The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Healthcare in Spain

+3
Ponderosa
Diamonddog59
Ken
7 posters

Go down

Healthcare in Spain Empty Healthcare in Spain

Post by Ken Sun May 31, 2015 6:07 pm

I am being asked on a regular basis about the current situation and how to get healthcare.
The link below has the latest up to date guide and information.
If you are on , well worth joining this organisation.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ken

Back to top Go down

Healthcare in Spain Empty Re: Healthcare in Spain

Post by Diamonddog59 Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:40 pm

being honest, I rang up to get an S1 and I was told my Army pension no longer qualifies as a state pension and that I no longer have healthcare in the UK.

As I have a pre-existing condition private healthcare is too expensive so I won't be covered until I am 66 in 11 years. Nice repayment for 23 years of serving your country and makes you wonder, what the point of giving you a pension at 55 is, if you can't afford to retire or get sick.

If anyone knows a way around this, please let me know xx

Diamonddog59

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:52 pm

Have pm'd you

Ken

Back to top Go down

Healthcare in Spain Empty Blue card update

Post by Ponderosa Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:44 am

Hi Ken,
Please tell us how we can update our Blue cards. Regards. Rolling Eyes

Each country’s healthcare system is slightly different. Therefore, your EHIC might not cover everything that would be free on the NHS. However, you should be able to get the same treatment as a resident of the country you're visiting.
In some countries, you may have to pay a patient contribution, also known as a co-payment. See our county-by-country guide for more information.
You may be able to get a refund for these payments when you're back in the UK if you could not do so in the country where you were treated.
The EHIC will cover any medical treatment that becomes necessary during your trip, for example because of either illness or an accident. (In an emergency you can dial the European emergency number 112 from any telephone or mobile phone).
The card gives access to reduced-cost or free medical treatment from state healthcare providers.
It includes treatment of a chronic or pre-existing medical condition that becomes necessary during your visit.
It includes routine maternity care (not only because of illness or accident), as long as you're not going abroad to give birth. However, where the birth happens unexpectedly, the card will cover the cost of all medical treatment for mother and baby that is linked to the birth.
The card covers the provision of oxygen and kidney dialysis. You will have to arrange and pre-book these treatments before you go on holiday. You can ask your GP or hospital for advice, but make sure you are not booked with a private healthcare provider as these are not covered by the EHIC.
The card also covers routine medical care for people with pre-existing conditions that need monitoring.
Ponderosa
Ponderosa

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:21 am

Peter
I assume you are talking about the EHIC blue card. If you are and they have expired the following applies, (the last time I checked).
A) Pensioner living in Spain in possession of a Spanish health card, the UK will issue a new one.
B) If you have health card and are below retirement age, you have to apply through the Spanish Social security system, either on line or at their office. They won't always issue you with a card, I have known some offices to tell you to come back just before you travel and then issue you with a paper document.
C) If you are not in receipt of a Spanish Medical Card and have told the benefits agency that you are no longer are resident in the UK and your card has expired, you are not entitled to a renewal.

AS I ALWAYS SAY, MOST OF YOUR ANSWERS ARE ON THE BRITISH EMBASSY MADRID WEBSITE.
ALSO CITIZENS ADVICE BUREAU SPAIN HAS A WEBSITE AND ARE ON . REALLY, GOOD AND WORTH JOINING.

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponderosa Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:58 pm

Thank you Ken I think my wife is panicking we have cards for everything yesterday we were out and have checked them and were all up to date except the EHIC card. Thank you once again.
Ponderosa
Ponderosa

Back to top Go down

Post by rammstein Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:26 pm

You can do applications / renewals on line very easily in the Spanish system and they post the card out to you - if you are eligible for one through the Spanish system.

This is the link for the UK system.
rammstein
rammstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamonddog59 Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:02 pm

what ever you do, don't tell them you are living out here for more than 6 months or they will cancel all Health Care on the spot unless you are over State Pension age and you will have to go private or get on the Spanish system.

I had a EHIC Card but when I got my full Army Pension and rang up to enquire about an S1 so I could get residency, they cancelled all my Health Care.

Now in the process of getting quotes and seeing if there is a way around the bureaucracy.

Thanks again to Ken who has been very helpful and informative.

Diamonddog59

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponderosa Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:10 pm

From what you are saying we have nothing to worry about my wife is 82 and I am 85 when we first bought in Spain we had to go to the Spanish Embassy in London and take an exam and prove we would not be a burden on Spain when we retired here, we signed out form the English tax system. Our solicitor told us we could not leave anything in England which was not a problem for us and nothing ever seems to be a problem. My wife always seems to be one jump ahead on these things. Smile Very Happy
Ponderosa
Ponderosa

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamonddog59 Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:46 pm

If you are a UK/EU Citizen over state pension age you have 100% right to be 100% covered and the Spanish send the bill to the UK, who will honour it, other than you will have to pay your local prescription charges.

It is people under state pension age that are not already paying into the Spanish system or who no longer have a UK address, who have problems since the Conservatives cut support in August.

Diamonddog59

Back to top Go down

Post by miron Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:57 pm

My other half has just got sorted with medical cover. Here's what he did:
Rang the International Pensions Centre for an S1 form.
Took it to the Social Worker at the Health Centre in Benamaurel who registered him with a local doctor for three months while the registration proper is sorted out.
Made an appointment online with the INSS in Baza and saw them to complete the procedure.
The medical card will be sent to him. He needed his S1, passport, NI number, NIE number and certificate and an up-to-date Padron.
Paloma at Benamuarel was really helpful and easy to understand, while the man at the INSS was a bit scary.
Next step is to get me registered as his dependent for which we have to send the marriage certificate to the IPC for them to issue a new S1 with my info on too (we didn't get round to informing them we were married before hand). But Paloma gave me 3 months temporary registration anyway.
Simples (-ish) !

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamonddog59 Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:30 pm

I take it your Mother is State Pension age?

Diamonddog59

Back to top Go down

Post by miron Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:06 am

Diamonddog59 wrote:I take it your Mother is State Pension age?

'Mother'? No: 'other half'! Yes, he's in receipt lf a state pension - that's why we contacted the IPC for the S1. I'm not.

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamonddog59 Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:54 am

That is why I no longer have health care, I assumed my Army Pension would entitle me to an S1 and when I called they stripped me of my Health Care because I don't have a "State Pension", as Army pensions are now considered private (doh) so I now have to wait until I am 66 before they will give me an S1.

My issue is not that my WO2/Sergeant-Major's pension of 22 years is not enough to afford health-care.

If anyone knows how to get round this please do post!

Diamonddog59

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:51 pm

PLEASE HAVE A LOOK ON THEIR WEBSITE.

We at CAB Spain were the pioneers in sharing the fact that all pre April 2012 residents are allowed free healthcare in Spain. Requisites: Resident, registered on the padron and earning less than 100,000 annually. The details on how to register as ‘persona sin recursos’ and how to enter into the NHS system can be found under health on our FAQs link. This also applies to those who were employed, autonomos and those on unemployment.

Please visit this LINK to the health section of our library and read ‘Ultimate Guide to Getting into and Thriving in the Healthcare System’

Children under 18 are not to be denied free healthcare no matter what their status (includes nonresidents) Pregnant women are also allowed free healthcare pre during and post birth. All emergencies/accidents are entitled to free treatment for the emergency/accident regardless of residency status. Immigrants without papers are entitled to basic healthcare.

Thanks to our medic Marica Cecilia Tacchi, it was discovered that the department of the INSS were using a trick to deny post April 2012 residents free healthcare. The royal decree April 2012 is a law on residency and used by the INSS. This is illegal. There have been at least three cases taken and won against the INSS who refused healthcare to post April 2012 residents. The law on healthcare states that ALL residents are entitled to free healthcare meeting the requisites in the first chapter.

Please visit this LINK And watch the video.

Visit this LINK for updates on post April 2012 residents and free healthcare.

Please note that two of our team advisers were able to assist two post April 2012 resident members to apply and obtain free healthcare.

It is only fair to warn all post April 2012 residents that the INSS may not deny your application for healthcare but suggest that first you visit extranjeria to check that your resident status is still in order. We have been advised from a good source, that this may be a scare tactic.

Please note: Post April 2012 residents. This is the section of the law that states on Articulo 3. Nota! that all residents who are not insured either by working, as pensioners or others who fall under the category of being in receipt of 100,000 euros a year, are entitled to free healthcare. Visit this LINK

It has come to our attention and we have been given two letter to resident expats asking them to provide documents to special departments with all documents. In these cases, both residents are living here totally legal, have pensions and healthcare paid for by the UK. We suspect that this is the start of more cutbacks, intending to curb immigration.

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by pete_l Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:49 pm

Confused? You will be.
There is an article in El Pais in English about some regions handing out health cards. [ link [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As a taster: Aragon, Valencia, the Balearic Islands and Cantabria – chose to circumvent the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that places limits on healthcare access for those without residency papers.... the Castilla-La Mancha and Extremadura regional governments said they would also soon be introducing laws to provide healthcare access to illegal immigrants

The article also says: any migrant could still visit a hospital emergency room in the event of an accident or if they had an infectious disease.

pete_l

http://www.pete-lynch.com/la_casa.html

Back to top Go down

Post by miron Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:50 pm

Hurrah, all paperwork handed into INSS, hope to be 'in the system' very soon! 1300 seems a good time for an appointment - nobody else waiting, whereas earlier it is a bit busier (same if you make an online GP appointment).
We thought Ron would get his medical card through the post, but first came a letter confirming he was now registered here, which he had to take to Paloma in Benamaurel, and the card came a week or so after that.

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by miron Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:14 pm

3 months later and I've just got my letter telling me I'm entitled! I found the INSS office in Huescar better than the one in Baza - easier to get an appointment and friendlier.

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurchio Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:46 pm

I am pleased for you! Your situation has always been the case, if you are married to a person in receipt of a UK 'Old Age' pension and that person is getting healthcare in Spain paid for by the UK under an S1, you will automatically be entitled to do as you have. Further more, its regardless of your age, you could be 20 to 64 years old and still get it! It would also work the 'other way around' i.e. a Lady of pensionable age married to a male below that age. (say no more!)

The 'black hole' is for those 'early retirees' who are below pension age and became residents after April 2012. Notwithstanding the fact that they have paid NI contributions in the UK for what could be 40 years as things stand they are on their own in Spain as regards healthcare and have to pay , whether that's Private healthcare or the Convenio Especial. Without Healthcare deemed to be 'equivalent to the Spanish NHS' you will not get Residency (as its loosely called, but everyone understands the ethic) and you can't access the Convenio Especial until you can prove residency for over 12 months, so that's catch 22. So more or less its private healthcare for 12 months, and Boy do they check your healthcare arrangements closely when you apply, 'temporary' cover of less than 12 months or 'holiday' type cover is excluded under residency rules.

Now, if the April 2012 timeframe was removed in Andalucía..................
Lurchio
Lurchio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down