The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is it?

+12
Gayle
musketeera
santamaria
Twisted Fire Starter
Rosie
Ian Sharp
pebbles
Cave Bunny
Jenny
The Flying Dutchman
Shiny
HappyChic
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What is it? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is it?

Post by HappyChic Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:38 pm

Unless the hubby brought it back from Africa? (Not knowing of course!) been sugested by a few people now! & beginning to wonder, nothing i have looked at regarding this creature relates to him being in this part of Spain.......Just hope he didn't bring his mates!

HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by santamaria Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:38 pm

now that's got me really unsettled!! I'm all for learning but on this occassion wish I'd missed the lesson. affraid

santamaria

http://www.cuevasantamaria.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:22 am

Yup - me too. But according to the Wikipedia info, this creature's natural habitat is in desert conditions - as Ian said, way south of here. Despite our horrendously wet winter and spring, maybe that's what's happening to Andalucia. After all, mosquitos and other nasties have now staked their claim in southern England. As Big Col said, in an entirely different context, "the world's gone mad."

Although a lifelong arachnophobe, I was able to regard the extremely large and hairy spider I encountered in the kitchen tonight with positive benevolence, feeling just grateful that it wasn't a camel spider - so thankyou, HappyChic. Aversion therapy works!

Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by pebbles Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:53 am

About 4 years ago, before we laid the stones on the drive, I came across the corpse of what I thought then was part of scorpion and the corpse of part of a spider

I had driven over them so just thought I mangled them up a bit

I remember saying to Mum I thought they must have both been eating each other and there wasnt a full body of either of them.

Thinking back - if they had been put together they might have actually been just one camel spider!

eeeeeekkkkk affraid

pebbles

http://www.abiteofspain.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:04 pm

I live in the deep campo, lots of dried fields around, we are quite like a desert here! I hope i never come across another one Very Happy I know one thing when the hubsi comes home his bag will be checked out Cool Its been quite interesting researching and have found out lots of info, but good or bad i am so careful now! Came home yesturday to find the hugest creature on my doorstep, a huge beetle about 4" long with wings and a rhino horn, a Rhino beetle i have been told! never seen one of them before! Glad he was dead! I have been here a few years now and this summer is the worst for the creepy crawlies, the mossies seem bigger as do alot of other creatures....... Just hoping the Snakes and Scorpians stay away! And not impressed finding out the black widow lives here! PLEASE everyone be more cautious when out walking, moving stones and even pot plants.

HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by musketeera Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:27 pm

Aaaah Camel spiders, I've got them here Benamaurel/Puente Arriba campo! I've always thought they looked a little too much like scorpions to be harmless so scooped them up with a glass and piece of card and chucked them outside.
I was watching some inane rubbish on the box the other night when I had my first scorpion in eight years wander through the lounge, with six precious cats sprawled around I leapt into action and threw my new (second hand) copy of She magazine on top of it, stood on the mag' and then promptly froze - Somewhere in the recesses of my mind I imagined that if I got off the magazine the scorpion would toss it to one side with it's super scorpion strength and hold me and the cats to ransom until Martin came home to save us all in three weeks time. Thankfully common sense returned and I jumped up and down several times and then ran up the hallway making ridiculous screechy noises while the cats watched me with vague amusement.

The following day I Orro'd virtually every tiled surface and if a fly landed on me I over reacted like an uba drama queen - I don't mind all these things trotting around outside (we have a resident snake 'Cicely' in the workshop, one of our Tom cats is totally besotted and follows poor Cicely all over the garden) but I don't want them coming in to watch the news or snuggle up in bed. Good gracious the very thought makes me feel creepy!
musketeera
musketeera

http://www.ruralpropertydirect.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:37 pm

lol!

Glad you and cats are safe. Not sure about your friend Cicely though. affraid
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:05 am

Musketeera, you are very brave! We had a Scorpion a huge one a couple of years ago, my daughter knocked it in to a large pot, we covered it and left it till we had a visitor, our local goat herder, i asked him nicely to release it, he was all bravo walked up the pot took the lid of and run away screaming muy peligroso! Sent his nephew over with a huge spade!

I had another camel spider last night, this one got splattered by the fly squat, im getting braver! god they jump and run quick!

As for snakes, thankfully none as yet, but when the day comes, and i know it will, Ill be moving into the car with my laptop and pleading for help on here! Rolling Eyes
HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:44 pm

We have had them here on our terrace in Fontanar, I thought they were scorpions, so I am afraid then got the heavy flat part of my flip flop on them, they make a very satisfying crunch! But good to now what they are, I will put my wellies on the next time I see one, the thought of them jumping etc has made me a lot less brave! Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Gayle Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:29 pm

i have just gone all cold reading this even though it is october now and the creepies are less likey to appear. i am such a wimp when it comes to nasties like that. we had a scorpion in our cave in july a tiny one but a scorpion nonetheless and our baby was playing on the floor near to where it was - it was on the wall I scooped him up (the baby not the scorpion) and ran away and got Mac who put it in a glass and took it outside, far far away.

thank fully I've never seen a camel spider but after reading about them I don't want to! I worry a lot for the boys about things like that, snakes I don't mind but anything creepy and crawly brings me out in a cold sweat - I even feel sick if I have to squish one and sometimes can't do it! Not a great place to live really out in the campo......
Gayle
Gayle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rock Chick Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:27 pm

Now you guys are really making me think twice about buying a cave... Shocked affraid
Rock Chick
Rock Chick

Back to top Go down

Post by The Flying Dutchman Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:07 am

This have nothing too doe with cave`s. This is Spain an the warm climate. We count this summer 5 snakes. One in the swimming-pool en four in the house, but the really afraid from people so the disappear very quick. When you working in the garden use clubs because there are scorpions and centrepieces. But even with all this creatures I love this country.
The Flying Dutchman
The Flying Dutchman

Back to top Go down

Post by space man Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:03 am

Hi Flying Dutchman I love your use of the English language, I couldn't do better if I tried, great way to put a smile on my face early in the morning, keep up the errors. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy See you Sunday.

space man

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:12 am

I love all the wildlife - sure, not tooooo close, but for me it is all part of the experience. It's a whole heap more 'alive' here then it ever could be in London.

Love the image of Flying Dutchman carrying a club! How cavey!

Very Happy
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Imagemaker Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:19 am

Cave Bunny - there are lots of creepie crawlies in London - most of them on two legs and with a mobile glued to their ear geek
Imagemaker
Imagemaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:23 am

True, and they are very very scary!!! affraid The living dead. Twisted Evil

Very Happy
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by space man Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:17 am

Hi C B I would take great exception to that, if you called me a hampster, lolol Spicey

space man

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:45 pm

OK, perhaps a rash generalisation for which i am very sorry.

Only 80% are the living dead. I am only just thawing.

affraid

Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by The Flying Dutchman Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:33 am

Hi Cave Bunny
The picture is the roof of my cave I use as airfield for my hobby
The Flying Dutchman
The Flying Dutchman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:58 am

Sorry Flying Dutchman, I wasn't clear.

Image does mean picture, but it can also be a picture that you have in your head created by an idea. Related to the verb 'imagine'.

The Flying Dutchman wrote:When you working in the garden use clubs

Your quote gave me an image in my head of you using a club in the garden. I imagine you leaping around hitting scorpions. Very neanderthal! It made me laugh.

The model airplanes are a great hobby though! My husband keeps saying he'd like something like that!

Best wishes,
CB
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:04 am

I brought a model plane for my Dad, we took it for its maiden flight to Dover Cliffs, up it went, the controls didn't work very well, or it could of been us !!!!! It flew towards France, last seen heading towards a ferry......end of hobby !!!!!! Smile
HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:11 am

I hope it wasn't a Messerschmitt. That would have had a few ferry passengers worried.
Dave
Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rock Chick Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:43 am

Snakes are okay - I have slow-worms on my allotment in the UK and it's a case of "oops, pardon me," and they slither off somewhere else. Keep the pests down too. Scorpions, came across scorpions in Italy, unpleasant but not too bad.
Spiders that jump and bite and eat your flesh I would rather avoid, however. Shocked (Actually, I think I'd rather avoid most things that jump and bite and eat your flesh...)
And midges. Any midges in Spain?
bounce Question
Rock Chick
Rock Chick

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:00 pm

Haha Dave....................It was a Halifax Bomber (Serious) Bloody expensive pressie! Made us laugh tho!
Rock Chic, Midges ermmmmmmm YES! Crying or Very sad
HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:12 pm

Lovely midges. Yup.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rock Chick Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:48 pm

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!! Midges....... Sad Sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Rock Chick
Rock Chick

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:04 pm

Can't deny it, there are midges... Sad
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Rock Chick Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:44 pm

Are we talking midges like the west coast of Scotland, or are we talking slightly irritating clouds of fluff?
I once put a lit match into a bundle of midges just to see what would happen, the little beggars all crawled on top of it and put it out. Shocked
If it's midges or one of the ugly critters in the photo at the start of the thread, I think I'd choose the latter. Unless they come in swarms...
Don't get me started on clegs...
Rock Chick
Rock Chick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum