The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

driving a foreign car in the UK

3 posters

Go down

driving a foreign car in the UK Empty driving a foreign car in the UK

Post by bigcol Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:35 pm

Foreign drivers in the UK may be faced to pay on-the-spot fines of up to £900 under new legislation that comes into force next month.

If they do not have either enough cash or a working credit card to pay the fine, the vehicle will be clamped incurring an additional charge of £80.

The law will also apply to British residents who cannot prove that they have a valid address in the country when they are stopped at the roadside.

It has been reported that foreign vehicles are 30% likelier to be involved in an accident than a British-registered vehicle, and the new law is also intended to tackle the problem of foreign truck drivers who ignore weight limits, hours at the wheel, and who could be driving with faulty brakes.

The standard fine for careless driving such as being too close to the vehicle in front or reading a map at the wheel will now be set at £300, as the motoring association AA voiced the opinion that these measures were long overdue as British drivers had been paying on-the-spot fines on the Continent for many years

col
bigcol
bigcol

Location : On the high seas somwhere!! I've stopped drinking water .... I hseen what it does to the bottom of our boat!

Back to top Go down

driving a foreign car in the UK Empty Re: driving a foreign car in the UK

Post by mikey Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:05 am

So you cant visit the uk in a foreign plated car, that cant be right.
Do they have to provide a valid address in the uk or one where the car is registered?
mikey
mikey

Location : Watching Torquay United win the FA cup (in my dreams)

Back to top Go down

Post by bigcol Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:30 am

Hi Mikey

your first question the answer is yes!!

, in fact a spanish registered punto that I bought about 5 year ago was kept on the road in the UK for nearly 2 years!!! the family I bought it from, had a place in spain visiting their home in Spain 2/3 times a year, they never had to tax it, I imagine it was insured in Spain but the itv was years out of date.
The thing is! they never got pulled up it it either nor of course got any tickets etc ( in fact it was a nice little car Sally and Mike from cuevo pedro like it, but the paperwork wasnt quite right due to being out of Spain for 2 years)I had a new ITV and was insured but wasnt able to register it to a owner in Spain, Sold it on on Eba,y A Spanish couple from Malaga bought it, and were in fact more delighted as the car even though had a ITV and was legal couldnt have a owner!!
Big smiles and no problema, no problema and more big smiles

.And thats the point so many foreiners are doing it all over Europe including English cars in Spain!!
Here in sunny MK theres french spanish all sorts of nationalitys and their blessed cars.
We were pulled over last year in the van for weighing,(M6) and the place was filled up with eastern european cars and lorrys, nearly all the lorrys aparently were road Ilegal and dangorous.

you can drive anywhere in europe in any car!!!
my spanish punto like so many cars was by- passing the law!!! To clarify if you have a place in Spain and have a spanish registered car, of course you can drive to the UK, and up till now just like Spain theres nothing stoping you keep driving it over here for months or years.
If you do get stopped which is unlikely as they will think your spanish, and they like easy english speakingtargets, if you do get stoped you show then your insurance which will be spanish and have your spanish address on the paper work,and your uk licence. the rest you blag like so many other folks do. It gos on!!
In spain and local area how many folks have spotted scanned tax discs?? theres a few!! Ive seen 2 outside Emillios!!!! and the reason is that when a spanish copper sees a british tax disc they asume all the paper work is okay

how many UK cars in Spain have a MOT
and if they cant get a MOT they wont be taxed for long

UK are having to deal with this problem,the ferrys full of forein plated cars and just like european folks,foreign cars also get everywhere and are driven around ilegaly

Our vans are insured in Spain, and because they are to and thro every month its easy and perfectly legal as the vans are taxed serviced and moted in the UK,
Like wise i could just as easily have a spanish registered vans that can easily be kept and used anywhere in Europe including the UK.

I dont think you can register a spanish car at a UK address though nor the other way arround

last thing you want over here in UK, is have a accident with a polish lorry lol
like wise the last thing a spanish person in Spain wants is to have a accident with a English plated car unless the English gentleman has a green european card

to be fair mikey I dont think as usual ive explained it all properly

but have a look on ebay and see how many lhd foreign plated cars their are for sale??

when you buy one your off!! the chances of being pulled up in the UK in a £200 lithainain banger, by a thames valley lithanian traffic cop who wants easy nickings is going to be very very very rare no tax, no insurance, no speeding tickets, no fines and no parking tickets
another scum of the earth free loader

and worse still if the buyer/owner driver is a lithanian he gets away with it anyway!!!!! he just plays dumb afther all he cant speak english, and is only over here to sign some claims paperwork (in lithwianian) in a social security office so that his family back home gets 3 x child alowances sent over their

Us we do it by the book, and were the ones who now can get fined for eating a bloody mars bar whilst driving a fine and 3 penalty points becasue we have a licence!!! Twisted Evil

Mikey!!! I bet you wish you never asked

just off for some rice crispies Very Happy edited time and time again for spelling and crappy grammer

Last edited by bigcol on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Another little box just for me!!! edited for spelling a grammer I say again! Rice Crispies gone soggy now!!!)
bigcol
bigcol

Location : On the high seas somwhere!! I've stopped drinking water .... I hseen what it does to the bottom of our boat!

Back to top Go down

Post by bluey Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:13 pm

Hi
I have just been back to the UK with my Spanish registered car for five months and had no problems. Whilst there the windscreen got bust and I had it repaired via Autoglass and my Spanish insurance no problem (not even an excess payment!)
Whilst there I only had two concerns really that I wasn't totally sure of:
1. Was I properly insured or not. Apparently your Spanish insurance is valid in another EU country for six months but only if you are a Spanish resident otherwise it is only three months? I am glad I never got to test this as my residencia card has expired.
2. I also think that once you leave Spanish soil your automatic breakdown cover ceases unless you have paid an extra fee for the european cover. I am glad I never tested that rule either!

It seems to me that wherever you drive your Spanish car you are always liable to fall foul of one regulation or another. I am safe however at the moment as the car is in the garage being repaired - or am I??? ;-)
bluey
bluey

http://www.casa-britannia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down