The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Digging it !

4 posters

Go down

Digging it ! Empty Digging it !

Post by Him & Her Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Hi there we are looking for your advice please,not sure if we should consider a cave which needs to be reformed or safer to go for one that is finished, looking online the caves that need tons of work are in some cases more expensive than caves that just need to be refurburished, therefore some questions which we need some guidance on:

Are to here any sites or publications on how to renovation of a cave house? We haven't been able to find anything on the nitty gritty if it just lots a photos of before and after.
If we were to buy a cave to reform, what should we look for, we have been told that different rock is dryer, stronger, better to live in, how do you know what sort of rock the cave you are looking at is? If you want to increase the room size,can you? Are you allowed to? Is it always better to lower the floor rather than raise the celing height? We know you need a minimum of 3 meters of rock/earth above your head,How do you find a good builder used to working on caves ?
Sorry if our questions are a bit daft it's all new to us and we want to come with as much info as possible, thanks in advance.
Him & Her
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Digging it ! Empty Re: Digging it !

Post by La Mancha Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:09 pm

Mac's old blog used to be a good source for DIY restoration but not sure if you can still access it, maybe someone else will know. My blog below shows the various steps but was done by professional restorers not DIY.

I would definitely say go down not up, do as little as possible to disrupt an existing roof. Due to several deaths in cave restoration over the last few years the regulations of what you can and can't do are much more demanding than they were even five years ago.
La Mancha
La Mancha

http://www.cuevademama.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by pete_l Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:12 pm

You've already uncovered the biggest drawback to reforming a cave - the cost. There are people here who have done that (I'm sure they'll be along soon) butt the prices of finished caves has dropped so markedly in the past 6-7 years I'd say the whole buy/reform question needs a hard looking into. When I was investigating this back in 2005 I was told to price a reform-job at about €1000 per square metre.
The other question is about plans and permissions. You can't just buy a cave and start digging, anymore. It might be worthwhile going to see the Architechno Technico at your local town hall, to see what the local policy is, but even *that* can be overriden (and the reformed property declared illegal) by other bodies further up, such as the Junta de Andalucia, after it's been built/reformed.

pete_l

http://www.pete-lynch.com/la_casa.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Blatantadvertising.com Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:02 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This should give you a link to the blog Pete is referring to, it gives a lot of great info about reform. The views of the Spanish perspective of cave living, written by Emilio, is by the son of who we bought our cave from. Just use Blog archive to search through the posts,
Best of luck,
Barry.
Blatantadvertising.com
Blatantadvertising.com

Back to top Go down

Post by La Mancha Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:07 pm

Thanks Barry, yes that is Mac's old blog. I'll bookmark it for future reference.
La Mancha
La Mancha

http://www.cuevademama.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Him & Her Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:52 pm

This is great, thank you all so much, we have a bit of reading to do now.
This is such a great site, everybody is so helpful and up-beat we can't wait to start looking at houses this June, thank you.
Him & Her
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Post by Him & Her Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:11 pm

La Mancha wrote:Mac's old blog used to be a good source for DIY restoration but not sure if you can still access it, maybe someone else will know. My blog below shows the various steps but was done by professional restorers not DIY.

I would definitely say go down not up, do as little as possible to disrupt an existing roof. Due to several deaths in cave restoration over the last few years the regulations of what you can and can't do are much more demanding than they were even five years ago.

Thank you great reading we really appreciate it
Him & Her
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Post by Him & Her Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:13 pm

pete_l wrote:You've already uncovered the biggest drawback to reforming a cave - the cost. There are people here who have done that (I'm sure they'll be along soon) butt the prices of finished caves has dropped so markedly in the past 6-7 years I'd say the whole buy/reform question needs a hard looking into. When I was investigating this back in 2005 I was told to price a reform-job at about €1000 per square metre.
The other question is about plans and permissions. You can't just buy a cave and start digging, anymore. It might be worthwhile going to see the Architechno Technico at your local town hall, to see what the local policy is, but even *that* can be overriden (and the reformed property declared illegal) by other bodies further up, such as the Junta de Andalucia, after it's been built/reformed.

Hi Pete, do you know if I can access part one which has been archived but I would love to read it. Many thanks for you help
Him & Her
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum