The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many??

+6
cazcove
Ken
Boothjendar
mikey
Cave Bunny
bigcol
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How many?? Empty How many??

Post by bigcol Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:35 am

heres a question

How would a propective business venture, doing Market research into a possible customer base and what needs they can fulfil find out the following

How many expats families live in the Baza area 10 miles surrounding
How many expat houses caves are in the area

I know there was somthing if you googles Los cariones that gave inhabitants counts

But how many British, English are their??

If theirs a amount let say 5000' this would be enough to support a well run business
But the truth is their could be as little as 50 families
If theres more! why is it that these folks are not enrolling on the forum
Or is it what we all wanted a unspoilt part of Spain ths spanish way of life, that hasn't been conolised by us terrible Brits,

there's just us on the forum!

If the above is the case,it's not our (,british dutch)support businesses need!

Prodomatley it's the Spanish, it is their country

I've kept on about more Expat support, but perhaps thats just it!!! There's only a handful of us here!

Worse than that
folks not resident
I'm not resident. Want to be
Daves not resident. Will be soon

just how many of us are their??n how does one find out??
Col
lol!

Last edited by bigcol on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:48 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling yet again)
bigcol
bigcol

Location : On the high seas somwhere!! I've stopped drinking water .... I hseen what it does to the bottom of our boat!

Back to top Go down

How many?? Empty Re: How many??

Post by Cave Bunny Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:55 am

Ask at the town hall I guess, although it might take a while to get a response. ;-)

Meanwhile the junta de andalucia has this info for 2010. Of course, these only show registered residents. Just about 10% foreigners, the largest proportion being Romanian.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Cave Bunny on Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : link added)
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:17 pm

There is not enough Non Spanish people here to support a business catering for people other than the spanish, if you want to run a business then you need to head towards Albox or the coast where there are loads of British people, the people that are in our area came here to get away from the hussle and bussle of the english way of life. How many british here in our area have set up a business to target the spanish customers? not many but the ones that have are still going.
mikey
mikey

Location : Watching Torquay United win the FA cup (in my dreams)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Absolutely agreed Mikey. Wink
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Boothjendar Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:28 pm

Col,

''How many expats families live in the Baza area 10 miles surrounding
How many expat houses caves are in the area''

Its almost impossible to find this info out as many expats are still staying below the radar, IE. not registered at the Hacienda therefore not paying 'La Renta' even those non resident rarely complete form 210/215 declaring their interests here, and similarly most only ever resister on the padron once rather than the required every 3 months. It would appear most expats for some reason don't bother with any form of officialdom perhaps in order to avoid paying out money.

And as far as support for any business hear !! either due to economic problems or a sheer contempt for contributing to the Spanish system there seems to be more and more non payers or supporters of any business either expat or not.
Boothjendar
Boothjendar

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:29 pm

The problem is not much better on the coast.
A lot of businesses are not consistent and lose support. I have traveled 20k twice for a meal with my wife to be told on arrival, sorry no cook today.................. There wont be a third time.
When people travel a distance from out of Baza to visit a business that is advertised as being open, and it isn´t.............will they go back?????
The only business that seems to be reliable and do what it says on the tin, is Donnelly´s (Not everyone's cup of tea, excuse the pun), but they set up at the beginning of the recession, are open when they say they will be.....and totally legal.
Easy to blame the lack of support from Ex Pats. Perhaps looking inwards would be a good place to start.
I applaud anyone trying to set up a business, it is hard, and takes a lot of hard work to survive.
It is a shame fusions failed. I think the intention was good. The Mayor of Baza supported the venture as an information and resource centre. I believe that there may still be a foreigners office soon at the Town Hall.
Hopefully the Mayor will still be receptive.

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:29 pm

What benefits are there to not being in the system? compared to being in the system? i am here fully legal and working and in the system and get bugger all from the state unless i am out of work or ill, medically wise you dont have to be in the system to use it as i know of many people who have used the medical centres here who are not officially here, and the unemployment benefit is nothing to write home about and there are most probably loads of people here getting benefits from the uk so why go into the system here? no point at all
mikey
mikey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:25 pm

Mikey, well done. So why are you in the system? Perhaps you are young enough to enjoy good health. Try getting any form of long term care for serious life threatening conditions when you are not in the system, young or old.
There are many people here claiming benefits from the UK to which they are entitled, there are also some scum that claim benefits from the UK illegally.Still it´s all a matter of choices for an individual.

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:32 pm

Ken, well done to someone who has got off their arse and got a legal job, in the past it would have been the norm, now it is the norm just to be on benefits, yes i am young enough to be healthy but i have a daughter who is young but still needs daily treatment which if i was not in the system i would not be entilted to and quite rightly so, why should the people who pay into the system have to support those that dont?
mikey
mikey

Back to top Go down

Post by cazcove Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:56 pm

so glad i paid into the system for 45 years no one can say i am scum, well some might lol..

cazcove

Back to top Go down

Post by miron Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:05 pm

Going back to the original thread about support for businesses offering services aimed at ex-pats here, we haven´t all come here wanting the same things as in the UK. There´s relatively few ´English´ things I want here - and Consum in Baza stocks most of them. I have bought the odd thing from Fusions and I went to Baza Books from time to time but on the whole I wouldn´t go out of my way to go to an English pub, restaurant or shop when there are enough Spanish bars and shop within walking distance.
I would wish any Englsh person here starting up in business well and would sympathise if they didn´t make it, but I don´t feel an obligation to support them! That´s not meant to sound harsh, just how it is for me and I imagine at least a few other English-speaking people who have moved here.

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by cazcove Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Fusions was not just a shop it was an information centre that has helped many expats who had nowhere to go for help

Lisa and Becky worked hard to help many people

I do understand that you get plenty from the spanish side of life here ie shop and bars

cazcove

Back to top Go down

Post by bigcol Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:51 pm

My sincerest apologies
I wish Lisa and Becky all the best in their new venture

I thought that Fusions was a business as in Shop that let out stalls etc and makes revenue from sales and service.

Well that's one business to cross of the list then
Information centres don't make it !

Col

bigcol
bigcol

Location : On the high seas somwhere!! I've stopped drinking water .... I hseen what it does to the bottom of our boat!

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:02 pm

Miron, my sentiments exactly, well said
mikey
mikey

Back to top Go down

Post by bigcol Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:07 pm

Hi Miron and Mikey

So how many local people were fusions catering for?
Are we saying that Businesses shops information centres May not be needed in the area.

Col

Last edited by bigcol on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:21 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : SpElling)
bigcol
bigcol

Back to top Go down

Post by miron Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:42 pm

So how many local people were fusions catering for?
Are we saying that Businesses shops information centres May not be needed in the area.

It´s not that´s there´s not a need, more that the need isn´t enough to keep places going on a permanent basis.
I´m sure Fusions did a great job helping people with info and advice, it´s the commercial side that´s the problem. I didn´t go on one of their shopping trips, but thought they were a good idea - more eco-friendly than everyone going solo in there own cars and handy for non car-owners like me.
I forgot to say that the one place I really do value is ´New to You´ cos there´s so few outlets for second-hand stuff. There often seem to be Spanish people browsing there when I visit.
And several Spanish people have told me how good the Baza Sunday car boot is!

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:18 pm

Information centres would work but what is stopping people going and finding the info themselves, i am not knocking fusions but a lot of their info was gained from the town hall, if anyone wants that info why not go in and ask yourself, that way you could introduce yourself to the staff there and they would be more willing to help face to face, works for me with the Castril town hall
mikey
mikey

Back to top Go down

Post by Boothjendar Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:21 pm

Wasn't much point in having an information centre here as most people generally ignore all the useful advice lol!
Boothjendar
Boothjendar

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:25 pm

A help and advice desk in any of the town halls would go down well with someone being there to help out anyone who cant speak the lingo
mikey
mikey

Back to top Go down

Post by cavern Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:40 am

I think what people have to remember although we have all come to this area, rather than the coast ,because we don't want to be surrounded by the fried breakfast, fish and chip, pint drinking Brits. We like the Spanish should be encouraging all expat ventures as the economy of this area ( as all of Spain ) needs outside investers.

For any expats coming to this area with an outlook to buy property or maybe start a business themselves, there is very little existing support .Not even that many bars to ask about the area. It is all very well if you have learnt the lingo, found friends both Spanish and English etc but to sell this area we need to have some high profile expat meeting points, cafe , bars etc. So yes although you are not obliged to use them and maybe yourself could do without them. It is doubtful if the local economy could. So think about going out your way sometimes , If a local English bar makes an effort to do something special for the expat community try and support it. This will be helping the Spanish far more than you seem to realise .

If we could also do something to encourage the Germans and Dutch etc. to invest in property here , then many Spanish companies would profit tremendously . Not to mention houses would sell and thus prices go up.

It is coming over to me as if there a lot of we don't need the Brits - Spain does, so we do.
cavern
cavern

http://www.piablepebble.wix.com/cuevas-bazavista

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Sharp Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:27 am

Well said Cavern,very well said.Of course the Spanish economy needs us,the expats contribute greatly to the areas into which they settle.The best local example is Galera,if the expats hadn't moved in there the town would have shut down by now.
An information center will always be useful,anything that helps to bridge the gap between the two cultures will help.The work that Fusions did in the time it was open was much appreciated and I for one hope that they do manage to get some sort of fulltime set up with the Town Hall.

Ian Sharp

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:24 pm

I am all for an information centre. long overdue in this area. However I believe it should be independent of any business or commercial interests. The only way I can see that happening is if it is sponsored by the Town Hall. Previously the Mayor of Baza was keen on this and I believe that accommodation could have been made available at the Town Hall, but he chose to support Fusions.
For what ever reason it failed.
There are approaches being made to the Mayor and lets hope we see something positive happening.

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by cavern Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:21 pm

As this is a thread about statistics I would also be interested to know - how many Spanish actually buy cave houses ? especially those that have been reformed to cater for the British taste ?

cavern
cavern

http://www.piablepebble.wix.com/cuevas-bazavista

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:34 pm

All the time I worked for Pepe, I only know of one cave house sale that was made to a Spaniard.
Last year a family from Barcelona bought a cave in our village and have had it reformed to a spectacular standard to use as a holiday home.

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponderosa Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:34 pm

Ken wrote:All the time I worked for Pepe, I only know of one cave house sale that was made to a Spaniard.
Last year a family from Barcelona bought a cave in our village and have had it reformed to a spectacular standard to use as a holiday home.

A Spanish business man in Baza has sold 8 small furnished caves on a complex with a swimming pool children’s swing and slid near us (Las Yesera) in the last 6 or 7 months, to all Spanish people.

Rolling Eyes
Ponderosa
Ponderosa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum