The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[small job] Tree fellers wanted

4 posters

Go down

[small job] Tree fellers wanted Empty [small job] Tree fellers wanted

Post by pete_l Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:24 pm

Though 1 person could easily do it.

I have a largeish tree that needs some tidying up - not out-and-out chopping down, but it's grown too tall and has lots of dead branches that should be removed.
So if you have a chainsaw, the safety gear, more idea than I do of how to go about it and a pyschopathic disregard for your own safety (I can supply the ladder) then let me know what you'd charge. I'd reckon there's a couple of hour's work and all the tea you can drink.

My house is just north of Benamaurel, 15 minutes down a country road towards Negratin

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

pete_l

http://www.pete-lynch.com/la_casa.html

Back to top Go down

[small job] Tree fellers wanted Empty Re: [small job] Tree fellers wanted

Post by pete_l Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:13 am

Job done [ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ] It took two of us - Shiny at the "sharp" end up a scaffolding tower, chainsaw in hand, and me hanging around at the bottom, with an occasional rope around a to-be-cut branch pulling it so it didn't hit anything (like Shiny) on the way down.

The plan was to trim the big tree to about half it's height - it would have been much easier and far quicker to just cut it down, but call me sentimental ... which is why the work had to be done at height. My first thought, that it could be done from a ladder was shown to be impractical right from the get-go, so out came 2 height's worth of scaffolding tower to provide a safe working environment.
A couple of hours work for 1 person? Ha! We live and learn.  cheers 

Note to others: some of them branches were much, much heavier "on the way down" than you'd credit.

pete_l

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiny Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:44 pm

Was a good day's work Pete. There were a few shaky leg moments. But all went to plan in the end. Thankyou for the job!

Shiny

Back to top Go down

Post by bigcol Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:07 am

Sounds it was a good day, and hard work.

A nice day, and saving a old tree

Col
bigcol
bigcol

Location : On the high seas somwhere!! I've stopped drinking water .... I hseen what it does to the bottom of our boat!

Back to top Go down

Post by pete_l Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:13 am

bigcol wrote: and saving a old tree
I'm (un)reliably informed it is about 40 years old. However it hasn't had any TLC and has just grown in a haphazard manner: crossed branches, dead wood, insect infestations and nothing to give it any "shape".
Hopefully, by removing all the branches that were growing straight upwards it will start to grow some lateral branches with bushier leaves and more shade.

Unfortunately, there are quite a few birds looking confused now, wondering where their old perch has gone. There were a couple of old looking nests in the tree, but the branches were too straight and upright for many nesting sites. Maybe that'll change in the future.

pete_l

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:41 am

Point of interest, i have been told if you want to take a tree down you need a licence.

Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post by pete_l Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:17 am

Mandi wrote:Point of interest, i have been told if you want to take a tree down you need a licence.
Yes, I've heard that too (same in as some of the places I've lived in the UK). Although around here I have a suspicion that if I went to the Ayuntamiento and enquired, I'd either get a puzzled look or barely concealed mirth.  Laughing

pete_l

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:29 am

Should be right, local guy from Heascar wont take trees down without one.

Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down