The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sierras

+5
kelly
pebbles
sierra_satellites
Rosie
The Sierras
9 posters

Go down

The Sierras Empty The Sierras

Post by The Sierras Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:37 am

Hi everyone

I haven’t been on the forum for a long time as to be honest, with my other working commitments I don’t have time but my husband always keeps me reliably informed about what is happening so I am an avid admirer from a distance! I also contacted Devon Dave before posting this to ensure I am not out of order putting this on here without posting frequently on here first.

I heard (not from my husband) that The Sierras had come up on the forum so decided to take a look for myself on this occasion. I hope you don’t mind me coming on here to talk about The Sierras but I just wanted to bring people up to speed on the situation with the magazine and you can ensure the correct information is coming across to those who need it.

The magazine is now in its 5th year but with it comes the never ending problems with funding. Advertising is minimal and with more due to renew this month I am fearful (for businesses) that if I cannot get advertisers there will be no more magazine in the foreseeable future.

I am doing everything I can to keep the magazine going even though it gets harder each month to come up with new ideas and articles! I said I would never put my own money into this but over the last few months I have had to do so to keep it going. However, this cannot continue long term.

I can confirm the magazine has NOT decreased in copies and this month I have actually put out more copies in the hope of getting the attention of potential new advertisers. However, I understand why people are struggling to get a copy (as I have witnessed myself). In some of the distribution points that I use, for example, Upper, in Cullar, I am witnessing a lot of the Spanish picking up the magazine. Hey, don’t get me wrong I don’t mind this and thought it might spark some interest from the Spanish, but it hasn’t and when you see the older generation of the Spanish picking up the magazine I do wonder what they are doing with it – probably using the paper to start the fire comes to mind! Youngsters, yes – they want to improve their English so it is good for them to read but that said, for every Spanish person that picks up the magazine, one less person in the English speaking community has a chance to read the magazine.

Whilst I would love to increase copies and put it back into colour at the moment it is impossible. I used to put the magazine in English and Spanish but I am not great at Spanish and my eldest daughter who used to help is now a “not so resourceful teenage daughter"! She’s 15 and we all know what we were like at 15!!

The Sierras has often received negative publicity with people knocking some of the content but even after my cries of help both to peoples faces and in the magazine itself, I still get no response – no articles, nothing……so this, for me, is really frustrating.

I have heard about the new magazine coming out and the person in question has called me yesterday and I can confirm this should not have much effect on the magazine as it will be based on information coming from the Town Hall in Baza. In fact, I have also suggested, it could be mutually beneficial to help each other out.

One thing, I will say is, and all advertisers will confirm, I always make them aware of the financial situation and sometimes the magazine really goes on a month by month basis, but if it does have to “fold” in the future, the advertisers will know and I certainly will not have any intention of “doing a runner” with anyone’s money. I am too honest for that!

So for now, if you have any ideas, suggestions, events, recipes, quizs, jokes (suitable for all!) then I really would love to hear from you all....PLEASE!

I think this forum and the Sierras could work really well together to promote the area and try to get tourism and businesses going again as the future is rather bleak at the moment for many people.

I hope I will be able to contribute a little more on here and that people will give the magazine the benefit of the doubt and the support that I'm told its worth.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all the regular advertisers for their continued support and of course the readers who keep saying they want it to continue….

Look forward to hearing your responses. Bye for now. Lorraine

The Sierras

Back to top Go down

The Sierras Empty Re: The Sierras

Post by Rosie Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:30 am

This reader definitely wants to continue reading 'The Sierras' Lorraine. I did have a bit of difficulty getting a copy but a friend picked one up for me from somewhere... I can't think of any article subjects at the moment, but I might be able to in the future...
Thanks for you for your efforts in keeping the mag going for so long.
May your advertisers and readers continue to grow.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post by sierra_satellites Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:12 am

Thanks Lorraine for a brilliant posting and a truly sterling effort with the mag. You have my vote, and money as long as you can keep it going.

Come on people! Lets not lose another asset. As I said previously on another post, I consider my money well spent and a good return on investment. It's not always about the phone calls, a good add puts your name out there and gets you talked about.
sierra_satellites
sierra_satellites

Back to top Go down

Post by pebbles Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:13 am

cheers
pebbles
pebbles

http://www.abiteofspain.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kelly Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:24 am

Long may the Sierras continue.

I may no longer be in Spain but I go on Line everymonth to have a read of the mag.

Come on people get writing keep this mag going.

XX
kelly
kelly

http://www.euromover.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Imagemaker Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:42 pm

Lorraine - I have PM'd you.

Sue
Imagemaker
Imagemaker

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sierras Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:55 pm

Hi everyone and thanks for the responses.

I look forward to contributing on here and hope I can get some more advertisers on board too.

If you get bored with my "dribble" in the magazine - please send an article, especially, if you visit somewhere and think others will benefit from it....

I am hoping to do the usual pools and place of interest in July's edition, but it is usually the same old stuff, so if you have visited an alternative pool in the area, beach, waterpark, thermal baths or something different of interest, it would be great to hear from you.

It's good for tourists and potential people moving to the area too...

Thanks to all.

Sue, I've PM´d you.
Smile

The Sierras

Back to top Go down

Post by bigcol Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:48 pm

cheers cheers

good post, brillient read

Euromover does very well from advertising in your mag,
and will continue as for us it brings in good quality local business.
When times are hard, its very important to keep on advertising to promote and get the business and keep in business for the future

many thanks for your publication and continuing support.

All the best Lorraine

Col x
bigcol
bigcol

Location : On the high seas somwhere!! I've stopped drinking water .... I hseen what it does to the bottom of our boat!

Back to top Go down

Post by sierra_satellites Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:20 pm

Well said that man!! Someone should buy him a beer. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sierra_satellites
sierra_satellites

Back to top Go down

Post by caveangel Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:02 pm

Keep up the good work lorraine
Since we've been advertising with you, and that lovely article you wrote about us in this months edition, we have had quite a few new faces popping in to see us, and they have all said that they read the article in the sierras...... says something.......... thank you
caveangel
caveangel

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sierras Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:39 pm

Thanks everyone.....and to all who have also emailed me this afternoon with ideas for distribution.

Someone emailed me a Restaurant Review - again this is great! If you eat somewhere different and want to tell the world, please email me and I will do it for you!!

Please keep the ideas coming in - it will be good to get some new fresh ideas to liven the mag up!

Very Happy

The Sierras

Back to top Go down

Post by littletrog Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:38 pm

Will think of some ideas I have in mind and will PM you

littletrog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down