The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do SOME English run businesses fail in Spain and why are SOME a success?

+18
Gobiker56
musketeera
ladyinred
Rosie
Imagemaker
Shiny
Ponderosa
cavern
PEDRO JAMES
Ann
pobo
La Mancha
collado
Blatantadvertising.com
ross
pebbles
Twisted Fire Starter
Dave
22 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Why do SOME English run businesses fail in Spain and why are SOME a success? Empty Why do SOME English run businesses fail in Spain and why are SOME a success?

Post by Dave Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:08 pm

As the title says, where do you think SOME English run businesses fail in Spain, and others a success?
These are some things ive witnessed that I believe contribute to failure:
Catering mainly for English customers and not the Spanish?
Sporadic opening times and not displaying them?
Uncompetative pricing?
Providing a product /service thats not in demand?

Whats the secret for those that are successful?
Im sure we all know some people who deserve to be successful just through their hard work and committment.

Dave
Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Why do SOME English run businesses fail in Spain and why are SOME a success? Empty Re: Why do SOME English run businesses fail in Spain and why are SOME a success?

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:29 am

I'd say you've pretty much hit all of the nails there. I also think that some businesses think that because they're British run, every Brit must frequent there and spend their money with them and no where else.

Cater for the Spanish and any Brit trade you get should be considered a bonus. We're guests here after all and are obviously heavily outnumbered. Logic dictates that you should try and satisfy the majority if you want to survive. Unless of course you have such a good product or service that you can get by catering for the minority.

I know a few Brits that work very hard to make a living and fair play to them, they deserve all the rewards they get and because of that attitude, I'm happy to spend a bit here and there with them when able.

Know your market and know your client base.
Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

Why do SOME English run businesses fail in Spain and why are SOME a success? Empty Re: Why do SOME English run businesses fail in Spain and why are SOME a success?

Post by pebbles Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:32 am

Try an be 10 minutes ahead of someone else!

....I seems I think up a good idea only to find someone else 'started it last week'

Have more than one string to your bow

....don't rely on one thing to bring in the money (I have tried many various ideas and ways to make an income)

pebbles
pebbles

http://www.abiteofspain.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ross Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:47 am

I must agree with TFS,cater for the majority not minority.But why do people think they can run a business in Spain when they have no previous experience!!

Running your own business is hard work,that is why some fall by the way side.they are not prepared to put in the time,or have the experience.

but hats off to the ones that try in these hard times....
ross
ross

Back to top Go down

Post by Blatantadvertising.com Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:12 am

The main thing to remember in business is effort and hard work do not automatically equal reward.
Work smarter not harder if working for yourself!
Blatantadvertising.com
Blatantadvertising.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ross Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:22 am

do your homework,and if it doesnĀ“t work try a different product or service.
ross
ross

Back to top Go down

Post by collado Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:53 pm

Having run many successful businesses in Spain, I think the first mistake most brits make is advertising it as a British business, why alienate all the other would be customers, and the second reason is for one minute thinking that the brits will support you just because you are British .
Also as the saying goes Location, Location, Location is very important. Its no good opening a business in an area were people have no money for extras.

collado

Back to top Go down

Post by La Mancha Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:47 pm

Having started many businesses over the years, both big and small and also having many entrepreunerial friends the one thing that isn't high on the list of reasons to start a new business is to get rich. Most successful businesses are driven by a passion for the business and money is just a by-product.

Starting and running a business is unbelieveably hard and without the passion you'll find it difficult to keep going in the face of the many setbacks you will face.
La Mancha
La Mancha

http://www.cuevademama.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by pobo Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:45 pm

This is really just a matter of common sense.
You do not need an MBA to know that any successful business must continue to make a profit or it will go POP!
Know your business, but more importantly know ALL your customers - it is them that provide the profit in either your service or product.
Running a business is hard work but we all know how to work hard.
pobo
pobo

http://www.housetrip.com/en/rentals/150494

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:20 pm

Market research, listen to what people want and sell it.

Have as many difference products as you can, we all like variety.

Realistic prices, if you wouldn't pay it, how can you sell it to someone else.

You should have a keen interest and lots of knowledge on your product.

But I will always say first and foremost you must have the best customer service at all times and be willing to go that extra mile for your customers, make them feel special. This will take you so much further that any other point.

And remember a business is 24/7!
Ann
Ann

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:59 pm

Some excellent points so far, and it appears we should all get together and start a business!
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:47 pm

Been there done that and I'm now retired due to health reasons.
Ann
Ann

Back to top Go down

Post by PEDRO JAMES Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:53 pm

well i,m going to state a couple of things or so and expect some will find the truth always hurts....A lot of the time some british running businesses have a serious attitude problem..one time you visit the business you feel happy and what nice people they are running various outlets...The next time you see them you feel as about welcome as a pork chop in a synagogue...take the cases of the British running a bar and why not with a few of your favourite tipples maybe that you may miss from old blighty...great but why do british bars seem to charge you a lot more than a spanish bar for the privilage of talking english...why do british bars seem to slowly do away with the tapas or for the ones that do a tapas why do they give you an excuse for a tapas..Another thing as well no dis-respect to all those running a business and supplying a service for us all but sometimes the same item is half the price or more in MERCADONA etc..nothing wrong with making a quid or two or a thousand but families on a low budjet are no fools so they walk away from your goods ...How many times have we known people who change there trade on the ferry coming over....some may have been a postman,lorry driver,shopkeeper,etc etc then out of the blue they are structural engineers,roofers,plumbers,electrician and they take you for a ride in your wallet...lastly maybe how about the bickering and back stabbing and the bull shit that you hear about I GOT THIS,I HAVE THAT,I,VE DONE THAT,HE DID THIS,SHE DONE THAT..IF YOU HAVE BLACK CAT WELL I GOT ONE BLACKER THAN THAT...For some that read this you will agree,others the truth will hurt a little...We have been here over nine years and frequented spanish establishments and are guilty of not supporting a new business venture but come on we need to feel welcome and not cheated...some British live within the bubble and cannot survive outside of this but learn the language and new doors open up...We are always talking and hope that one day a working british family will open up a bar where they smile,make you feel welcome on each visit,sensible price,mixture of good music instead of little willy wont go home or the bloody birdie song...how about a sunday roast at a good price and not your normal 15 euro special roast and your special offer on the wine is only 2 or 3 euros a glass ....The challenge is out there and hopefully someone will give it a go when this recession finally bites the dust...whats best a customer who comes back time and time again spending 10 euros or rob them rotten and never see them again and allowing the rumour to start..

Last edited by PEDRO JAMES on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error.sorry BUDGET)
PEDRO JAMES
PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Post by cavern Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:28 pm

Totally agree Pedro and very well put. I think the expat attitude you refer to, people may get away with on the coast but here it just doesn't work , less Brits for a start and is anybody here not living on a budget ? it seems we have all come for a simple life and want to intergrate as much as possible, so don't have any incentive to pay more for the a British experience.

We have a bar in Freila, which we have decided not to open due to the distance between here in Baza and there, oh how I would love someone like you to take it on Very Happy you have just the right attitude to make it work Wink

cavern
cavern

http://www.piablepebble.wix.com/cuevas-bazavista

Back to top Go down

Post by PEDRO JAMES Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:46 pm

Really love your comments ..as you say this is a long way from the coast which is nothing like the real Spain here...The good times will come back and there is alway good money to be made in food..those closer to me in Freila would know my profession and we took pride in making the customer feel happy,secure in some cases, with that wonderful word called trust when the customer left you the keys etc etc..another success to business when working with customers or clients...give them something back even a free drink for regulars in and out that spend a few euros or quid each week. ....Its human nature people love something for nothing,me included...
PEDRO JAMES
PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponderosa Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:37 am

Hi Dave,
As the title says, where do you think SOME English run businesses fail in Spain and others a success?

Which ones are successful would be nice to have names.
Ponderosa
Ponderosa

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiny Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:06 am

I agree with alot of the comments on this topic.
I think to be successful not just here but anywhere you need to be;-
Honest, don't say you are something your not!
Reliable, be on time, don't let people down
Flexible,have the ability to change plans
Fairly priced, repeat business is the key
Be realistic about your goals and what you can achieve from where you are, ie we are in the back of beyond so it's not going to be possible to get rich whereas if you were in a large city the possibilities are larger
Be Happy! Very Happy

Shiny

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:06 am

Ponderosa wrote:Hi Dave,
As the title says, where do you think SOME English run businesses fail in Spain and others a success?

Ive put my thoughts in the very first post Peter but obviously the failures are self evident by there absence. Im sure weve also heard of people with crack pot ideas, and while you wish them well, you just think: Why? Mad

Which ones are successful would be nice to have names.

I'd say a couple of examples are Annie and Shiny, The 'Pedro girls', Orce Serano Hams, Spanish Inland Properties, SantaMarias Holiday Accom....etc etc. There are actually a few. sunny

Sorry if I haven't included your business

Last edited by Dave on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imagemaker Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:27 am

Quote "lastly maybe how about the bickering and back stabbing and the bull shit that you hear about I GOT THIS,I HAVE THAT,I,VE DONE THAT,HE DID THIS,SHE DONE THAT..IF YOU HAVE BLACK CAT WELL I GOT ONE BLACKER THAN THAT..."

Pedro, this rang bells with me. I went to a lunch last year where the assembled (English) guests began discussing the temperature of the water in their pools - each one trying, in a 'friendly' way, to outdo the other in terms of "hotness". They then went on to brag about how many sapling trees they had managed to get in to the boots of their cars - taken from the side of the road when left by the council prior to planting! I resolved there and then not accept another invitation.

Sue

Imagemaker
Imagemaker

Back to top Go down

Post by PEDRO JAMES Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:34 am

Well said SHINY...good comments and from a younger family ...There are 1 or 2 good businesses around as DAVE has stated..but again the amount that keep going you can write on the back of a postage stamp....When the economic situation finally hits the dust and hopefully we all start to feel slightly more secure about the future lets see if a person ,couple,family can run a successful food and simple music for fun restaurant..I think not for a longer term..
PEDRO JAMES
PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:36 am

Tupperware party anyone? Laughing
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PEDRO JAMES Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:43 am

Again well written IMAGEMAKER..Exactly what i keep saying and proves that i am not anti-British....But the British have a serious attitude problem...We have had what we thought were good British friends around for BBQ , food ,etc, and most turned out to be bags of s--t....
Again we chopped them out of the woodwork and feel great about it ....Just look at some of them now and where they went..
PEDRO JAMES
PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:45 am

Hang on, Pedro, youve never invited me to your BBQ. Is that telling me something? lol!
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PEDRO JAMES Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:45 am

DAVE i can think of a big box to put some people in but sorry it would not be from tupperware..
PEDRO JAMES
PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Post by Imagemaker Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:46 am

lol!
Imagemaker
Imagemaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next