The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

special license

5 posters

Go down

special license Empty special license

Post by Radar Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:50 am

Pending a possible move over does any one know if need to have a special license for a dog that weighs over 25kg..? i have a weimaraner fully trained working gundog, he weighs 32kg they dont come under the list of dangerous dogs but do i need to muzzle him when out? also do dogs need to be on leads at all times even in the campo.. he is fully trained on whistle,voice and hand commands.

Dave
Radar
Radar

Back to top Go down

special license Empty Re: special license

Post by Mariposa Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:54 am

Welcome to the Forum!

There are 'laws' in Spain regarding dogs, but I don't think they are really adhered to!

There has been talk of trying to bring in rules regarding dogs over the 25kg weight, but I can't find any information that this has happened. There are many dogs in my area that are over 25kg.

Each area also seems to have different rules.

Our area here - inland Granada, is very rural and mainly a farming community. There are unwritten rules that ANY AREA including the campo where sheep, goats, cattle, pigs, etc,. are situated or roaming dogs should always be on a lead. Farmers have a right to shoot dogs that bother their animals in even the smallest way - as in nearly all of the EU.

Foxes here are often killed with poison put in the fox holes. If your dog is loose, it could potentially eat the poison and die. This too has happened here.

I personally keep my dog on a lead at all times when outside my garden and he is just a little thing! That is my decision.

At the end of the day, it is up to each dog owner to act responsibly and think about the safety of their dog and others.

More and more Spanish people now have dogs in the home, this has been a very slow change and many here are still affraid of dogs, especially the big ones.

Google what you can and maybe contact some dog clubs in Spain, but I am sure you and he will be fine here.

Good luck, Caroline.
Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by Radar Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:20 pm

Hi Caroline

Thanks for the reply, common sense i suppose really,i have read some alarming storys of people being stopped and fined for not having their dogs on lead and muzzled although that was not in your area, the dog is always on lead when near livestock, i would hope that there is land nearby the area that is livestock free and he can be allowed to run,he is trained to hunt,point and retrieve shot or wounded game so i would like to carry on with his field work.
Radar
Radar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariposa Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:10 pm

Hi Dave

There are hunts most weekends at the moment here, so that is another thing to think about - either join in, or just know to keep your dog away during hunting season. As you probably know, most hunting dogs are not treated very well here.

Most of the land for miles around my cave is used by various herds, mainly sheep, goats and cattle. More remote areas I am sure would have places where you could let him stretch his legs! Where ever you buy, I would think there would be somewhere you could drive to for a walk.

Maybe you could buy a cave with a few acres of land with it, then he will have all the leg stretching space he needs!!!

Caroline
Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by Radar Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:13 pm

that would be ideal..
Radar
Radar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cavernícola Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:59 pm

Cavernícola
Cavernícola

Back to top Go down

Post by MSA Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:58 am

Our dogs are always unleashed , the do now to local goats and shepperd. But we live a bit remote
MSA
MSA

https://www.facebook.com/MSA.alain

Back to top Go down

Post by Radar Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:24 am

are they big or small dogs?..do you have problems with ticks?
Radar
Radar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariposa Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:50 pm

As I said above, my house is surrounded by land that goats, sheep, cattle and horses walk on. My dog is small and has never had fleas or ticks. I use a spot on treatment on him from approx. March to September/October, when the hot weather arrives and goes and also a Scalibor Collar for the same dates.

Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:19 pm

If the dogs go through any shrubs when walking they will pick up tics and fleas even when protected as these things hitch a ride till they get to the next host. The protection does help protect them from actually being bitten. I live in Galera and Caz is not far away. We do have a very friendly vet nurse who has other quals as well who looks after us all in the aria You can have the number from one of us when you come.

Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post by MSA Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:29 pm

big dogs and we use scalibor, also against the sand fly
MSA
MSA

https://www.facebook.com/MSA.alain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content