The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Day of the cross

2 posters

Go down

Day of the cross Empty Day of the cross

Post by mikey Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:13 pm

Day of the Cross (Día de la Cruz)
May 3rd

This fascinating and colourful fiesta is as much a demonstration of pagan tradition as it is of Christian faith and its origins are rooted in a confusion of legend and folklore.

As a representation of the Cross of Christ, its religious significance is obvious and the fiesta is intended to be a time of prayer and religious devotion. But for many the cross was also a symbol of the meeting of the four elements as well as the union of male and female. The point of intersection represents the essence of creation, matter, the world and universe - all of life itself. Its the celebration of this life, reborn with the spring solstice, that brings natural jubilation to the celebrations in the form of floral offerings and decorations, music and dance.

This fiesta is very popular throughout Andalucía and Almuñécar is no different. Traditionally, the crosses were only displayed in the houses of nobles and gentry but now anybody who wants can set up a cross in his living room or patio. Often neighbours get together to decorate a street corner or plaza. And, of course, the children make their own crosses too.

Children make their own Crosses

Flowers, shawls, mantillas, assorted household objects, musical instruments or even agricultural implements may be used to create a tableaux surrounding an ornamental cross, usually made almost entirely of flowers. Each display is the centre of a non-stop fiesta formed by anyone and everyone who wants to drop by. Naturally the wine and song is never lacking.
mikey
mikey

Location : Watching Torquay United win the FA cup (in my dreams)

Back to top Go down

Day of the cross Empty Re: Day of the cross

Post by miron Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:13 pm

I was in Granada last year for this - there were patios all round the Albaicin decorated and lots of people out. The idea seemed to be: visit a patio/church/school or wherever there were decorated crosses, admire the display, have a couple of drinks and tapas, and wander on to the next one, ideally in a big jolly group.
My brother-in-law pointed out that most of the displays, while predominantly Christian in theme, also had a few pagan symbols too - I seem to remember an apple for fertility, can´t remember the other symbols but they were there, you just had to look closely.
In the Los Evangelistas barrio of Castilléjar a few patios are decorated - during the weekend fiesta there´s usually a trip to visit them, accompanied by the mayoress and band. Then a prize is given for the best one.

miron

Back to top Go down