The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello -

4 posters

Go down

Hello -  Empty Hello -

Post by jaycey001 Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:32 am

Hi

I am a teacher at a boarding school in Suffolk and am heading to Spain next month to (hopefully) buy a cave house in the the Granada province...

I am fortunate enough to have 4 months holiday a year and am planning to spend that time in Spain with my partner and two young children. I am yet to settle on a specific area but am hopping to get some advice from people who have experience of living there..

Look forward to learning about cave living and meeting you all.

James

jaycey001

Back to top Go down

Hello -  Empty Re: Hello -

Post by PEDRO JAMES Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:14 am

hi welcome.. look back through old threads as so much info there already . Good luck
PEDRO JAMES
PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Hello -  Empty Something nice to see

Post by Ponderosa Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:18 pm

We were here years ago but there were a lot less visitors in those days. We were taken there as guests of the Jordanian TV company from Amman to Petra and back.
If you want to watch something very nice watch this and my wife draw my attention to the fact that they have bags on the camels to put the rubbish in to keep the place clean. And now live in a cave house

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Ponderosa
Ponderosa

Back to top Go down

Post by pete_l Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:45 pm

jaycey001 wrote:I am fortunate enough to have 4 months holiday a year and am planning to spend that time in Spain with my partner and two young children. I am yet to settle on a specific area but am hopping to get some advice from people who have experience of living there..
A couple of things I would suggest:
Don't choose a location because a single airline (Easyjet, Ryanair, B.A. etc.) flies there. They are capricious and unreliable: frequently cancelling routes of changing the flight times from convenient to impossible.

Second, longer stays are preferable to short ones. The reason is that even when you're not in Spain, the weeds keep growing and the maintenance tasks build up. So you can expect to spend the first few days of any trip sorting things out, fixing things, gardening and generally catching up.

Also, don't expect that all the "comforts" of home will be available. You have to check that there is running water (the mere presence of a tap is not enough). Make sure the lights switch on - if they don't, accept no excuses: assume there is no power supply. As for internet .... if you're away from a town or village you will have to arrange for a service. Same with phone - most "campo" houses don't have landlines. Also make sure you can get a mobile phone signal, it should not be assumed.

If you're going to be away for extended periods, you should consider properties where people can't just roll up to your front door. Consider the security aspect.

pete_l

http://www.pete-lynch.com/la_casa.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum