The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Morbid Subject

+6
1940thom
Jenny
Imagemaker
space man
Cullarfamily
Gobiker56
10 posters

Go down

Morbid Subject Empty Morbid Subject

Post by Gobiker56 Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:41 am

I know it is a morbid subject but it affects all of us here in Spain. The cost of funerals is really high and re-patriation really expensive. There is an alternative. You can donate your body to science/anatomy (the website is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] where you can get more info etc.). They will collect your body for free anywhere in Spain. You let everyone know what you are proposing and carry a card which has a 24 hour number on it. Not only saves a lot of money, it makes real good use of your remains by helping educate future doctors etc. Being a Nurse I have been to many anatomy classes where I know the remains have been treated with the utmost respect. I personally think it's nice that I could still be of some use after I've gone.
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

http://cuevaleon.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Morbid Subject Empty Re: Morbid Subject

Post by Cullarfamily Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:22 am

I also think that this is a nice idea, as long as you tell your loved ones that that is what you are proposing. On a slightly different note, I always held a Donor Card in the UK. Actually I still carry it out here. Does anybody know what the equivalent is in Spain? and how you can go about getting a similar donor card?

Cullarfamily

Back to top Go down

Post by space man Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:18 pm

Just a thought what happens to ''the bits'' when they have finished doing whatever to you. I quite like the idea in principle providing they make sure I'm dead and not suffering from the effects of alcohol. Spicey

space man

Back to top Go down

Post by space man Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:23 pm

I just lookedat the web site is there any way to get translation, can't see an option on site. Yea yeah I know I should have learn Spanish but hey ho In one ear out the other thats me. Spicey

space man

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobiker56 Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:52 pm

If you use google the site can be translated, (roughly) and Spice man, when they have finished with "the bits" and that can be 5 years or more, they are cremated. And if you aint dead, only deeply drunk, you will be after the first couple of cuts!! Besides the fact most of you will be pickled in alcohol, and for a great many of the Brits in Spain, that's not far off what their body is now. (snigger!)
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

http://cuevaleon.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Imagemaker Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:16 pm

You are sooooo naughty Go farao
Imagemaker
Imagemaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:57 am

Gobiker, that's such brilliant information - thank you so much. When my Dad died, over 30 years ago, I gave his body to Birmingham University Medical School, to do with as they wished. Some people were shocked, but it was the right thing to do for him, as he would have wanted to benefit society, even in death. Those closest to him completely understood and endorsed my decision. He was only 58 so, apart from his heart, which had let him down badly, he had other organs to donate. But it's not only organs that matter. There is a need for cadavers for future surgeons to practise on. I was told that my Dad would be held in cold storage for up to 2 years, bits being used as appropriate, after which the remainder would be discreetly cremated, without the family being informed.

This may feel gruesome and distasteful to some, and I wouldn't dream of suggesting that anyone should choose this route if it repels them, but trainee surgeons do need cadavers on which to practise. I recently had a brilliantly successful hip replacement in Baza hospital and if my knackered bones, after my death, could provide practice for future trainee surgeons to benefit other people, I'd feel I'd done my bit to repay society. My loved ones could still have a bloody good wake.

My husband and I have been trying to organise this via a hospital in Granada, but you've provided the site we need. We're both so grateful.
Jenny
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:53 pm

Thanks for that information.............very useful, have contacted them

Back to top Go down

Post by 1940thom Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:13 pm

What a good idea, never thought about it much.
Solves a practical spanish problem and removes the burden on surviving family

1940thom

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:37 pm

@1940thom - but be warned! This course of action can cause a good deal of offence, and can lead to long-lasting hostility. I speak from experience. If that's what you want to do, write it down & let everyone know well in advance.
Jenny
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Sharp Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:59 am

A note of caution,re the above.If you die at the weekend,in your home,the body may not be collected,also if the authorities have enough bodies for research they may not want it.This is not a guarantee of a cheap funeral.

Ian Sharp

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:27 pm

Having watched this topic with interest I never thought of the financial implications.
I was only considering the scientific advantages.
A dear friend of ours called their cadaver in medical school Esme. A group of six students 'worked' with Esme for several months, until, frankly, not a lot was left of her. They arranged a non denominational memorial service for her at the end of their acquaintance.
My friend progressed through the medical profession. Her posts included obstetric and gynaecological registrar/ surgeon and she is now a consutant pathologist. Thank you Esme?
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post by Imagemaker Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:50 pm

Rosie wrote:Having watched this topic with interest I never thought of the financial implications.
I was only considering the scientific advantages.
A dear friend of ours called their cadaver in medical school Esme. A group of six students 'worked' with Esme for several months, until, frankly, not a lot was left of her. They arranged a non denominational memorial service for her at the end of their acquaintance.
My friend progressed through the medical profession. Her posts included obstetric and gynaecological registrar/ surgeon and she is now a consutant pathologist. Thank you Esme?

Great post Rosie - puts it in perspective.
Imagemaker
Imagemaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Blatantadvertising.com Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:51 pm

I think Gerald Brennan left his body for medical research but the spanish held him in such regard that they kept his body for years in storage, untouched.
Blatantadvertising.com
Blatantadvertising.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gayle Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:59 pm

I have just read this post with great interest and it is certainly something we considered even while back in the UK and it is good the bring these things back to light. I agree though that it must be discussed with family so everyone understands your wishes. you are right Jenny, loved ones could still have a great wake to say goodbye and they could you could always ask them to plant a tree or soemtning in a special place where they could go and remeber and visit you.

I will certainly look at the website mentioned and do some research.
Gayle
Gayle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down