The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All oaps can now claim winter fuel allowance.

+6
wilma
david kirby
Imagemaker
Sally
Gobiker56
janga
10 posters

Go down

All oaps can now claim winter fuel allowance. Empty All oaps can now claim winter fuel allowance.

Post by janga Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:13 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

TAXPAYERS are to be squeezed for tens of millions more in winter fuel cash — for OAPs who have not lived in the UK for decades.

A Strasbourg ruling means the Government must pay the annual £200 to up to 444,000 expat pensioners in warm countries and tax havens across Europe.

Currently, only 73,000 OAPs living abroad get it, making a bill of £15million — but if they all claim it this could soar to £90 MILLION.

The blow comes after an ageing Brit living in low-tax Switzerland since 1988 won a landmark case against the Government last month.

Previously, the Department of Work and Pensions only had to give the cash to Brits living abroad if they became OAPs while living in the UK.

But the ruling means eligibility must now be extended to ALL elderly Brits living on the Continent — no matter when they hit pensionable age or how long they have been dodging UK taxes.

Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith last night vowed to create a rule on eligibility by temperature, saying: “We will fight these ridiculous EU rules. It is ludicrous we could have to pay more pensioners living in hot countries.”

The DWP confirmed: “It is now possible people living in the European Economic Area and Switzerland may be entitled to Winter Fuel Payment.”

Any household with someone who gets a pension qualifies for the £200. Those with someone over 80 get £300.
janga
janga

http://www.littlebritain.es

Back to top Go down

All oaps can now claim winter fuel allowance. Empty Re: All oaps can now claim winter fuel allowance.

Post by Gobiker56 Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:45 am

I thought you only got the money if the temp went below a certain level? Then folks in hot countries would not be entitled. Either way, as I said in an earlier post (You will be shocked) the amounts are miniscule compared to the total UK budget. They like to confuse you with Millions when they spend Billions and Trillions and you have no concept of how much a Billion (1000,000,000) or trillion (1,000,000,000,000) is, compared to a Million (1000,000). Confused?, I am, that's how they like to keep you.
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

http://cuevaleon.co.uk

Back to top Go down

All oaps can now claim winter fuel allowance. Empty Re: All oaps can now claim winter fuel allowance.

Post by Sally Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:15 am

Well, it didn't seem fair that those who were pension age before they moved here and qualified for the winter fuel payment in the UK, could still get it here. Whereas the ones who turned pension age after they'd moved here (like me) couldn't claim it! I wonder how easy it will be to claim it now and....could I get it backdated??!! x
Sally
Sally

http://www.cuevapedro.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobiker56 Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:25 am

Go for it Sally, you certainly need it with our winters. You are right, it is not fair, and as I pointed out, it's loose change percentage wise for the government.
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

Back to top Go down

Post by Imagemaker Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:49 am

The 'Winter Fuel' payment is a universal payment paid whatever the weather to people drawing the State Pension. The 'Cold Weather' payment is paid only when the temperature drops below a certain level for so many consecutive days - but this payment is means tested. I don't know the finer details of the Cold Weather payment as I don't qualify (my pension exceeds the lower income limit by £5.00!)

Sue

P.S. Information will be detailed on the Direct Gov website.......http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/Benefits/BenefitsInRetirement/DG_198331

Last edited by Imagemaker on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : P.S.)
Imagemaker
Imagemaker

Back to top Go down

Post by david kirby Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:12 pm

I wonder if they will send us the paper work !!!!! to claim Very Happy
david kirby
david kirby

Back to top Go down

Post by wilma Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:48 pm

When we moved here in 99, my husband was 62, we found out about WFP and were able to claim back Two years. Its a nice bunce November every year.
wilma
wilma

Back to top Go down

Post by La Mancha Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:17 pm

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, But one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases.

A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.

A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.

A Billion Pounds ago was only 13 hours and 12 minutes at the rate our government is spending it.
La Mancha
La Mancha

http://www.cuevademama.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobiker56 Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:29 am

548,000,000,000 In
696,000,000,000 Out

I love the 73,000,000,000 spent on "Other". What "Other" is that then?
They worry about a measly 40,000,000 (about 5%). The mind just boggles.
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

Back to top Go down

Post by panda Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:51 am

Scrap "Trident" that would save Billions
panda
panda

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:14 am

If you want to claim Winter Fuel Allowance, or find out if you are eligible for it to be back dated go to:
and find out.

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by david kirby Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:12 pm

Thank you Ken the info ! Very Happy
david kirby
david kirby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cats-R-Us Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:36 am

Thanks for the information. I have just spoken with the International Pensions Office (where the original web site re-directed me to) and they are going to send me the forms when they are available later in the month. I know that doesn't mean I will get it but when I last tried several years ago they immediately said I wasn't elegible as I had left the UK before retirement so it is an improvement on that. Perhaps one step closer to maybe getting it.
Cats-R-Us
Cats-R-Us

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:07 am

I emailed the International Pensions Service and was told the same thing, CRU. Don't download the form on the original link as it is now obviously out of date. Good news, I hope! x
Sally
Sally

http://www.cuevapedro.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down