The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would you accept this offer?

3 posters

Go down

Would you accept this offer? Empty Would you accept this offer?

Post by pete_l Sat May 11, 2013 9:32 am

A bit of a story.
About a month ago I ordered a tablet computer (7 inch, dual-core, GPS, all the wizzy bits) from a chinese outfit who we'll call HKG - name can be supplied on request. I also ordered some other pieces - mains adapter, plugs & cables, etc.
With DHL delivery, the total came to 127€

The company didn't ship particularly quickly. It took them about a week and they used DHL, for which I'd paid them an extra 14€, on top of the cost of the stuff.

So far as DHL was concerned, I was able to track the consignment from HongKong, onto the flight, off again in Germany, across to Seville and then it was "signed for, signature illegible" when it was passed to the local sub-contractor that serves Baza and the surrounds. For some days (from Tuesday - Friday), the subbie had it until they phoned me and we arranged to meet at the Benamaurel petrol station. I signed for the package and took it home.
It was only then that I noticed the DHL bag had been opened and resealed with transparent tape. On opening the package the tablet was missing from inside its box - although most of the other items I'd ordered were present.

Now, I'm in no position to point fingers. Where did the tabby go missing. Did the supplier fail to ship it, did a DHL employee take it, was it removed by the customs check, did the local courier steal it? Nobody can say.

Since I'd paid with PayPal, I notified them and opened a dispute. I've now received an offer from the supplier of 94€ - the value of the tablet (I'd asked for a FULL refund, incl P&P). I'm inclined to accept the offer - as the next stage is to escalate the PayPal dispute into a full-blown "claim", which will take more time and there's no guarantee I'll get anything.

The moral of the story, for me at least, is to open any package in the presence of the courtier BEFORE signing for it and check that everything is present and correct. Quite how to deal with the situation where the couriers (and they all do it) leaves packages with garages, petrol stations or shops, I do not know.

Be careful, folks. As Tarzan said: "It's a jungle out there"

pete_l

http://www.pete-lynch.com/la_casa.html

Back to top Go down

Would you accept this offer? Empty Re: Would you accept this offer?

Post by bigcol Sat May 11, 2013 9:44 am

Hi Pete

I would accept as it will go on and on if couriers and ebay corospond.
the fact is some bar steward has had your tablet away

I also bought a laptop but from argos ebay, but opened whilst courier was stand their waiting for his sig everything was okay but the reason for this ?, simalar thing happened to me a few years back on a ebay item

took ages to sort out

Col

bigcol
bigcol

Location : On the high seas somwhere!! I've stopped drinking water .... I hseen what it does to the bottom of our boat!

Back to top Go down

Post by Taught2BCautious Sat May 11, 2013 3:07 pm

As far as I know, PayPal will never consider postage or courier charges as part of a claim, unless you can prove the supplier didn't incur these charges.

I think it is unlikely that the supplier failed to include the tablet without notifying you, nor would DHL or Customs open the package and re-seal it with clear tape.

I think the most likely culprit is the local agent - so it might be worthwhile reporting the loss to DHL and the local authorities.

Incidentally, clear tape is very good at holding fingerprints - are there any apart from yours visible?

Taught2BCautious

http://www.bisobodega.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pete_l Sat May 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Taught2BCautious wrote:I think the most likely culprit is ...
The trouble is there are factors that could point in lots of directions.
The supplier was tardy in shipping. They emailed me saying they were having difficulty sourcing the tablet - and before the package was shipped to me, its price on their website had increased by 10€.
Likewise, the customs declaration was only for a $15 value "photo frame" (a common ploy, to avoid import duty/VAT - though I had neither asked for, or knew the shipper would make that declaration). I' sure any customs officer who saw this and was motivated enough would have realised the situation. I *have* had packets stopped at cstoms before, but they usually are resealed with an official "opened by customs" sticker - assuming it was done honestly.
DHL had the consignment in their possession for the longest, and it passed through several pairs of hands at various transit points in different countries.
The local agent had the package "off the radar" for 2 or 3 days after they signed for it, before delivering it to me.

So as you can see, there is opportunity in many places and motive too. Consequently I have nothing that points to any one party above any other. If I was to raise a complaint to DHL I'm sure they would ask for evidence. I emailed photos of the opened bag to HKG, but I can't say whether they took that to DHL, but since I don't have a relationship with the courier (generally, the recipient can only claim against the supplier, not the courier - unless the recipient has paid the courier directly, since the courier is acting as the supplier's agent, not mine).

I think I'm going to swallow the loss, take the compo that was offered and remember to inspect every couriered item before signing for it. Lesson learned.

pete_l

Back to top Go down

Post by Taught2BCautious Sat May 11, 2013 5:24 pm

I would guess that the supplier has an excellent relationship with the courier, and they probably will have no problem making a claim for the cost of the tablet against the insurance.

I know it is frustrating, but assuming you accept the €94 compensation - how much are you out of pocket?

I regularly import small electrical and electronic items from Hong Kong, China and other far-east countries, but haven't had any problems so far - but delivery usually takes 12 to 15 days.

Taught2BCautious

http://www.bisobodega.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pete_l Sat May 11, 2013 5:51 pm

Taught2BCautious wrote:I know it is frustrating, but assuming you accept the €94 compensation - how much are you out of pocket?
Not too much, luckily. However the tabby had increased in price since I notionally bought it, so there's a small lost opportunity.

So to re-buy the bits that I didn't receive would be about 104€ for the tablet, if I can get it now. A few more for the micro-SD card and case, plus another 14€ delivery. Plus a month of frustration Sad and the wait for the reimbursement to appear. Maybe 30€, tops. Could have been worse.

pete_l

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down