one-third to one-quarter of what it was at the top of the market 6-ish years ago.
As it is, I have a few unreformed rooms attached to my c/h. I had been quoted €20k to turn them into a "granny cave". It looks like that wouldnt be cost effective, it's just cheaper to buy another cave.

So, if you complete around Nov. 19, when should we pencil in for the party?

pete_l

http://www.pete-lynch.com/la_casa.html

Back to top Go down

Post by amm1007 Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:16 pm

pete_l wrote:
amm1007 wrote:Nice Blogs
<blush> Well thank you kind sir (but I'm still not going to ....  What a Face )

So it looks like the going rate for a cave house now is about one-third to one-quarter of what it was at the top of the market 6-ish years ago.
As it is, I have a few unreformed rooms attached to my c/h. I had been quoted €20k to turn them into a "granny cave". It looks like that wouldnt be cost effective, it's just cheaper to buy another cave.

So, if you complete around Nov. 19, when should we pencil in for the party?
Morning Pete  ( really felt like typing Petal )

Well, clearly I am not the expert, but seeing the market prices of most local to Bacor, Freila, Zujar and Baza
certainly in the 3 villages , yes !
ps it isnt really 17 rooms, was joshing there Smile 
It seems simple to me .....some people , only a few , are really desperate to sell, and there were many ' ready to go ' houses for sale under 30k.

Sadly sometimes people's circumstances change personally or financially , and / or they want to ' go home ' ...that decison once made...it's discounts all the way.
( Reminds me of a story in my early career of a salesman reading the Obituaries ?? Cos in a sense we can all be chasing some sort of personal ' ambulance ' , and maybe not know it ? Turned out I was . Sad )

So to reform or not to re........Nope, not at the local builders prices I heard. Apparently he's the ' Top Cave Man ',
but seemed expensive to me. Work is superb though.
Seems the answer is no.....I saw many 2 for the price of 1 caves, side by side, 18k asking , but 12-15k cash for both would be 6 beds and had electrics in to one....its not the shovelling , is it, but the services and finishes that cost the money ?

Very Happy Ahh-haaa.....beat me to it , I did think about saying something last night, but best to wait til the place is mine and its kitted out, like has electrical stuff in the kitchen....so to be advised.
amm1007
amm1007

Back to top Go down

Post by amm1007 Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:56 pm

Sally wrote:Hi Andy - welcome to the Forum. We came out looking for a cave 9 years ago and I was determined to have found one and be signing on my birthday which was 2 days later. We did it! I have never, ever regretted the move and LOVE living in a cave, in fact can't imagine NOT living in a cave in this climate.  Both our daughters/sons-in-law and grandchildren live with us in separate parts of the cave but, as they are all soon to be on the move (still in the area, still in caves!) we are reluctantly putting it up for sale. Just hope, if it sells, we can find another, smaller cave that we can love just as much.

Have fun - can't wait to hear how it goes. x
Hi Sally

Thanks !....so you came a year earlier than me and bought much quicker. I rented for 3 months, wanted to ' feel ' the life as it really was, not like the books or peeps tell you...it's always different . Maybe I have a bit of a Nomad in my blood, whist I live in a house or flat ( now cave , lol ) ...I am often on the move travelling .
In a sense buying the cave satisfies some of that ' Gypsy in me ' ....I can just pack a few things and in a couple of hours, life will have changed enormously. All sea and often tourists, lots of shops......changes to lakes, flatlands or mountains, forests and lovely nature...nearly all Spanish, and basic shops.
Plus whilst I am not much of a drinker, I like the Spanish bar / cafe culture....coffee, lunch and tapas. All the family shouting and screaming together. why talk quietly when the vocal chords can acheive 90 decibels ?? hmm ? bom 

I used to live in a Granada Pueblo ( Gualchos ) but after refurbishing the old house into 2 , and 3 years there....I got a bit concerned I too, might become a bit too ' local ' for comfort. Don't think many of them changed their clothes often and most married ( if ever ) a cousin or something.....beautiful Moorish historic place , but very insular people . affraid 
Hence the move to Algarrobo Costa ( Malaga ) as most of my new friends and interests lived here .

Blimey.....2 days ??? was it love at first sight or are you always that impulsive ?
Mind you, guess I bought in 4 days, but it was planned well .

Must be nice having all the Folks with you ( or not , at times ? ) ..and clearly you enjoy the life here .
Hope you manage to sell and buy well.....and hope mine goes through with no hitches ( fingers crossed ! )
Looking forwards to coming back and spending some time here....organising the house / buying stuff / having a house or cave-warming party  cheers
amm1007
amm1007

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:25 pm

HaHa! There was a plan of the proposed retail park in Pullianas over 10 ears ago that mentioned IKEA... Evil or Very Mad 
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post by amm1007 Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:42 pm

Flying Dogs wrote:Hi Andy,

Welcome to the Forum and good luck with finding a Cave and the right Village for you.  Definately great living in a Cave both in Summer & Winter over here.
Hi F.D.'s ....interesting name .
Were you heavily medicated when that was chosen ?
Thanks, and have found now ( for me ) in Zujar.
Have slept in a cave before, and know they are cool in summer and very toasty in winter
so looking forward to ' roasting my nuts ' at Christmas Rolling Eyes 
Gonna get me the mother of all woodburners !
amm1007
amm1007

Back to top Go down

Post by amm1007 Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:52 pm

miron wrote:Hi and a belated welcome to the forum! it's great that you've found somewhere in such a nice spot! There are a couple of furniture places in Baza but it's going to be a while before IKEA Granada opens.
Hello Miron.......and thanks .
yes, have checked out the furniture places ( few of them anyway )
I will probably go for that ' mix and match / shabby chic look '
or in male terms , old stuff covered in gravy stains , and tidy it up Laughing 
Never was much of a fan of modern sofas or chairs.

Give me a nice old leather Chesterfield any day.......

okay ?....I am waiting ..!!
amm1007
amm1007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next