The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Health care rules

5 posters

Go down

Health care rules Empty Health care rules

Post by carlos211 Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Hello - I'm having a problem finding out what I need to do to register as a person "sin recursos" or without resources, as we say. I am not working and not retired which means that as a chronically sick person I can't apply for health care any other way. Private health care is not the answer as I am already ill and they won't take me on. Can't afford to become self-employed.

I can't get a straight answer anywhere about what is required. Any help would be appreciated. Very Happy

Last edited by carlos211 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad typing)
carlos211
carlos211

Back to top Go down

Health care rules Empty Re: Health care rules

Post by Rosie Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:32 pm

carlos211 wrote:Hello - I'm having a problem finding out what I need to do to register as a person "sin recursos" or without resources, as we say. I am not working and not retired which means that as a chronically sick person I can't apply for health care any other way. Private health care is not the answer as I am already ill and they won't take me on. Can't afford to become self-employed.

I can't get astraight answer anywhere about what is required. Any help woul dbe appreciated. Very Happy

I will watch the responses to this post with interest. Friends of ours are in the same situation. I was unaware there was a way to access healthcare unless you were over a certain age (retired) or self employed. Watch this space. Smile
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurchio Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:21 pm

I looked into the whole healthcare thing recently. Although I unfortunately cannot comment on 'sin recurso' its depends on whether you are already a resident. Can I ask? The main reason why Spain have now tightened up on Medical cover for 'early retirees' is that basically, the UK are not paying the bills for british treated in Spain. (From the 'horses mouth' that one). If you are NOT a fiscal resident, you can still hold the EHIC card (the old E 111) which will cover you for EMERGENCY treatment in Spain. The advantage here is that theres no real limit or definition to Emergency, for example if you had a heart attack, would the after treatment be covered, etc. It varies from Region to Region (same horses mouth) as regards the limit on treatment. Also what about a S1 form from the DHSS in the UK that will cover you for two years in Spain? Again, you will have to be a previous UK citizen,and be within the two years since leaving the UK so my query as above applies, with respect. I hope you get your answers, 50 somethings, eh? Its not my way to pry, so if you would prefer not to say more here, I respect that. No disrespects to the Cave Forum, but britishexpats.com forum for Spain has loads of stuff on this, and from people in a similar position to you. Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Lurchio
Lurchio

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:22 pm

I am in the process of registering at the moment. I already had a health card, but for some reason, which they seem unable to explain, it has been withdrawn.
The law in Spain ha changed and in certain circumstances you may be entitled to a card, even if you are below retirement age. I has taken me nearly five weeks to collect all the documentation for submission and I am awaiting a reply to see if I have been successful. There should be no reason why not.
One of the rules stated that you ad to be in possession of a Residencia Certificate prior to 24 th April 2012. After that date the rules seem to put more hurdles in your way.
One thing is for sure, I have found that you need a good interpreter when dealing with the delightful people at the Social Security office.
Once my card is through and we have a full understanding of the requirements I plan to have a coffee morning at Bar Emilio's on behalf of The Royal British Legion Welfare Dept., to explain how the system works. No point until we are sure what works and what doesn't. At that meeting will be the interpreter we used.
If you want to know more, look on the British Embassy website.
When I spoke to the overseas healthcare team in the UK, they warned me that some provinces are not sure what they are up supposed to do.
From the people we dealt with in Baza we drew the same conclusion.
The scheme I refer to relates to EU nationals, there is a different scheme, for others, based on a small contribution each month.

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurchio Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:35 pm

Ken, sounds good! Regarding the 'cut off' date, the Spanish Government changed the rules on residency then and introduced the rather tactless 'burden on the state' rules. You have to show private health care (if not an OAP) and approx 450 euros per person per month independent income which takes you outside the Spanish benefit system.
Ironically, they WERE going to do the similar in the UK for our 'non residents', but judicial advice stated that this was against their human rights and so Medical tourism continues in Blighty!
When we apply next year for residentias, you can BET its all changed again. And you can also bet that locally, there will be the same lack of info!!!!!!
Lurchio
Lurchio

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:33 pm

You might be right. The key seems to be a resident prior to 24 April 2012 which I was. I submitted all the requested documentation except proof of income from HMRC. (Which I now have). That was on or about 21 November. This morning I received my letter confirming my health care. I re registered at the health centre and enjoy full health cover. So it does work. It's not easy, but thanks to a great interpreter I have it.
With regard to the EHIC and follow up care. I had a heart op in Sept and tried to get a follow up with the cardiologist, without success. I now have one or January.

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:33 pm

You might be right. The key seems to be a resident prior to 24 April 2012 which I was. I submitted all the requested documentation except proof of income from HMRC. (Which I now have). That was on or about 21 November. This morning I received my letter confirming my health care. I re registered at the health centre and enjoy full health cover. So it does work. It's not easy, but thanks to a great interpreter I have it.
With regard to the EHIC and follow up care. I had a heart op in Sept and tried to get a follow up with the cardiologist, without success. I now have one or January.

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurchio Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Ken, Good news for yourself and I am pleased for you! Dunno if it helps 'Carlos', depends on his residencia I suppose. The NHS in the UK is probably now worse than Spain, my partner and daughter work in the 'sticky; end of it, and report some alarming things. People are just not being told how bad it is, they only realise when the ward or Department gets shut and it affects them! Baza Hospital seems to have all the facilities, so good luck to you and Carlos!
Lurchio
Lurchio

Back to top Go down

Post by carlos211 Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:41 am

Thank you all very much for the interesting and informative responses above. I have managed to get most of the documentation - waiting for the "legislation letter" from Newcastle and the "Hasn't paid taxes for two years" letter from HMCR. The rest is in order as I was resident prior to the date you mention. I will also obtain copies of bank statements. Should - fingers crossed - do the trick.

Assuming, of course, that they don't sell the Health Cente first!!!

It's true what you say - no-one seems to know what the rules are and you even get conflicting information in the same office. I'll let you all know how I get on.

So many thanks again - the people on this site are so helpful cheers

Last edited by carlos211 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistyped)
carlos211
carlos211

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:00 am

Carlos if ou need any help pm me.

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponderosa Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:47 pm

Medical system perfect here prescriptions all up to date, blood tests don and blood is spot on what it should be
Ponderosa
Ponderosa

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:56 pm

Carlos, I had all the paperwork on the list except the letter from HMRC and decided to give it a try as my Residencia was dated before 24th Apil 2012. I saw the big guy in the Soial security office in Baza, (the one that used to be at the Plice Station), and he accepted it and sent it off. He said if they want the proof they will write and ask me. Bingo two weeks late I had my letter.

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by carlos211 Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:01 am

Ken - Hi. I'm still in the middle of the "tramites" trying to sort out the paperwork but hearing what you say makes me optimistic. I think one of the keys is getting "the big guy" to deal with you as he seems OK. I'll get back when mine is sorted out. Thanks again. As the Social Worker in the Health Centre said to me "Why do they have to make everything so difficult?"
carlos211
carlos211

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:14 am

The social worker in the Health Centre in Baza is really good. I think once they have one a few they will understand it. Good luck.

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by carlos211 Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:43 pm

Ken - She's great - She's been a real help to me and obviously cares about her work.
carlos211
carlos211

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down