The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Location of nearby shops

+2
Cestrian
Natasha
6 posters

Go down

Location of nearby shops Empty Location of nearby shops

Post by Natasha Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:17 am

My hobby is sewing and here in the UK I have access to lots of different haberdashery and fabric shops but I have a sinking feeling that I will have to travel much much further to fulfill my hobby in Spain. Does anyone know if there is a fabric shop close to or even in Baza? I suspect that ordering online will also be tricky, is there an Amazon collection point somewhere close?

Also, in Baza there is a Lidls and a Mercadona (that I know of) which of those is the better? in the UK I find that I can't do my entire weekly shop in Lidls as they have limited stock. Or perhaps there is another supermarket that I've overlooked. Plus, is it cheaper to buy from a small local market than a large chain? or best to go to the weekly markets?

Clothes, from my experience the clothing prices in Spain are higher than in the UK, or at least I should say that I've only ever seen clothes in little boutiques etc etc which makes them expensive, is there anywhere similar to New Look or cheaper high street clothes shops in the area? not the Chinese though as their sizes stop before reaching mine!

Not long now before I'm out there, 26th October is my moving in day Smile really looking forward to it.

Natasha

Back to top Go down

Location of nearby shops Empty Re: Location of nearby shops

Post by Cestrian Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:37 am

Hi Natasha.   For food shopping, as Lidl and Mercadona are quite close, we will do both, sort of mix and match, works for us.  There is a Consum further up the road, ( or there was ! ) but we think it is quite dear.  
Once a month or so, we will have a day in Granada and do a big shop at Carrefour  (Pulianas ), it's quite a big place and you can get everything you need there.  Also, the Nevada shopping is nearby too,  has a Primark and some Brit clothes shops and loads of Spanish clothes shops too,  but Lin thinks they are slightly dearer than UK stores.

Les
Cestrian
Cestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cats-R-Us Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:18 pm

We tend to use all 3 supermarkets (Lidl, Mercadona and Consum) depending on what we want to buy. They are all close together. There is also a Dia supermarket between Consum and Lidl but it is a small one.
Clothing shops (boutique) are quite expensive to my mind. There is a Disastry (not sure of spelling) in Baza and Huescar which sells cheaper clothes. Otherwise, as Cestrian said, a day trip to Granada is a good day out with plenty of shops. Personally I prefer the Carrefour the other side of Granada to Pullianas as it is much bigger and it is nearer the Nevada shopping centre.

Sorry can't help on Amazon collection points but anything we order on line we usually have sent to a local restaurant or garage where we are friendly with the owners as it is not always easy for couriers to find us in a cave house.

Shops can often be tucked away in a side street or alleyway so you need to find someone who also does sewing to help you with materials etc. There used to be a material shop opposite the BBVA bank in Baza but I know that closed some years ago. I did use it one day as I wanted some thread but they didn't sell any haberdashery, only material. The owner kindly took me up the road, into an alleyway, into a small shop, said sorry to the customers waiting and pushed me to the front telling the owner what I wanted. What I am trying to say is you may have to visit several shops to get what you want, unlike in Britain where a material shop sells everything you could want to make an item. Some stalls on the various markets sometimes sell material too.
Cats-R-Us
Cats-R-Us

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bill Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:52 pm

I think Mercadona is the one supermarket that has everything, but it's expensive. Lidl is good for cheap  food, household stuff and gadgets, but of course you won't find so many branded products in there. Consum is good for meat, fish, and veg, but parking can be awkward. Most towns also have a Coviran somewhere. That's a smaller Spanish chain run by franchisees. I can't understand why Aldi don't have a place in Baza- I wrote to ask and got no reply.
Uncle Bill
Uncle Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurchio Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:58 pm

If your Amazon purchase is being handled by SEUR (crap as they are!), and mostly they are, then a quick flit 'on line' to the SEUR website (in English) and you can have your package delivered to Papellier Black in Baza which is the Fancy goods / Stationary shop very near the Plaza Major in Baza.
Lurchio
Lurchio

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:27 pm

Thank you everyone, you have been very helpful.

Lurchio, do you know if Papellier Black charge for the service of holding onto parcels?

Natasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:36 pm

I can't find Papellier Black in Baza on the Paginas Amarillas, is it Papeleria Black? Actually, I can't find a paper shop in Baza at all in the Spanish Yellow pages.

Natasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurchio Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:29 pm

Natasha wrote:I can't find Papellier Black in Baza on the Paginas Amarillas, is it Papeleria Black?  Actually, I can't find a paper shop in Baza at all in the Spanish Yellow pages.

Yes, sorry, that's the one, near the Plaza Mayor. No, theres no charge and the owner is a Gent. Take a look at some of his own art work whilst there! If you arrange for the item to be dropped there, SEUR will advise when this has been done.
Lurchio
Lurchio

Back to top Go down

Post by La Mancha Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:32 pm

Just seen this post. Don't forget the Shopping Centre in Lorca. What was an Eroski is now a Carrefour and also C&A, H&M, Zara, Media Markt and more [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
La Mancha
La Mancha

http://www.cuevademama.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down