The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Return A novel by Victoria Hislop

+2
Sally
Ian Sharp
6 posters

Go down

The Return     A novel by Victoria Hislop Empty The Return A novel by Victoria Hislop

Post by Ian Sharp Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:53 pm

I had to share this with you guys.If you are even slightly interested in the history of the area we live in,and you enjoy a good book,you need to read the above.I'm sure some of you have read it already,if you have a copy lend it to a friend,the copy that I have is borrowed and,sadly,must go back.
If you only read one book this year make it this one.Oh yes,fellas just because it is written by a female don't think you wont like it.

Ian Sharp

Back to top Go down

The Return     A novel by Victoria Hislop Empty Re: The Return A novel by Victoria Hislop

Post by Sally Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:01 pm

I read it a couple of years ago and loved it and it made me want to know more about Spanish history, particularly the Civil War of which I am shamefully ignorant. Her other book is worth a read too - it's set in Crete and the leper colony on the island of Spinalonga. x
Sally
Sally

http://www.cuevapedro.co.uk

Back to top Go down

The Return     A novel by Victoria Hislop Empty Re: The Return A novel by Victoria Hislop

Post by Cave Bunny Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:37 pm

I loved both too.

The first book that Sally speaks about is called The Island - it is well worth a read. Some very close friends of ours live in the beautiful village of Plaka, Crete where it is set.

And then, as Ian says, her 2nd novel, The Return, is about Granada and the surrounding area... It taught me a lot about the Civil War, and inspired me to find out more.

Victoria Hislop is a travel writer for leading publications: she puts a huge amount of research into her novels, which makes for a really interesting read especially when the subject has some relevance to you.

Oooo- I might have to re-read both now... cheers
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:43 pm

Oh, and a note aside, she is the wife of Ian Hislop, editor of Private Eye and team captain on Have I Got News for You.
Wink
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:15 pm

Cave Bunny wrote:Oh, and a note aside, she is the wife of Ian Hislop, editor of Private Eye and team captain on Have I Got News for You.
Wink

We all have our crosses to bear... Rolling Eyes
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:14 pm

I think Ian Hislop's terrific!

Cave Bunny, I spent a few weeks in Plaka over 30 years ago. A magical place, but there was absolutely no tourism there then - no plumbing, even!
Jenny
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell is also good on the Civil War, as is As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning by Laurie Lee. Two very different writing styles - and different again from Victoria Hislop.
Jenny
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:56 pm

I quite like Ian too, but I think I'd get a little tired of his dry wit after a while. It would take a special kind of lady to put up with him I think.

Plaka is still beautiful and I didn't think it very touristy at all thankfully. The plumbing is still to be connected in places - my friends didn't have water or electricity for quite some time...a lot like us actually Wink

They are still waiting for internet connection and telephone after 5 years though. Shocked
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by gilly Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:29 pm

I too have read both of these books and enjoyed them very much.

I am Currently reading an excellent book set in Barcelona, it's called 'The Shadow of the Wind and is written by a Spanish author, Carlos Ruiz Zafon.
Well worth the read!
gilly
gilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:53 am

A great book! One of my recent favourites. Very Happy
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Sharp Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:16 pm

Cathedral Of the Sea,also set in Barcelona,well a read.

Ian Sharp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down