The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water

+8
HappyChic
La Mancha
Rosie
Dave
miron
bigcol
mikey
driver
12 posters

Go down

Water Empty Water

Post by driver Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:38 pm

Does anyone have any idea why water pressure has suddenly gone down in the evenings i have noticed this when doing the washing up. Mikey get ready for a slap

driver

http://tonyrb@live.com

Back to top Go down

Water Empty Re: Water

Post by mikey Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:31 pm

To stop the pressure going down in the early evening why dont all the senoritas get together and stagger the time they wash up after the evening meal. lol!
mikey
mikey

Location : Watching Torquay United win the FA cup (in my dreams)

Back to top Go down

Post by bigcol Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:14 am

Exactly Very Happy
bigcol
bigcol

Location : On the high seas somwhere!! I've stopped drinking water .... I hseen what it does to the bottom of our boat!

Back to top Go down

Post by miron Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:58 am

I don´t know where you are Driver, but if you´re near a public swimming pool they might be topping it up? I´m near El Lago in Los Olivos and we sometimes get really low pressure early morning. I notice it when I´m showering - I keep a man to do the washing-up Smile

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:18 am

We had a huge drop in water pressure one day, but found that the little filters on the taps were all blocked with calcium. we found out later that day that workmen had been doing some work on the mains just ashort distance away. I guess they must have loosened it all.
Dave
Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:43 am

miron wrote:I don´t know where you are Driver, but if you´re near a public swimming pool they might be topping it up? I´m near El Lago in Los Olivos and we sometimes get really low pressure early morning. I notice it when I´m showering - I keep a man to do the washing-up Smile
I agree with Miron. Keep a man for the washing up.
Also at this time of year there is an influx of 'tourists', and there is usually a significant change in both the water pressure and the quality of the water. This is the only time of year we buy large bottles of water for drinking. The tourists are only here for a couple of weeks each year. Water pressure and taste will return to normal in a couple of weeks, if you live in Los Olivos that is.

Last edited by Rosie on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post by La Mancha Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:45 am

Some of the small scale farmers that don't have their own water supply may also be using tap water which could cause a drop in pressure.
La Mancha
La Mancha

http://www.cuevademama.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by driver Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks for all the useful advice as for keeping a man for the washing up there is only me here as the little ones are too small to reach the sink and the big one says "not my job im a dog dummy".As for keeping the filters clean way ahead there

driver

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:43 pm

A lot of peeps have the irrigation on for the gardens this time of year Smile
& More showers Smile And more gets pumped from the villages to the campo for the sheep herders Smile
HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by cavern Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:06 pm

What excellent points all round but Devon Dave's struck a chord with me, after renewing all out water pipes about a week later our water pressure dropped and when checking the filters in the taps etc they were full of calcium but now looking back they were working on the water down the road , turning the supply on and off that week, it could have been them loosening it - It really worried me that I had a week before my arteries furred up lol!

On that note though does anybody around use a water softening device of any sort ? I have heard about these magnetic thingies and wondered if they work ? don't know if anybody is the same but I am forever boiling up vinegar to clean the kettle, so it is still a bit of a worry.
cavern
cavern

http://www.piablepebble.wix.com/cuevas-bazavista

Back to top Go down

Post by madaboutveg Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:27 pm

When I make a brew I pour the water from the kettle through a tea strainer, so I dont care how caked up the kettle gets, it all collects in the strainer so I can drink to the bottom of my mug

madaboutveg

Back to top Go down

Post by cavern Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:45 pm

madaboutveg wrote:When I make a brew I pour the water from the kettle through a tea strainer, so I dont care how caked up the kettle gets, it all collects in the strainer so I can drink to the bottom of my mug

Takes more electricity to boil the kettle the more it is furred up - honestly get some very cheapo white vinegar boil it up ( caution do not inhale the steam it will knock ya socks off ) and it will be a clean as a sparkling penny - rinse well though, vinegar and Typhoo doesn't mix Mad
cavern
cavern

http://www.piablepebble.wix.com/cuevas-bazavista

Back to top Go down

Post by madaboutveg Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:01 pm

I dont use an electric kettle, will it knock my socks off in a good way or bad way. seriously though, I have friends who`s water quality is terrible and the lumps of rock just appear in every brew, I must buy them a tea strainer.

madaboutveg

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:10 pm

Buy bottle water for anything drinkable Smile Spending a couple of Euros a week seems safer Smile
HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by Boothjendar Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:14 am

Every few months we use a diluted solution of Agua fuerte. We just boil it up it the Kettle which strips all the limescale of, makes the kettle look shinny new as-well, just make sure you rinse well before making your first cuppa.

Boothjendar
Boothjendar

Back to top Go down

Post by driver Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:18 am

Further to boothys post make sure you fill the kettle and boil AGAIN before using other wise fine i have done this for years in yuk and over here no probs do it about once a month much better and quicker than vinegar

driver

Back to top Go down

Post by david kirby Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:17 pm

Hi we have a seperate water filter tap !! under the sink we have 4 filters due !! to the calcium deposits are not good for your bladder here many people get bladder and kidney stones too. We have no calcium in kettle at all best thing we ever bought here well actually we came from Almeria where its just as bad. But we too in Cortes have water pressure problems especially in this month !.
david kirby
david kirby

Back to top Go down

Post by david kirby Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:23 pm

Hi we have a water filter and tap with 4 filters really the best thing we ever bought here no calcium in kettle ! worth everypenny bought it in Almeria were we used to live ! apparently here many people suffer from kidney and bladder stones ! here to in Cortes water pressure up and down too. We new people who had got water softeners too expensive but worked very well saves on pipes getting blocked and your water heaters too.
david kirby
david kirby

Back to top Go down

Post by miron Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:02 pm

When we did our cave reform we included a de-calicifier machine in our plumbing installation - it´s fitted to the incoming water supply and does something complicated - I had it explained to me but science stuff tends to go in one ear and out the other, whether in English or in Spanish. Anyway, it seems to work fine - no calcium bits in the kettle and the water tastes good to drink. From time to time it needs a top-up with salt, but ours has been in use for a year and hasn´t needed any adding so far.
Of course it costs - €550 for equipment, installation and commissioning - a bloke came from Granada to commission with our plumber. And a shed to put it in, tho that´s come in handy for tools. No wonder we´re strapped for cash now!

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:08 pm

A shed, How big is it?
Dave
Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by david kirby Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:26 pm

shed loads eh ! but worth it i think !! Embarassed
david kirby
david kirby

Back to top Go down

Post by miron Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:28 pm

Just a little shed. It needed a power supply too.

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down