The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lost and found at El Capricho

+2
Dave
cavern
6 posters

Go down

Lost and found at El Capricho  Empty Lost and found at El Capricho

Post by cavern Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:18 am

It appears someone has accidentally lost a box outside the shelter that contains an English newspaper , Benetton jumper , a towel and 3 puppies ( one with a broken leg ) we have searched but alas there is no cheque for return postage or anything else for that matter.

Please don't do this , you may think it is a kind thing to do but it is impossible for El Capricho to take them into the shelter, one the law won't allow anymore than already there plus they have to be quarantined first or they could be a danger to the existing 25 dogs in the refuge. There is only a limited amount of foster homes and they are always full unless they have been lucky enough to find one of their fosters a home and then a new one is always on the waiting list for a place. Plus I would have thought it pretty clear that El Capricho are constantly battling to pay the existing food and vet bills , not to mention extending the capacity of the shelter to be able to help more.

I am not sure if acting this way leaves your conscience clear and makes you feel better but as we don't know what to do with them maybe you could contact me with suggestions ? In future El Capricho's phone number is 645 238 237 they will work with you, to do the best they can to insure these dogs survive . I am sure you would prefer that than know you were responsible for them having to be euthanized .

On that note is there anybody out there that can take these dogs in ? I know I am probably asking the impossible but at least I can be bothered to ask . One way or another the cost will be covered by El Capricho, all they ask is someone with a heart to give these poor little things some love and a bit of space somewhere .

This situation affects everybody at the shelter and it is why some can't take it and we loose really good hearted volunteers because of it . The people who don't care a less more than likely have well paid jobs at the local pound .

Please PM me ASAP if you think you can help.

cavern
cavern

http://www.piablepebble.wix.com/cuevas-bazavista

Back to top Go down

Lost and found at El Capricho  Empty Re: Lost and found at El Capricho

Post by Dave Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:28 am

Very well said Cavern. Any chance we can get some pictures posted. It would be nice to think that the person (who probably thought they were doing a good thing) will read this and decide to help by maybe taking one to help out.
Thats how you help these animals.
Dave
Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by musketeera Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:51 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
musketeera
musketeera

http://www.ruralpropertydirect.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:56 pm

I dont suppose........[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cavern Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:09 pm

It is the 3 white and ginger pups I have been referring to - the brindle one has much the same story though. Turn your back for 5 minutes and another appears

The 3 are 4 - 5 weeks old , I sincerly hope that it was well checked out that the mother wasn't going to come back for them ( which is more often the case) as they are really far too young to be seperated from Momma . They are eating well though and the little scruffy chappy at the end has the fractured leg , he has been checked out by a vet and the prognosis for the future is good as far as that goes . The middle one is the only little girlie of the bunch .
cavern
cavern

Back to top Go down

Post by musketeera Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:36 pm

The three smaller photo's are of the puppies that were left outside the shelter on Tuesday afternoon - The other was brought to the centre on Saturday.

I am whole heartedly in support of what Cavern has written, El Capricho is not like the animal charities that we're used to in the UK which mostly have sufficient funding to state that they would never put a healthy dog down. We would love to be able to take in every abandoned, sick or injured animal but it's simply impossible.

Over the last month there have been many strays brought in by the dog catcher who at least has the heart to drop by so that we can take photo's of the animals and advertise them for adoption or as lost which gives people the opportunity for a few days to collect or adopt them straight from the holding pound in Baza before they are destroyed. We are all animal lovers and to turn any away is terribly upsetting & frustrating to us all but Baza town hall dictate how many dogs are allowed in the building at any one time and we must obey that or loose the facility.

At this time of year we are all at the end of our tethers with foster dogs that are either injured, in quarantine or simply not able to come into the centre due to number restrictions and to find a box of puppies dumped on the doorstep is soul destroying. One volunteer has taken the four puppies and the only space she has is in the bedroom in her apartment as she has her own dogs to consider (she is sleeping on her sofa). I will be collecting them on Thursday if nobody comes forward to help but I have a partially blind Mastin and new born puppies here at the moment plus my own 3 dogs - All must be kept separated for their own health and safety.

Please help us to help these animals, as Cavern wrote El Capricho can assist you to feed and re home the animals that you find don't just dump them as in some cases you will be sentencing them to death.

musketeera
musketeera

http://www.ruralpropertydirect.com

Back to top Go down

Post by david kirby Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:29 pm

Yes us to Musketeera !! very sad Crying or Very sad
david kirby
david kirby

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobiker56 Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:48 am

I am not sure, but they look suspiciously like the box of puppies at the boot sale last Sunday. That was heartbreaking to say the least, it was only my level headed friend who dissuaded me from taking one. I don't think Poochie would be overjoyed at another dog, as displayed by his reaction to Selena. He is still available for adoption, even though it would be a wrench to let him go. I can then help another dog.
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

http://cuevaleon.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Arntydi Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:53 am

Last edited by Arntydi on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Arntydi

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:29 am

Very good question! I think that Cavern will be along shortly to let everyone know.
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cavern Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:27 pm

Arntydi wrote:Can someone tell me what is involved when you foster with El Capricho? I already have three dogs, and I don't think I could afford to adopt another one, but I might be able to help out with fostering. The little girl puppy is tugging at my heartstrings, but I can't get out there before January, so I can't help in this instance.

Good question -If El Capricho decide taking on a new puppy / dog is necessary and it has not had it's vaccinations , El Capricho will see to all that and it is not advisable for at least 3 weeks for that pup to mix with yours , so if you have a secure, spare cave / garage / camper van or a warm pen of some sort, away from your dogs all will be good . After the 3 weeks quarantine they can all mix if that what is you want or just keep them in the situation they have been used to, as long as they get feeding, lots of love, cuddles and walks they will appreciate all they get, they don't necessarily have to move into your house, although of course it is preferable

If the quarantine is a problem then there are also dogs that have been through this elsewhere and are fit to immediately move in with you and your dogs at first on a trial basis to see how everybody gets on. This way at least it frees up a quarantine home for another .Or maybe gives one of the shelter dogs a taste of real home life , which frees up a much needed pen .

If any veterinary bills crop up El Capricho will cover all the cost and if you need help with food they can supply this as well. Their picture will go on the El Capricho website and if anybody approaches them asking for that sort of dog it will be pre arranged someone will bring them up to see you . Also if you could ask around for a home , that sometimes works better than the website to find them a forever home.

It takes a VERY !!!!!!!!!!!! special person to be a foster , there will be tears when you find them a home but you always have to remember the good you will be doing is so worth it and there will always be another waiting for the same chance of life if you are up for it again .

Arntydi I would settle in first and let your dogs get used to it over here but if you are still in the same mind I would love to talk to you about it and anybody else for that matter that is considering it - No pressure though .

IMPORTANT !!!!!!! please don't just take any strays you find in to foster though ( unless you are going to cover all the costs, if this is the case El cap will put them on the website to help you find them a home ), sometimes dogs can survive on their own, maybe by someone just feeding them now and again, as sad as it is, El Capricho have to prioritise the dogs they take on financially and at the moment it can only be a small number . At the end of the day they have to make the decision and they are Brave men for taking on that responsibilty. Bombarding them with every campo dog helps nobody and is again just soul destroying.

Last edited by cavern on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
cavern
cavern

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:19 pm

Copied and made sticky. sunny
Dave
Dave
Admin