The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poochie II

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Poochie II Empty Poochie II

Post by Gobiker56 Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:48 pm

Just been brought the tiniest little puppy.I am feeding him with boiled water and a little milk through a syringe. Anyone know how much he shuold be drinking- about 15 mls up to now. and how often. just until the troops arrive tomorrow with the right stuff.
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

http://cuevaleon.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Poochie II Empty Re: Poochie II

Post by Gobiker56 Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:00 pm

Poochie II Poochi10

Poochie II Poochi12
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:04 pm

Gobiker you are magnet.

I might be wrong, but...

add tiny tiny touch of sugar to your mixture, until proper formula arrives.
Let him/her dictate volume of feed within reason.
Feed him/her every 2 or 3 hours throughout the day.
Easier to wrap him/her in a soft cloth so that only the head is visible, so that it feels secure & warm, and is easier to manage.
You might have to 'pretend' to be mum..i.e. stimulate wees & poos after each feed by wiping required area with a moist tissue.
Also a vigorous wiping over with a wipe or tissue (again substitute Mum licking/bonding actions).
Might be lucky & get away with 6 hourly through night.

I have only raised a kitten as small as this. I presume it is all similar.
Check internet?

I hope the cavalry arrives soon!
Good Luck!

PS. Cat-R-Us on this forum raised a puppy from 1 day old. I wonder if they still have the bottles etc??

Last edited by Rosie on Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:06 pm

Just seen the pics. It eyes are open so not newborn. You should be fine!
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariposa Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:45 pm

Poochie II 07110

Nearly ran the little pup over on the lane by the Church this morning. Had a quick look around, but couldn't see any others.

Pup sat on my lap in the car during the drive into Galera and came into the Bank and Supermarket with me, curled up in my T'shirt.

I think it is a few weeks old and can walk, wobbly style and drink from a bowl. It would curl up on the towel in the box for a nap, get out and have a pee on the floor and then get back in the box - a very good little pup!

THANK YOU FOR TAKING PUP IN G! X
Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobiker56 Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Has done a poo and a wee as shown how to stimulate him , so I am now his mum.
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:56 pm

youve also got to grips with uploading your photos Gordon Laughing
Well done again for rescuing yet another helpless animal. Are you the new 'El Galera' rescue centre? cat pig elephant sunny

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way when you judge him, you will be a mile away, and have his shoes...

Poochie II 8851
Dave
Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by david kirby Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Yes so weldone to you ! poor little pup now got new papa ! Very Happy
david kirby
david kirby

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobiker56 Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:46 pm

Poochie II Puppyn10

He/she is drnking OK now and now resting with new Friend, poochie II is in there somwehere.
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

Back to top Go down

Post by cavern Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:13 pm

Love it !!!!!!!!!! with that as it's Momma and you as it's Dad, I think it is having a pretty good start to life Very Happy

Last edited by cavern on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
cavern
cavern

http://www.piablepebble.wix.com/cuevas-bazavista

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobiker56 Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:38 am

Poochie II Puppym10

Feeding himself (I think he is a boy) Now, and very lively when not asleep. He isnt going to be a big dog. Likes his cuddles. So c'mon folks whose going to offer him a parmanent home?
Poochie II Puppym11
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobiker56 Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:04 am

Was worried he wasn't pooing - not any more - little plop plops all over now. I try to catch him and put him on newspaper to get a head start on toilet training. Capricho are sorting all his food, Vets bills etc. Jan has been running around getting things for him and giving advice. I give them a little now and then as and when I can afford it. I also am going to give them some good stuff for their stall. If nearly all who are reading this could give a little money or donate something to the Capricho stall, either directly or give it to me and I'll pass it on. It will help Poochie II and others in desperate need. Even very small donations add up.
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

Back to top Go down

Post by cavern Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:52 pm

Gobiker56 wrote:Was worried he wasn't pooing - not any more - little plop plops all over now. I try to catch him and put him on newspaper to get a head start on toilet training. Capricho are sorting all his food, Vets bills etc. Jan has been running around getting things for him and giving advice. I give them a little now and then as and when I can afford it. I also am going to give them some good stuff for their stall. If nearly all who are reading this could give a little money or donate something to the Capricho stall, either directly or give it to me and I'll pass it on. It will help Poochie II and others in desperate need. Even very small donations add up.

Thank you so much Gordon for pointing out El Capricho's and Jan's part in this, they don't always get credit where credit is due on the foster dogs they take on financially. It has been a very heavy month or so for vets bills for El Capricho and when mentioning this to Carol at Vista, she has very kindly offered to hold a quiz night just for Poochie's II benefit on the Saturday 16th June starting at 8pm. I know you will be busy with your new baby but I sincerly hope that people who are following Poochie II and his tales could join us for the quiz night. I will post more on this on the El Cap's thread tomorrow after I have finalized things with Carol but tell Poochie II how special we think he is Very Happy
cavern
cavern

http://www.piablepebble.wix.com/cuevas-bazavista

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobiker56 Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:25 am

Poochie II well settled in now, I never saw so much wee from such a little thing. I thank everyone who helps with him, and there is a large team of people all supporting little Poochie II and all the other dogs, while I get the pleasure of looking after him. I hope all who can will go to the quiz night to raise funds for him and the others, who are not in the limelight, but need your help just as much. I'll do my best to get him there for his star debut.

Poochie II Poochd10
Poochie II Poochd11
Poochie II Poochd12
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:26 am

Details of the quiz night Click

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way when you judge him, you will be a mile away, and have his shoes...

Poochie II 8851
Dave
Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobiker56 Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:05 am

After a 3rd night with little sleep (ME) and ALWAYS hungry (Me and the Dog). I had a peruse of the internet. The upshot is if he's got teeth try him on solids. So I made up some thin porridge with his puppy milk. He went barmy, would've eaten the bowl as well if I had not dragged him off squealing for more. Now when I feed him he wriggles and squeaks to hurry me up. Luckily it is a bit longer between feeds now. He's 'going' Ok too.
Anyway, not ever reared a Puppy before. I need advice on how much to feed him, or do I let him eat as much as he likes (I suspect not, as he wolfs it down) One problem is we just don't know how old he is and as usual there is conflicting info on the internet. I guess at about 5 weeks.
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:40 am

We boiled paella type rice with chicken it made a stodgy gloop. This filled our pups. I would guesstimate 1 tablespoons 3 - 4 times a day. If he gets 'squitty' reduce the amount slightly. They had milk from their ma as well. Bowl of fresh water available.
If he is 5 weeks old he will soon be eating tinned puppy meat/ biscuits etc. Try tiny bits of cooked chicken.
He will overfeed as he has no competition from other pups. Be firm!
He will be fine

Over next couple of weeks reducing his mealtimes from 5 or 6 a day to 3 or 4.Then by the time he is 12 weeks ish he should be down to 2 or 3.
Never feed him during night. He will soon realise it isn't worth waking you up just for a drink of water.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:08 am

Hi Gordon

Well done for taking on Poochie 2. We have had several litters arrive now aged 0-3 weeks old, mostly for El Capricho - it's a sharp learning curve. It's always a little nerve-wrecking being responsible for lives so young and vulnerable.

I am guessing your guy is about 4-5 weeks old which is old enough for some mushy solids (weaning). Their eyes open at about 14 days, and teeth start pushing through at about 3-4 weeks (depending on breed).

Do not overfeed him - one of the biggest risks to puppies is diarrhoea and resulting dehydration which can happen rapidly. Overfeeding can cause this, as can food that is too rich. Consider the size of his belly with regards to how much to feed him. You do not want a porky bloated puppy belly. It should be slightly full but not protruding like he's swallowed a ball. Less is better and then very slowly increase if needed.

Rice and chicken is great but as El Cap will give you puppy bics you can soak them in warm water to soften them. That's what I did with our last litter and have had no problems with them. I did use just the puppy milk available from the vets for one litter (as advised by vet) but had lots of problems with the pups having intermittent diarrhoea with that. So I shifted them to the biccys, soaking them in a more diluted version of the special puppy milk. This worked better than milk alone and gives a better balance of nutrients. Gradually I diluted the milk more and more until the pups were just on the biccys and water to soak them. Then you start removing the water so the bics are less soaked and let them start using their teeth, which is important too.

Poochie is old enough for soaked biccys.

Our last rescued litter (aged 3 weeks old) arrived with their Mum, who very quickly decided the pups were too savage to be feeding from her. They were mostly weaned at 4 weeks. We've also had many puppies through here (without Mum) arrive 3-4 weeks old and they have been fine going on to solids early. You and Poochie will be fine.

Well done again!

Jo

Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Fire Starter Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:54 am

A little more additional info; if you are giving the pup milk (and you don't have/can't get puppy milk compound) it should be GOATS milk and NOT cows milk. Goats milk is more similar to the mother's milk. But you should still dilute this with water, 50/50 should be fine.

Last edited by Twisted Fire Starter on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ok)
Twisted Fire Starter
Twisted Fire Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobiker56 Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:44 pm

I have probably been giving him too much, I'll give him less more often. He.s been emotionally blackmailing me with his squeaking.
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

Back to top Go down

Post by Cats-R-Us Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:41 pm

Sorry not to have sent a response earlier but for some reason most of the topics were showing up as that I had read them. Finally seems to have sorted out.

I do have feeding bottles if you need them but if you think he is over 5 weeks old you might not need them.

Puppy milk can be purchased from the Jabalcon vet in Baza, just down from Calle Agua, but it is not cheap. It comes with bottles and teats. Our little lad ended up getting through around 5 tubs of the stuff. He is now a healthy 15 months old, weighs in at 16.8kgs and is a bit bigger than the cocker spaniel he resembles.

TFS is correct about the goat's / cow's milk issue.

Hope all goes well for you. Must go off line now as we have 8 kittens and one is being hand reared so screaming its head off for food - think we must have several screws loose to keep taking them on.

Cats-R-Us
Cats-R-Us

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:46 pm

Gobiker56 wrote:He.s been emotionally blackmailing me with his squeaking.

They do that, the little blighters!!! Laughing Stay strong and don't give in!! Wink
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobiker56 Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:07 am

Here's a turn up for those who think all the Spanish are the same with Dogs, My Neighbour has just brought round a dozen tins if posh puppy food, free. Poochie II has certainly brought out the best in people So a big Thankyou to him. It's quite remarkable how many people are pulling together to see to the welfare of this tiny little dog.

He is thriving, getting character of his own. He loves rides on my foot, he won't be able to do that for long.

So he's had his first 'meat' meal. I just gave him a teaspoonful and a side order of his puppy milk. Greedy little monkey still squealing for more. He'll get used to the fact there is no competition and not go berserk every meal time.
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiny Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:10 pm

hi mate

mrs shiny here reading this post and it's made my heart swell, my face smile and my eyes watery thinking of poochie 11 and how lucky he is to have all you kind people around, well done everyone,

Shiny

Back to top Go down

Post by Blatantadvertising.com Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Mrs S I think it's Poochie two not eleven! Well I hope it is.
Blatantadvertising.com
Blatantadvertising.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum