The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..
The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radiators

Go down

Radiators Empty Radiators

Post by Him & Her on Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:41 pm

We are over in a week to get the keys for a cave and we will be getting some work carried out and would like to have Radiators in the bedrooms and shower room, can anybody recommend a type and where to purchase, they will be electric hard wired in the shower room but plug in the bedrooms so we can put timers on them but they will hang on the walls. Thanks
Him & Her
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Radiators Empty Re: Radiators

Post by giblet on Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:34 am

I also would like to know where to purchase radiators any info welcome Smile

giblet

Back to top Go down

Post by La Mancha on Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:29 pm

Mediamarkt in Lorca have some, look here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Not sure about more locally though.
La Mancha
La Mancha

http://www.cuevademama.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariposa on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:06 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I don't have radiators here, but had this type in my house in the North of Spain.  They are really fab, kick out loads of heat, energy saving and fully programmable.  There are lots of makes, with different energy ratings, so worth a look.  Not cheapy cheap though! They can be hard wired, or plugged in. They mount on brackets on the wall.

I gather there are also some flat panel models that are efficient. I am not sure how well they heat though. Maybe someone else has them and can comment?
Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by turner on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:22 pm

We have two panel radiators and don't like them, we don't think that give out enough heat.
Just a personal opinion though.

turner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariposa on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:31 pm

Yes, that is what I had heard about them, but maybe different makes heat better?

I still think if I had to go via the electric route again, I would choose the big wall rads (like above) that I had before. They are not bad looking, approx. 3" deep and come in various sizes depending on how big the room is that needs heating. For my big sitting room in Asturias, I had the largest one available at the time, which was nearly 6 feet long.

IMHO Him & Her/Giblet, I would go to a good electrician (there is a fab one in Orce) and get a quote and fitting done. He will also know the most efficient ones available at the moment for your budgets. You will then get a good guarantee and any future problems would always be sorted quickly by him.

Caroline
Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by Him & Her on Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:59 pm

Mariposa wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I don't have radiators here, but had this type in my house in the North of Spain.  They are really fab, kick out loads of heat, energy saving and fully programmable.  There are lots of makes, with different energy ratings, so worth a look.  Not cheapy cheap though!  They can be hard wired, or plugged in.  They mount on brackets on the wall.

I gather there are also some flat panel models that are efficient. I am not sure how well they heat though.  Maybe someone else has them and can comment?

Thanks Caroline you are always able to help me out, thank you and This is just what we are looking for more as a back up and go warm the cave up until the wood burner can take over. Do you know the name and where they can be purchased please we will be in Galera and have an electricia/ builder lined up but want to tell him exactly what we are after, many thanks Very Happy
Him & Her
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariposa on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:36 pm

As I mentioned above, a good electrician will recommend the ones that would suit your cave and the room sizes.  He should show you a selection of catalogues of the most suitable ones and then you can choose based on efficiency, budget, or whatever your priority is.  You will need to make sure he installs the electric points where you want them, for these rads.  They have a short cable and must not be extended - no matter what you are told!

Here is a link to a site with examples of the ones I am talking about, if you want to print out some info to show him...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There are many options. I chose the fully programmable (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) ones, so they would come on at various times during the day or night, as I wanted.

Bear in mind that these are powerful radiators. If you have the washing machine on, use the microwave and have all the rads on at the same time, watch your total power output! You don't want to start tripping the electrics.

An idea would be to try and see these in action in a cave or house (if anyone has them???) and make sure they are exactly what you personally want.

Good luck!

Caroline

Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by Him & Her on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:58 pm

Fantastic help once again , many thanks
Him & Her
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariposa on Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:08 pm

De nada! - you're welcome!
Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariposa on Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:17 pm

Just thinking.... when I bought my house in Asturias, it had a 3kw approx. installation, which after talking with my electrician, we soon worked out would not be enough. I upped it to approx. 5.5kw and this was fine for everything I had in the house, including my 3 B&B rooms.

This is worth doing (if you can afford it, the monthly charges are higher) and you live here full time. I would not recommend doing this for a holiday cave, which is empty most of the year, as you will still pay a high charge when not there - but this is totally the owners choice.

You can (depending on your installation) start on a lower KW rating and then up it, when you want to. If you are having the cave re-wired, it would be good to make sure it can handle the higher KW rating, if you need it.

Caroline
Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by miron on Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:40 pm

Good point about the power supply - we are usually fine with 3kw, but over Christmas with soft city-dwelling visitors wanting electric heaters on all over the place, plus hairdryer etc the power kept tripping. We normally rely on our logburner to be cosy, with an electric radiator to take the chill off the kitchen. I've just been to stay with family in Granada - the apartment only has electric heating and a 3kw supply, and they can't heat the lounge, the kitchen and use the electric oven at the same time. This must be why so many people here wear their dressing gowns over their clothes all day!

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariposa on Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:11 pm

This must be why so many people here wear their dressing gowns over their clothes all day! wrote:

Just fallen off my chair Miron - lovely!
Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by Cats-R-Us on Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:51 pm

Ah! but here they call them "house coats" so maybe that is why they wear them over their clothes. Some years back, when we lived on the coast, we saw a lady wearing her "house coat" while taking the dog for a walk.
Cats-R-Us
Cats-R-Us

Back to top Go down

Post by Him & Her on Sun May 17, 2015 11:17 pm

We are in Galera any idea where electric programable economical rads can be seen and purchased in our area, we are struggling to find a shop in this area who sells them and with poor spanish struggle to understand and so cannot buy online ! Any help much appreciated, thanks
Him & Her
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun May 17, 2015 11:36 pm

Brico Depot in Granada. Electric oil filled rads, and for the bathroom they had some good deals on electric oil filled towel rails Wink

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way when you judge him, you will be a mile away, and have his shoes...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Dave
Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariposa on Mon May 18, 2015 3:23 pm

Your electrician should be able to help you - if he can't, get a good electrician that can. I can recommend one. He will purchase the ones you need for the sqm of each room and then you will have the guarantee for the full system with him. If you buy them and he installs them, you won't have a full guarantee for the rads. He might also be able to get a good discount for you.

Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum