The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can UK cars be ITV'd locally?

+3
Ken
Dave
musketeera
7 posters

Go down

Can UK cars be ITV'd locally? Empty Can UK cars be ITV'd locally?

Post by musketeera Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:51 pm

I have heard in the past that UK plated cars can be ITV'd at the Huescar testing station but I didn't know whether it was true or not. Has anyone tried?
musketeera
musketeera

http://www.ruralpropertydirect.com

Back to top Go down

Can UK cars be ITV'd locally? Empty Re: Can UK cars be ITV'd locally?

Post by Dave Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:02 pm

I would think thats right. You dont actually need a car to be registered at all to be MOT'd, it can be done on the VIN
Dave
Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:33 pm

I did an ITV on a UK plated vehicle three years ago at the ITV station at Gor. Paid the money and got the report, but they will not give you a sticker for the window.
If you are not going to import the vehicle it´s worth remembering, that you are providing the authorities with a date the vehicle was in the country.
Good luck

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by littletrog Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:41 am

I heard that when the ITV in Huescar opened a couple of years ago (perhaps ?) they wouldn't ITV a UK registered car, but the one in Baza still did. Not sure if that has changed now though.

I have also heard that you can change plates over that will cost around 300€ to do if you fill a certain form in and you can avoid the tax on it. Anyone know about this? Or does anyone have an update on costs and procedures for changing UK plates to Spanish ones?

littletrog

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:21 am

It is possible to register a foreign can and not pay tax on it in some cases. Normally to qualify, you would need to do this within the first six months of coming to Spain.

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by musketeera Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:13 am

The main problem is that it's just about to run out of MOT and we're not taking it back to the UK this year but it'll probably go up and down to Switzerland a couple of times and Martin doesn't fancy being nabbed by the 'Rozzers' so to speak! No sense of adventure.

Thanks for all the advice.
musketeera
musketeera

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sierras Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:40 pm

You can ITV UK cars here in Spain but what you must do is check with your Insurance company. Bear in mind, that a UK car (if totally legal) should have a proper UK MOT on it and although you can get an ITV here some insurance companies WILL NOT pay out if you are in an accident.

We imported one UK car a few years back and it was really easy to do. We are going to be importing a 2nd UK car in the coming months. The MOT will be due to expire and for me, I want peace of mind that I am on Spanish plates and not being stared at by everyone! We have been quoted around 550€. The Gestoria will do technical drawings, paperwork and provide registration plates for this price. You do then have a one-off import ITV which is around 130€ (estimated from a friend who imported his recently), you need to change the headlights - price will vary from car to car, and of course have any works done to ensure the car passes the ITV. Tax, again varies from car to car. My present car was 55€ this but is only a 1.4 engine, I believe it is around double that for a 1.9 upwards sized engine.

Don't know that this helps in your situation, but I would contact my insurance company in your situation....

The Sierras

Back to top Go down

Post by Crystal Voyager Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:40 pm

We put our Freelander onto Spanish plates in 2008 through the gestoria in Baza, near the Pink Orchid, ITV at Huescar, headlights etc. Total cost was about 1200€

Les
Crystal Voyager
Crystal Voyager

Back to top Go down

Post by cazcove Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:10 pm

I had my Camper Van ITV at Gor no probs is on UK plates and i got a sticker this was 2 yrs ago

cazcove

Back to top Go down

Post by musketeera Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:05 pm

Many thanks to all - We made tracks to get the car ITV'd only to find out that Martin had left the paperwork for the car in Switzerland - Which was handy!
musketeera
musketeera

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum