The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will you stay forever

+2
miron
Him & Her
6 posters

Go down

Will you stay forever Empty Will you stay forever

Post by Him & Her Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:41 pm

Just read a really interesting thread on the Andalusian web site and wanted to see what the inland folk thoughts were, as we will hopefully be one full time in a few years and it's a big question.

Do you imagine that you will end your days living in Spain, inland, campo or moving to the coast or nearer a big town or return to the uk or your original homeland ?

If left on your own could you cope, getting to hospitals the doctors, shopping etc and without getting lonely and cut off. I know you can be very lonely here in the Uk even in a town everybody is too busy, is it the same there??

I saw on this site a great idea once that neighbours sign up to look out for each other ie if somebody needs help, a system is in place for the nearest family/person to get a call to assist and if they are not able to help another person would be called, not sure where it was and if other villages do this type of things?

Sorry if it's a depressing subject, really interested to see what your thoughts are and of course I hope your all really healthy and well ! sunny
Him & Her
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Will you stay forever Empty Re: Will you stay forever

Post by miron Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:04 pm

Interesting question - who knows what the future holds? Personally (and I'm speaking purely for myself, not for 'im outdoors) I do see myself staying put long-term; I've been travelling back and forth to the UK several times a year for family reasons for the 5 years I've been in Los Olivos and that phase has just come to an end. So I feel there's loads of things I've just scraped the surface of - growing fruit, veg and flowers; hiking and exploring; bird watching and plant identifying; getting to know new friends better; learning to speak Spanish etc. I don't think I will feel cut off - I've got a phone and really helpful neighbours.
i know the scheme you are thinking of - I think it is called 'Peace of Mind'. I've not felt a need to join it cos I've got a good network of friends and neighbours, but I think other forum members might know more about it. Having said all this, life so far had taught me never to plan too far ahead because things have a habit of changing drastically without asking permission!

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by Cats-R-Us Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:28 am

We have always thought that we would stay where we are but if ever asked say we would "never say never" to moving or returning to the UK as you don't know what the future holds. We have actually lived in our cave home longer than we have ever lived in any other property (just over ten and a half years) and are still quite happy to remain where we are.

The scheme "Peace of Mind" is local to Castillejar but I believe there may be similar schemes in other areas. It is intended for emergency situations where someone is required to meet someone (like an ambulance) at a designated location and lead them to where the problem/emergency is, a lot of cave homes being tucked in out-of-the-way places. It does work as, not long after it was set up, we were called on to meet an ambulance at the local cemetery (unfortunate choice but not far from destination) and were able to lead it down the right track to where the emergency was. Although we would have done this anyway as it was a good friend, it does give people on their own "peace of mind" to know help is available if necessary. Our scheme does not charge anything, it was a case of a very thoughtful neighbour deciding to organise the scheme to help others. As you probably realise, by helping others you can also help yourself as you never know when it could be you needing such help. I believe the person who organised the scheme also discussed it with the Mayor who thought it was such a good idea she was going to do something similar for the local Spanish. I don't know if that took off but it does take someone who is willing to organise things to get the ball rolling.
Cats-R-Us
Cats-R-Us

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:49 pm

Such a sensible idea. The Royal Britidh Legion are pushing a hospital and housebound visitors programme next year. Amongst those are lonely and vulnerable people. Takes a bit of organising and much quicker if done in the local community. All you need is someone to push and champion it. We can all need a bit of care a times. Something us Brits seem to love to do. Well done for highlighting the issue.

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:23 pm

Not forgeting that there is a very good 'Piper lifeline' type of system available for very little cost here in Spain. I accidentally activated our neighbours a while ago and within seconds all hell broke loose with alarms going off and a person at the emergency centre asking if she had s problem.
She did have to use it for real a couple of years ago and after pressing the emergency button, 15 minutes later two paramedics were at her door. Her cave is quite remote. Im not sure of the Spanish name for this, but I believe its organised by the social services.
I should add, shes English lives on her own and is in her nineties
Dave
Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Him & Her Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:52 pm

Dave wrote:Not forgeting that there is a very good 'Piper lifeline' type of system available for very little cost here in Spain. I accidentally activated our neighbours a while ago and within seconds all hell broke loose with alarms going off and a person at the emergency centre asking if she had s problem.
She did have to use it for real a couple of years ago and after pressing the emergency button, 15 minutes later two paramedics were at her door. Her cave is quite remote. Im not sure of the Spanish name for this, but I believe its organised by the social services.
I should add, shes English lives on her own and is in her nineties

Wow that's sounds really good, something for the future for sure, who knew all this could be had, it's a great relief to know this, thanks for all the info cave living peeps Very Happy

santa
Him & Her
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:14 pm

Yep, people need to remember, its the place for info. Social media, great for gossip, but the forums yhe place for info. Very Happy
Dave
Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobiker56 Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:17 pm

I live alone, deffo won't be going back to the UK. Luckily the really good friends I have made here have been there for me in the few emergencies I have had up to now. They check if I have woken up a live every day. I can't fault the medical services, Doctors, hospitals, Ambulances, Opticians etc. I seem to get away with a smattering of Spanish/Spanglish and medical terminology.
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

http://cuevaleon.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum