The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WANTED - Car Alternator - Any one will do

+4
sierra_satellites
Dave
space man
Twisted Fire Starter
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WANTED - Car Alternator - Any one will do Empty WANTED - Car Alternator - Any one will do

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:00 pm

What have you got? Just need to know the Amps. Oh, needs to be 12v so not a truck alternator.
Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

WANTED - Car Alternator - Any one will do Empty Re: WANTED - Car Alternator - Any one will do

Post by space man Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:14 pm

Just curious wot ya doing with it, making a wind generaror ?? Spicey.

space man

Back to top Go down

WANTED - Car Alternator - Any one will do Empty Re: WANTED - Car Alternator - Any one will do

Post by Dave Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:21 pm

If you can hang on a couple of weeks, ill bring one over for you. Wink
Dave
Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:30 pm

I'm making a Dr Emmet Brown type of invention geek . 12v power generation through wind and pedal power.

Dave, does that mean you have one lying around then?
Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:51 am

Yep, could do with getting rid of some of my 'collection', otherwise ill never be able to move out. Rolling Eyes Ill be travelling down from santander on the 1st Nov.
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:41 am

Ok, then that sounds great. A few questions then; what's the ampage? new or used? from what car? and how much?

While I'm at it, do you have a welder? Preferably gasless mig, but Arc will do. I only need a smallish one.

Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:36 am

Not sure about what the alternator will be off, and ill have a look at the amperage when I go to work in a bit. No spare welder im afraid, but i'd avoid a gasless mig, look for a normal mig,or you can pick up an arc welder fairly cheap now. What are you going to be welding?
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:24 pm

It's mostly going to be mild steel but I may end up needing it for other metals. The reason I ask for a gassless one is because I'm going to be working outside and a normal gas mig is not suitable for those conditions.
Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:51 pm

NEWS FLASH!!!!! After checking and double checking my algorithms study I think I'm going to need a 24V one now and NOT a 12V one. This could still potentially come off of a car though.
Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:06 pm

Sorry, ive got no 24v ones, but I can ask the breakers for you if you want, but they aren't going to be free............
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:14 pm

Seriously avoid gasless migs. they are carp and the gasless wire is uber expensive. Look for a good used machine, but beware of where and why its for sale. You could looky here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:16 pm

Well I question I have then Dave is; do you know at what RPM the 12v alternator will start to deliver 12.5V+?

I know a normal gas mig is better, however, for welding outside it would be as useful as a catflap on a submarine.

Last edited by Twisted Fire Starter on Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:41 pm

Here ya gooooooo [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:59 pm

A good forum that first link, I found it some months back but have not really had the time to explore it. The other site is not really relevant in this particular situation as I know how to test an alternator, just not at what RPM it starts generating useful power Rolling Eyes
Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by sierra_satellites Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:04 am

Surely you can adjust the size of the pulley wheels to achieve the output you want? Or is that not feasable?
sierra_satellites
sierra_satellites

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:49 pm

Yep, i would have thought so too.
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:13 pm

sierra_satellites wrote:Surely you can adjust the size of the pulley wheels to achieve the output you want? Or is that not feasable?

Yes I will use different gearing to increase the rmp at the motor, but my point is, if it doesn't even start generating in excess of 12v @ a reasonable rpm then pedal power just won't cut it. I'm fit and strong but still don't think I can cycle at 50Mph!
Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by La Mancha Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:09 pm

Jason, If you haven't seen it before this book should be of interest [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] There is also a website for the book [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
La Mancha
La Mancha

http://www.cuevademama.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by sierra_satellites Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:32 pm

You could always ride to the pub and save electricity, burn calories, get fit and reward yourself afterwards. bounce
sierra_satellites
sierra_satellites

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:36 pm

Brilliant link Stu, thanks mate.

And Sierra, none of your advice above charges batteries, but I may still do all of that anyway, just for the hell of it.
Perhaps I could attach a trailer to the bike, pop the batteries in and cycle to Seville and back. I might have enough power to make a cup of tea when I get back Twisted Evil
Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by sierra_satellites Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:38 pm

You might need one after all that. lol!
sierra_satellites
sierra_satellites

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:42 pm

Indeed. The beer sounds a little more appealing though.
Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ross Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:25 pm

just going back to mig welders if you are welding outside just increase the gas flow I find this works a treat!!!!!!!!Dave any chance of one of those alternater or dynos things,then I can watch back issues of blue peter!!!!
No seriously if you have one a mate is looking for one to make a wind generator.
ta Ross
ross
ross

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:45 am

Ross, ill try to remember to put one on board for you. Will have to work out how to get it to you. Very Happy
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ross Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:35 am

dave that would be great.When you return give me a call and I can collect.
I presume you are local to me!!!!!ie 25 km radius of Zujar.
ross
ross

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next