The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fly Solutions

+3
Twisted Fire Starter
janga
HappyChic
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fly Solutions Empty Fly Solutions

Post by HappyChic Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:51 am

Thought i would share this with you all....... Tried and it works!
Got told by local farmers / goat herders to try 'Agita' 10 WG for my fly problem at my stables, this year the flies have more than trebbled and are a right pain so i went and brought a tub !
Quite expensive at 24.50e a tub added 160ml of water to the tub, that covers 100m2, disolved the granules and painted it on to the walls in squares (about 30 of them 10 x 30cm each) all around the stables and inside the cave.
It is suposed to work for 6 months, after the first day i had a carpet of dead & dying flies all around the stables, swept them up and on the 2nd day the same, the 3rd day the same 4th day the same 5th day the same, 6th day, less but still quite a few..........
The Fly situation after a week is now well under control, unbelievable in fact, now off to buy another tub for our patio and kennels.
Brought mine from the feed merchants as you go into Baza from Benamaurel.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Fly Solutions Empty Re: Fly Solutions

Post by janga Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:25 am

Its very good stuff, we use it on our kennels, stables and all the metal curtains on the house doors. But unfortunately you cant use it on yourself.
Its good for spraying on the patio set when having a BBQ.

janga
janga

http://www.littlebritain.es

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:04 am

Love your avatar Happy Chic sunny . Got told about this stuff last week by a "horsey" lady, going to get some today and will report back !
Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:01 am

Thankyou TFS, my friend draws for pleasure, and now as a bussines, this was one of her drawing.
Im a horsey chic and have been telling everyone all week lol, it was prob me!!!! Smile
HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:07 am

If you're the one that took three of us out then HELLO! Thank you very much for that by the way, the ladies were well made up. Couldn't stop them talking about it.
Right, off to buy some fly napalm now!
Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:18 pm

Its me lol glad u enjoyed it ! Very Happy
HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by La Mancha Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:24 pm

We got this after being mentioned on the old forum some time ago and worked very well we just paint it on the wood above the windows around the patio. We had to get it from Huescar so good to know we can get it somewhere more local.
La Mancha
La Mancha

http://www.cuevademama.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:00 pm

Nice one Very Happy
HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:16 pm

I can remember there being some discussion about this last year. Someone said it stained white walls yellow - is it the same stuff?
Jenny
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:29 pm

It does stain yes, not tried it on white paint tho just on wooden frames and stable walls Razz
HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:21 pm

It can also be sprayed on, which is what I've done today. Will report back with body count Twisted Evil
Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:09 am

Having just had the facade of our cave re-rendered and painted brilliant white, I'm reluctant to paint it with something that's going to stain it dingy yellow. However, eating, drinking & just sitting out on the terrace in the evenings is one of life's major pleasures, so I'm going to get some and paint the timbers supporting the pergola and hope that works.

A note of caution: this is obviously highly toxic stuff. When I opened the link provided by HappyChic the Precautions section said the usual stuff about not ingesting it, not breathing in spray mist and avoiding contact with skin and eyes. It also says there is no known antidote. I'm sure we've all got more sense than to breathe the stuff in or to drink it, but I wouldn't dream of using it in any space that's going to be occupied by children. Sorry if this sounds neurotic, but I have my reasons. There's an established link, for instance, between early exposure to insecticides and the subsequent onset of Parkinson's Disease. My husband lived as a child in Rhodesia, where industrial quantities of DDT (now banned) were sprayed by plane onto the tobacco crops without a thought for the legacy being left behind. He now has advanced Parkinson's - which could, of course, just be coincidence. But this stuff can't become inert once applied, or it wouldn't do the job. At the very least, don't use it on walls etc. which could be reached by children: who knows what they could be ingesting if they touch the wall & then lick their hands? I guess that applies to adults, too.
Jenny
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:47 am

P.S. OH has just informed me that not only were the Rhodesian tobacco crops liberally sprayed with DDT in the late 1940s, but their house was sprayed with it every 6 months on the orders of the government, in an attempt to eliminate mosquitos. Guess they eliminated a few humans along the way, too.

The good news is that we don't have to worry about the risks of using Agita. The worst has already happened, so it would be like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

I'm by no means an environmental campaigner: I drive a car, I frequently use budget airlines and if I could find a weedkiller that would deal with my field, I'd apply it liberally. But the point is that DDT was, in the 1940s, a relatively new, miracle solution. It's no longer regarded as such and is banned worldwide. Be very, very cautious of its successors.
Jenny
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:42 am

Thankyou Jenny, so very informative, and so sad, Parkinson's is an awful illness, i worked for many years within the heath sector and had a lot of dealings with the illness, if ever you need any help or just a carer for a few hours you only have to ask.
Scarey stuff for sure, all insecticides are ! I have put it high enough so as my dogs can not lick it. I am quite wary of using it at home as i love the Lizards & Gechos that have moved in, but it is for certain working well at the stables.
I use a product called Zooveca 'g' as a spray, for the flys at home and also on my dogs for ticks, fleas and to keep the flys at bay, this works well and also has good results and cheap at 7euros a bottle. (you water it down)
I love the stuff but am now going to research it more, all the local ganaderos use it, it has multipurpose use as an insecticida, i am even sending it to the Uk on a regular basis for friends stables, cats & dogs, my friend swears by it to remove house fleas her hoards of cats bring in.
I spray my dogs once a month, the ticks fall off and we never have a flea problem! Wink
HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:52 am

Found this............

G Insecticide acaricide ZOOVECA concentrated solution
[ZOTAL.0014] [ZOTAL.0014] 6.78EUR 6.78EUR

250 ml
Insecticide and miticide containing Diazinon, an active family of organophosphorus cholinesterase inhibition of the parasite.
The formula is a versatile product for the prevention and control of mange mites, ticks and fleas, and is also effective against flies and their larvae, mosquitoes, horseflies, wasps, ants, etc.
Thus ensures a complete disinfestation warehouses, premises and facilities for livestock, rabbits, kennels and other facilities housing animals, utensils, and fomites that might vehicular any of these agencies.
It can also be used in the insect media for livestock, veterinary clinics (areas for animals, cages hospital ...) and slaughterhouses (animal housing area).
It is indicated for the control and prevention of scabies, fleas, lice, ticks, melófagos, flies and their larvae in sheep.

Composition:
Diazinon estabilizado 15 g. Diazinon stabilized 15 g. Disolventes y excipientes csp 100 ml. Solvents and excipients qs 100 ml.

HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:51 pm

Zero body count........so far Sad
Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:04 pm

The little buggers have obviously been reading this forum!
Jenny
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:39 pm

Thanks, HappyChic - that's a very kind offer.
Jenny
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:14 am

Body count of about 4 Sad All I can think of is that spraying they stuff isn't as effective as painting it on. I shall try that instead and hopefully rack up some corpses Twisted Evil
What sort of consistency should it be? Similar to a single or double cream (if even cream like at all)?
Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:54 am

I still have piles of them. 160ml of water added to the tub, then 30 squares painted on 10x30cm each.......was like half way between single & double. I am only getting the piles where i did it inside the Stables & Kennel. The bits i painted outside are not so effective, that is unless the wind is blowing the deceased away. Razz
HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Fly Solutions Empty O!! er missis!!

Post by Ian Sharp Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:41 pm

"I am only getting the piles where i did it inside the Stables & Kennel"
That must be sore!!You can get cream.

Ian Sharp

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Haha Ian trust you!!!! Very Happy
HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiny Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:22 pm

This product sounds like the business. Maybe it works better under shaded areas!

Shiny

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:29 pm

I think it does! Your manure pile is getting bigger lol Very Happy
HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiny Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:32 pm

Yes I am sure it is and nice and smelly now!
I will pop around and see you this coming week hopefully!
Are you really getting up at 6am now!? Shocked

Shiny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next