The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greetings from Australia!

+3
KarateKid
Lurchio
pensorter
7 posters

Go down

Greetings from Australia! Empty Greetings from Australia!

Post by pensorter Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:03 pm

HI folks, thanks for my acceptance into an informative forum!
I'm Paul, retired teacher, hoping to join you as a cave- dweller somewhere near Baza later this year.
I've built a stone & log house in the Aussie bush, including quarrying the stone, and also been an expat for 10+ years in Thailand
- speak very good Thai but virtually no Spanish as a result!
My next post will probably be about tracking down cheap accommodation for a few months from May-August to use a base base for cave house hunting.
Here's hoping we meet up sometime!
Cheers, Paul pensorter

pensorter

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Australia! Empty Re: Greetings from Australia!

Post by Lurchio Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:25 pm

Hi there!
Well, it certainly seems that you have the spirit to do it! You should find a good choice of accomodation in the area when you are ready to come over. You will already know that this area is not like 'tourist' Spain, and all the better for that. Its not everyones 'cup of tea', but hey, lifes like that!

I have got a feeling it may well be yours, having said that. Let us know when you are coming over, be good to see you!
Lurchio
Lurchio

Back to top Go down

Post by KarateKid Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:32 am

Hola Paul, we love it here in Galera and cave living, if possible try to learn some basic Spanish words as little English spoken here which is great. Do you cook Thai food?
Be sure to look at lots of properties and decide which way you wish to face for the sun. Warm up in the mornings and cool in the heat or hot in the day and evening. The biggest and best thing we had done before moving in was to have the out build part of the cave insulated. The cave keeps a constant temperature and we are cool in summer and toasty in winter with the log burner. Good luck and here if you have any questions to help.
KarateKid
KarateKid

Back to top Go down

Post by chardonnaygrape Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:19 am

How much is house insurance on a cave house? I have been told that they are uninsurable. Are you worried about them caving in (excuse if that seems a pun!) . My husband won't agree to live in one!!!

chardonnaygrape

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariposa Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:54 am

Hi Chardonnaykgrape.

Type 'Insurance' into the Search box, top right and read the posts there.

Caroline
Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Australia! Empty Cave insurance

Post by KarateKid Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:57 pm

We have cave insurance and the premium is based on the size of the property. We have cave and out build. As far as we understand the cave part has a limited cover but the rest is as for a normal house. Natural water damage is excluded through the rock.
Of course the proof will be if we should need to claim. We have heard mixed stories about insurance but feel happier we have something and it wasn't too expensive.
KarateKid
KarateKid

Back to top Go down

Post by OzziePom Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:05 am

Hi Paul,
Hope you enjoy this part of the world as much as we have. We've been here more than 5 years now!
You'll find another Ozzie at Car-ter- Coche in Huéscar , the relatively new used car business opposite the Repsol, next to the bridge.
Drop us a pm or call in to the showroom when you get here.
Enjoy

OzziePom

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyandJosie Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:47 pm

This blog may be of interest, it followes the process of buying a cave house, moving to the area and day to day life here. There is also a FB page which looks at things to do, interesting article etc, just search for ‘one foot in the cave’ within FB. Blog: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

DannyandJosie

http://www.onefootinthecave.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum