The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

toilet paper

4 posters

Go down

toilet paper Empty toilet paper

Post by Ponderosa Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Why do the Spanish put their used toilet paper in a container by the side of the Laverty pan? I could understand this because of the septic tanks and the toilet paper was bleached with Chlorine but at the time we were living up on coast I was lead to believe they changed to Hydrogen Peroxide H2o2 (Agua Oxigenada). After being produced it would evaporate and was not harmful like Chorine, cheaper to which is always an incentive.

Have a look at these three web sites I think you will find them interesting.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
An Insidious Mold: Correspondent Erin Moriarty reports on a family whose dream house was transformed into a nightmare by a poisonous mold. The mold spread throughout the house and forced them to leave. Did it cause brain damage?
Ponderosa
Ponderosa

Back to top Go down

toilet paper Empty Re: toilet paper

Post by PEDRO JAMES Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:44 pm

HEY PETER.. Just flush it down the pan like the rest of us lol Very Happy
PEDRO JAMES
PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiny Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:02 am

I was advised by the company I bought our septic tank from 'morenos in Caniles' not to put paper down pan! So we don't! It normally ends up in the fire! bounce

Shiny

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobiker56 Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:17 pm

We shouldn't be wasting valuable paper and energy resources, but we are so squeamish about these things. The Romans Used a sponge on a stick which was rinsed in a running stream that ran on front of a row of communal toilets. More recently the Jamaicans on their arrival to the UK in the sixties were pleased to find that when you pulled a chain you got fresh water to wash your hand in. I will leave you to Guess why most Arabs only eat with one hand and not the other!. Most of us (including me) don't know how to use a bidet, and probably wouldn't use it even if we knew how. I once read a book by Frank Muir where he went into the history of toilets. Wish I hadn't lost it. After saying all that I will continue with my usual soft loo roll. My, the stuff you find on the internet eh! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

http://cuevaleon.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponderosa Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:23 pm

I also wrote an email to Seventh Generation and asked why they whiten their toilet paper and why they, in contrast to Kimberly Clark, bleach without chlorine. Here’s Seventh Generation’s response from the Director of Contract Manufacturing:

"Our tissue products are whitened using processes that are chlorine free. Hydrogen peroxide and/or sodium hydrosulfate are typically used to whiten. Because our tissue products are made from 100% recycled feedstock, this lignin (glue) is not an issue for us. It has already been removed. The whitening process helps provide a tissue with consistent look and feel.

Although I tend to agree directionally with the statement about the lignin and its potential undesired impacts on tissue characteristics, I don’t necessarily agree that chlorine containing substances are the best overall methods for bleaching wood pulp when considering the potential adverse impact on the environment in which we live. Furthermore, I am not necessarily agreeing so readily that bleaching is absolutely necessary in order to make a tissue product that can meet consumer’s expectations. As a matter of fact, we offer an unbleached version of paper towels and napkins which tend to be well accepted by the Seventh generation customer. So, I am suggesting that even if bleaching result in somewhat better tissue characteristics, the value added may not be worth it if all aspects of the situation are being considered."

As Seventh Generation mentions, there are alternatives to the chlorine bleaching processes. Here are your more eco-friendly options when it comes to toilet paper:

Ponderosa
Ponderosa

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponderosa Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:38 pm

Dutch company Van Houtum, the manufacturer, claims that Satino Black is the first toilet paper to be given Cradle to Cradle certification.
Cradle to Cradle requires that the product integrates environmentally safe material, reuses raw materials, utilizes sustainable energy in its manufacturing processes, and makes efficient use of water.
Satino Black is made from 100% recycled content and manufactured by 100% renewable energy.
"Many users do not know that the largest part of toilet paper is still made of trees which are chopped down for that specific reason. That is totally unnecessary. That's why we manufacture Satino Black from 100% recycled paper," Henk van Houtum, director of Van Houtum, said in a press release.
"In addition, we have developed a new production process during the last 2 1/2 years to replace all the harmful chemicals with natural, biologically degradable raw materials and additives."

Ponderosa
Ponderosa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down