The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

learning spanish

+2
pete_l
PEDRO JAMES
6 posters

Go down

learning spanish Empty learning spanish

Post by PEDRO JAMES Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:38 pm

Im sure a few cave forum members will already be using this app but we only just found it!We are using it on a tablet, but can be put on computer too.It is called duolingo and can be used in lots of languages.We find it fun to use, and even using the 'basics' were surprised at how crap we really are Embarassed It gets you listening/writing and generally is a great learning tool.It is free to use, but they do send you progress emails,we simply unsubscribed to them in the end.
PEDRO JAMES
PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

learning spanish Empty Re: learning spanish

Post by pete_l Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:01 pm

heh, heh. Here's a bit of flame-bait Very Happy Smile  for you.
On my Android phone I have Google Voice Translate (free). With that you can speak in to it in english, it does some voice-recognition jiggery-pokery squirts the data back to Google using your WiFi or 3G phone data. Google translates what you said into Spanish and shoots it straight back and you can get the phone / tablet to speak the translation in Spanish.

Who needs to learn languages any more? tongue

pete_l

http://www.pete-lynch.com/la_casa.html

Back to top Go down

Post by cavern Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:33 pm

That is really cool Pedro , played around with it briefly and I see what you mean , it really helps with the basics. I have a set of " total immersion " CD roms which are also really good until my disc player thingy in my lap top stopped working. So I can start again with this app - thanks Wink

Peter I had that on my android phone it is pretty cool too but half the time the darn thing couldn't understand me - pfft Rolling Eyes We have noticed a lot of businesses now in Baza have it loaded on their PC's to help us lazy Brits Wink 
cavern
cavern

http://www.piablepebble.wix.com/cuevas-bazavista

Back to top Go down

Post by pete_l Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:15 pm

cavern wrote: to help us lazy Brits Wink 
Awww, I don't think we're lazy - just that we have very few opportunities to speak Spanish. Which is why it takes so long.

Just look at the spanish children - the "kiddies". They are continually chattering and thereby learning the language. Me? I'm lucky if I have another living soul to say anything to, on any particular day. In english or spanish or any other language. I definitely don't get 12-16 hours of total immersion per day for 20-odd years.

pete_l

http://www.pete-lynch.com/la_casa.html

Back to top Go down

Post by cavern Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:11 pm

pete_l wrote:
cavern wrote: to help us lazy Brits Wink 
Awww, I don't think we're lazy - just that we have very few opportunities to speak Spanish. Which is why it takes so long.

Just look at the spanish children - the "kiddies". They are continually chattering and thereby learning the language. Me? I'm lucky if I have another living soul to say anything to, on any particular day. In english or spanish or any other language. I definitely don't get 12-16 hours of total immersion per day for 20-odd years.

There are loads of opportunities out there, we just have to kick ourselves up the butt to do them, I know, as that is what I am more determined to do, as up to now I have been lazy and will totally admit to that fact.

I don't think a second language will ever be up to your first, the one you learnt as a child and I do think the older you get the more difficult it is but I feel that shouldn't stop me for trying. Eventually I hope to join a Spanish hobby group - Baza Ayuntamiento provides many , not sure which one yet but I need a lot more of the basics yet. I also plan to go on many of the cheap holidays offered to the Spanish , posters all around town at the moment if you have the confidence already, for total immersion.
cavern
cavern

http://www.piablepebble.wix.com/cuevas-bazavista

Back to top Go down

Post by miron Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:25 pm

pete_l wrote:Awww, I don't think we're lazy - just that we have very few opportunities to speak Spanish. Which is why it takes so long.

Don't really know Cuevas del Negro but there must be some opportunities nearby??
I find there's quite a variety of different places to practise - neighbours, bars, shops, Saturday market for starters. There's a number of Spanish people around trying to learn English and looking for help - a one to one intercambio can be really helpful.
In the autumn there will be classes starting up again.
Little by little, and never give up!

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by invicta Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:38 pm

quote, we have very few opportunities to speak Spanish

What???????????????? are you livin in Benidorm
invicta
invicta

Back to top Go down

Post by Metaldunk Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:11 pm