The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inquisitive newbie !!

+10
La Mancha
Cullarfamily
HappyChic
Cave Bunny
LUHG
pebbles
mikey
Jenny
Dave
richieangie1
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Inquisitive newbie !! - Page 2 Empty Re: Inquisitive newbie !!

Post by pebbles Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:06 pm

Fab pick Dave

I am already preparing for winter fun - trying to get a sledge for Alejandro! (already got him some baby snow boots...............I hope we get some snow now!!!!)

pebbles

http://www.abiteofspain.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LUHG Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:47 pm

Which one is Reece? Laughing

I love the 4 distinct seasons here. It's one of the reason's we chose this area too Angie. Although i notice you are from Suffolk and as i was brought up in Norfolk and have married a Norfolk girl maybe i should be recommending Almeria!!! Laughing

LUHG

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:50 pm

Yep, they look alike dont they, although the one on the left has got very thin arms! Laughing

Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:54 pm

Here he is with Granny, Mummy and his uncle Kez

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imagemaker Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:13 pm

The only thing I would mention, is that employment after school/uni may be a problem. Spain and in particular country areas such as this, has and always has had, a high unemployment rate. This is why there is a big gap between the young population in these villages and the (relatively) old. After uni, because of the lack of opportunities in this and many other areas in Spain, most 18-25 year olds, tend to leave to go to the big cities or overseas. That happens all over the world for sure, but it is quite noticable here............the demographic is 'top heavy'.

However, this is a wonderful place to live but that statement is coming from the viewpoint of a 60 something oldie.........who, incidentally, loves to mountain bike in the campo and go hiking in the sierras!

P.S. When my daughter and family lived for a year on the Costa Blanca, the children were almost fluent within a year - the middle child at 9 years old found it easiest with the then 4 and 13 year olds finding it more difficult.

Imagemaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:42 pm

Please feel free to call and see us when you are over here! We have lived in Castilléjar for 6 years in a cave which is beyond recognition to how it was when we bought it! However, a young lady whose grandparents owned the cave (it had been in her family for at least 200 years!) is in regular contact with us and even came to visit us last summer. She was delighted with all the work we have done here and so pleased that we had kept the "soul" of the cave and said it even smelled the same as it did when she spent her holidays here with her grandparents. We'd love to show you just what can be done with these wonderful ancient dwellings! If you look on our website you'll find our telephone number and lots of stuff about us all. Sally (mother of Kate, aka Pebbles) x

Last edited by Sally on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Thought of something else!)
Sally
Sally

http://www.cuevapedro.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by gilly Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:31 pm

Hi! I moved out here at the begining of May and intended to buy a good second hand car, however they hold their price really well as they dont rust like they do in UK!! In the end I bought a new Diesel Toyota Yaris which compared well with UK prices. Also remember you dont pay road tax out here! Think it should do me for a very long time (or at least I hope so!!). I am sure lots of members of the forum would be happy to show you their caves. Every one is unique, they come in all shapes and sizes. Mine was a complete hovel when I bought it but its just perfect after reform!! Happy hunting!
gilly
gilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:36 pm

Hi Gilly, I thought you paid road tax to your local town hall?
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:54 am

We pay road tax every year Gilly - the bill comes from the Town Hall and we pay it at the bank. x
Sally
Sally

http://www.cuevapedro.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by gilly Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:39 am

Ahh is that on the community tax bill or seperate? Well even so its still very cheap in comparison to ukfrom what I have seen so far! Far better to be paying direct to the local council than into a central pot. You will have to excuse me as I am relatively new to the ways of Spanish bureaucracy and they are somewhat confusing at times!! In future I will keep quiet!!! Wink
gilly
gilly

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyChic Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:57 am

Seperate..... Smile cheaper than Uk tax tho.
HappyChic
HappyChic

Back to top Go down

Post by santamaria Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi and welcome.

I saw you had asked about Orce and Fuente Nueva. We live in Fuente Nueva. Yes I would say, life here is more like the 1950’s for all the right reasons, for helpfulness, politeness, concern for ones neighbours and their children, shopping at a butchers and fishmongers rather than large impersonal supermarket. Little or no crime etc.

Yes our wonderful ‘village’ bobby does drive the children to school.

Fuente Neuva, is a rural hamlet of Orce, with no shops pubs etc, so it all depends on what type of lifestyle one is looking for. Great for children but unlike Orce, just a small group of children live in Fuente Nueva all year round. However every year, the number has been going up, so three more, would be very welcome. On summer evenings, we see the children riding their bikes, horse riding and playing in the country side, with their parents relaxed and unworried about their wellbeing, as there is always a watchful eye from one of the neighbours.

There is a close community spirit, with Neighbours popping by with fruit veg, eggs and stop for a wine and tapas and to share any local news. So you always need to make sure you have refreshments in the pantry, (smile).

If you have a look at this website and the blog, (written by someone who came out, to live in Fuente Nueva, with his young son and wife in 2005) you will get a real essence for what life in Fuente Nueva, for a young family with a child, moving to a rural Spanish hamlet from England is like. In fact written by the founder of this forum bounce

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Orce is 'busier' with shops, bars, restaurants, more children, kids clubs all sorts of activities all year round.

Both Orce and Fuente Nueva, have something to offer for sure; however from reading the posts, everyone seems to feel there is something special about their village or hamlet. One thing, we all seem to have in common is our love of living in caves cheers

Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for. Besos
santamaria
santamaria

http://www.cuevasantamaria.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2