The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite books and authors...

+13
Twisted Fire Starter
wilma
medianige
miron
mikey
vulcan
Gobiker56
pete_l
Jenny
Cats-R-Us
Sally
kelly
Cave Bunny
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Favourite books and authors... Empty Favourite books and authors...

Post by Cave Bunny Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi all

I am doing some research for a series of articles and writings.

I'm looking for your favourite authors and books of the moment. All ages, all genres please. Who, what and why if poss. Preferably recent publications, although I'm interested in all time faves too.

Also interested in what your kids are reading at the moment too.

Thanks in advance,

albino
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Favourite books and authors... Empty Re: Favourite books and authors...

Post by kelly Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:48 pm

I put my hands UP it has to be the twilight saga. by Stephenie Meyer.

Its something that would never happen a vampire and a wolf. fighting for your love oh what I would give for that.

I also like Clive Barker. good bit of horror and very very strange.

And then some thing different Martina Cole for a bit of london crime sceen.

The boys are reading Thomas the tank engine and bob the builder at the moment or should I say I am reading them at bedtime.
kelly
kelly

http://www.euromover.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:36 pm

Ahh - someone else said that about Twilight sagas. Watching the films in the next few days.

Can't beat a bit of Thomas. Good to hear they are still going strong. Thank you for your input.
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:53 am

I've just been given the Twilight sagas for my birthday - looking forward to reading them and seeing what all the fuss is about! x
Sally
Sally

http://www.cuevapedro.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Cats-R-Us Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:49 am

Like sci-fi probably because it is not of this world and murder/mystery stories (not real life ones). Will try any author that falls within these categories but specifically:
Anything by Anne McCaffrey - sc-fi about dragons and people on another planet mainly.
Mercedes Lackey - again sci-fi
Elizabeth Moon - sci-fi
Lilian Jackson Braun - The Cat Who ....... series - crime stories
My son (now 36) recently recommended Robert Muchamore - stories intended for teens about children who act as spies because adults never suspect kids. I tried him and ended up buying the series.
Judith Cook, P.C.Doherty, Edward Marston, Michael Jecks - all medieval murders and mystery.
Ellis Peters (unfortunately now deceased) - Brother Cadfael series - read these before they made the TV programmes.
Cats-R-Us
Cats-R-Us

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:55 am

Hilary Mantel (recently read Wolf Hall & have read everything she's published), Peter Carey, Patrick White (both Australian), Ian McEwan, Julian Barnes, Jeanette Winterson, Saul Bellow, Muriel Spark, Colm Toibin, Sebastian Faulks, Toni Morrison, Salman Rushdie, Paul Auster, Margaret Atwood, Haruki Murakami, Kazuo Ishiguro, Graham Swift, A.S. Byatt, Angela Carter.

All-time faves: Midnight's Children (Rushdie), Beloved (Toni Morrison), Henderson The Rain King (Bellow), Nights at the Circus (Carter), Catch-22 (Heller), Great Expectations (Dickens), Jane Eyre (Bronte), Middlemarch (Eliot), The Tin Drum (Gunter Grass) + loads more . . . so many books, so little time!
Jenny
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by pete_l Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:07 pm

Probably my all time favourite is John Brunner's The Shockwave Rider. It's one of the few SF books that predicted the internet - even though it was written in 1975 and I first read it shortly after. It also started it's very own genre: cyberpunk.
Other SF faves: The Mote in God's Eye, The Integral trees and Ringworld - all By Niven & Pournelle. Another recently read and recommended is Incompetnece [sic] by Rob Grant.
Last book read was non-fiction: The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford

pete_l

http://www.pete-lynch.com/la_casa.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks guys. Sci-fi and crime definitely seem like a hit. Jenny, some of my all time faves there too - but you have to make time for reading, I think it nourishes the soul.

Diverting a little, are there any book clubs around here?
study
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:37 pm

I tried starting one a few years back and put a poster up in Baza Books. Got a couple of word-of-mouth responses but not enough to start a reading group. I now take part in one of The Guardian's online Booktalk threads. It's very good: everyone discusses what they're currently reading rather than all reading the same book at the same time. It makes for much wider-ranging discussions and lots of recommendations.
Jenny
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Favourite books and authors... Empty Favourite books

Post by Gobiker56 Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:43 pm

I usually read Sci Fi - Kevin J Anderson at the moment with an ongoing saga. I get the new hardback as soon as published. But will read almost anything non- romantic. Love Bill Bryson and of course never to be left out, Terry Pratchett, always get his books as published. I read a book a day(well night, really) approximately.
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

http://cuevaleon.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by vulcan Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:36 pm

Favourites ........................ so many good ones to choose from but for me, right now, Terry Pratchett. Can read and re-read time and again and still find something different. Favourite TP book ... The Hogfather.
Enjoyed some of Elizabeth Moons books too.
Books by Sven Hassel. I think these are out of print at the moment.

If you have an e-book or a MID, or if you don't mind reading from your PC monitor, there are thousands of free books that can be downloaded from the internet.
/www.gutenberg.org has 32,000 free downloadable books. I got a MID/ e-book for a present and have read €100s worth of books that I always intended to buy some day. I have the web addresses of other sites if anyone is interested.

vulcan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:57 am

What a fabulous site, Vulcan! I've just been browsing (starting with the Mission Statement, which is worth a read) and can tell I'm going to be spending many a happy hour on there. I'd be very interested to know the addresses of the other sites you mentioned.
Jenny
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:45 pm

LOVE Terry Pratchett!!! I'm just about to tuck in to the newset, Unseen Academicals. Very exciting. bounce

I have real trouble reading off screen, with light triggered migraines. Gutted I'm missing out. Still, can't beat the feel of decent paper in my opinion. Free's good too though!

I'm amazed at how popular Sci-fi is. Definitely the top runner in the genre stakes.

Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:48 pm

It's possible to buy Sven Hassel on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] who, by the way, do free worldwide delivery.
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:34 pm

Quite agree about printed text, Cave Bunny. I can't imagine a Kindle or e-reader feeling as good as a proper book - although no doubt I'll be eating my words in a few years' time (or rather, reading them off a mini-screen). I've been buying from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] recently. They act as an umbrella organisation for loads of 2nd-hand booksellers, including The Book Depository. Many of the other suppliers are worth checking out as, although they charge for delivery, it's often very cheap and some of the starting prices are considerably lower than The Book Depository's.

I've never rated Terry Pratchett as a writer, but he comes across as an amazingly nice and brave person. He went public about his Alzheimer's almost as soon as he was diagnosed, in the interests of removing stigma from the disease, and has given huge amounts of money for research - $1 million in 2008. I guess that even if I don't like the genre I ought to be buying his books to increase his profits, given that he's putting them to such good use!
Jenny
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:36 pm

Beryl Bainbridge has just died - sad news. I left her out of my list of favourite authors, but she should certainly have been in there.
Jenny
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:12 am

And the Ass Saw the Angel - Nick Cave

An incredible piece of work
mikey
mikey

Location : Watching Torquay United win the FA cup (in my dreams)

Back to top Go down

Post by miron Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:58 pm

The Dream of Scipio by Iain Pears is my all time favourite book - I re-read it once a year - it´s so interesting! Couldn´t get on with his ´An Instance of the Fingerpost´ tho, and haven´t yet tried his other stuff.

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by vulcan Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:51 am

Hi!
Sorry for the delay in posting a few more free web book sites.
Have tried these and found some worthwhile reading.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Have to confess that I felt the same about books vs e-readers until I got one. It's a MID (mobile internet device). I get migraines too but have found by altering the background and text colours/intensity that I don't have a problem. Haven't picked up a paper book since I got it. Even a 2GB memory card holds 50 books + other files so I can spend some time away from base before needing to replace the book files. It's very light too (compared to 50 books!).

vulcan

Back to top Go down

Favourite books and authors... Empty Thanks

Post by vulcan Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:06 am

Thank you for the link to the Book Depository. Certainly have books that I would like to own.

If you don't like Terry Pratchetts Discworld series, you might still enjoy "Good Omens" and, perhaps, "The Dark Side of the Sun" amongst others. Your welcome to borrow them anytime.

How about a Forum "Lending Library"? I imagine that forum members collectively must have a small mountain (or perhaps a large one) available.

vulcan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:48 am

We have a free book swap here at Cueva Pedro on the first Monday of each month so perhaps that could be a start? You could also enjoy a cream tea whilst you're here (it's not obligatory though!) x
Sally
Sally

http://www.cuevapedro.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by medianige Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:43 am

I've started to listen to audiobooks and stumbled across the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan - awesome. I also listened to The Host by Stephanie Meyer (though can't stand the Twilight saga). And audible.co.uk prepare them for iPod so i have hundreds of books now alongside my music and films etc. Nothing extra to carry, nothing to hold up while I just lie in the sun!! I've come across loads I would never have read in book form. Even 'chicklit'...Time Yravellers Wife was stunning!!! And then, most important for me, Michel Thomas Spanish course...es necessito para mi a hora.

If anyone wants me to bring over some old paperbacks in a few weeks, I have lots of old sc-fi book, Heinlein, Asimov, all sorts. I will fill my cases to the weight limit once Ive packed everything else. Bit dated now i guess but something to read... They just take up room in my house and I'm sure they are sad...
medianige
medianige

Back to top Go down

Post by wilma Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:06 pm

Went through phase of Jackie Collins about 20 years ago, then did the Dan brown books and recently went through loads of autobiographies but have got bored with those now.

Went to a holiday cottage a couple of months ago and picked up Above suspicion a Lynda la Plante book that was on tele not long ago, took me only two afternoons to read it. Would like some more books like those to read.
wilma
wilma

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:33 pm

I tend to go for a far easier read, like Ulysses by James Joyce study lol!
Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:36 pm

What a Face

I can't even lift it!
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next