The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

New to caves

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New to caves

Post by clareking on Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:22 am

Hello, We came to Baza area, and between them Lake Negratin, the Gorafe desert and Sierra de Baza made us realise that the Altiplano was very special. We are back here on 10th January. Be good to meet a few of you....
clareking

http://www.cafechameleon.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: New to caves

Post by Metaldunk on Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:08 pm

Here's a good website too if you've not seen it click Very Happy
Metaldunk

Back to top Go down

Fact finding visit... help please!

Post by clareking on Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:33 pm

Thank you for that link, all information very precious! I get a feeling that a lot of you are based ore towards Galera, which is a place I think we'd like to visit while we are over later this month.

Without being too long winded I hope, I want to explain a bit, so that if any of you feel like meeting us or pointing us to a social situation that would break the ice, you are maybe more comfortable doing it. We have on our list of "check THIS out" the Rastro at Baza on a sunday, (car boot sale) although we don't yet know if this happens in January when it can be a bit cold! Any heads up on that one?

So, Frank and I like southern Spain, but not really the costas, the sea is nice, but we aren't that happy in crowds and amidst rabid development. We had discovered the pueblo blancos around Ronda, and east of there we have been to the climbing region of El Chorro, El Torcal near Antiquera, the lakes at Alora and Ardales and had great times there. But we never actually quite clicked with the area except as visitors. Really don't know why because it's lovely.

Last year we went on a family break, Frank and I, my daughter Chilli and her partner Joe, and two other friends. All into the outdoors, and climbing particularly. I stuck my neck out and split the holiday to two locations as I'd been mildly curious about caves and we rented a cave near Friela for 8 days. What had been a little curiosity turned into a game changer.

Loved the cave, felt happy with the scenery and environments nearby, and saw some definate possibilities for small, environmentally sensitive business development. The climbing potential of the area is not realised fully yet, and there are many reasons why it might be possible to unfold a venture which combines challenge, survival, eco principles and some almost retreat like qualities in one package. Not anything massive just for iche markets really.

Also we think that there might just be somewhere we can live as an extended family that is affordable, beautiful and can engage us all on different levels.

Frank is a techy sort, a digital hippy you might say???? He can continue to work in his field online, location independent. Chilli and Joe are keen to consider the outdoors as a source of income, and i would continue to run my festival business which is seasonal, maybe reducing my season to the core of say June Juy and August here in UK doing what I do, and wintering in Spain. I have a daughter who would spend time with us when her kids school hols allowed, and that's it in a nugget.... Any comments???? We know it'snot all peachy in Spain, and that's what we want to find out this month... do get in touch we are willing to travel and explore other areas too.
clareking

Back to top Go down

Post by miron on Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:11 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum! Lots of lovely places to live here - you could explore Castillejar, Huescar, Galera, Orce and Castril too as possible places to live. If you like an outdoor life it's a good place to be but it's not easy to earn a living here! The population is fairly sparse and it's a long way from the usual holiday hotspots. Ecotourism is a good route to go down, in my opinion, but would need some careful research. Lots of info on the forum - just ask! Do you speak Spanish? It makes life a lot easier and more interesting if you do.

miron

Back to top Go down

Dig deeper....

Post by clareking on Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:17 am

As for the research that might be needed to contemplate a realistic eco tourist / adventure tourist / replenish-the soul tourist venture, any suggestions?

My side of the table I know that a detailed analysis of:

1. the possible client profiles
2. portals to their attention, particularly online
3. other activities in the area and their successes
4. existing business with which a conflict of interests must be avoided.
5. Legislation concerning all aspects of a business in this province.
6, Local attitudes to foreigners who wixh to relocate and run businesses.
7. The various eco-systems which are being managed and by what body.

Obviously beyond this, there are all the multitude of things that need to be worked out just to undertake a "straightforward" relocation. I am really looking forward to a good honest nay brutal discussion of the triumphs and pitfalls that have been experienced by someof you already.... and I really want to say it agan, I'm near Freila (Baza) from 10th - 20th January, very willing to travel to meet people who have caves and / or work in the areas around Embalse de Negratin. It's wonderful to find this forum, thanks for having me! Smile

clareking

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:28 pm

Galera is a very quiet village, friendly people, meeting place for English is mostly the Poza just drop in, caves round here are good. (i live in a house though) Entertainment only bars but they do put things on at times. Aug is fiesta month with entertainment each evening... till 7 AM, both cultural and bands. Other festivals are small but good and local villages have more. Enjoy looking round.

Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post by clareking on Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:28 pm

Thank you Mandi, Miren and Metaldunk! Just gained a grand-daughter on Jan 1st, so a bit blissed out by this. I'm going to read as much of the forun in other threads as bedtime reading tonight, I am sure I am going to be buzzing and unable to sleep! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
clareking

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Spanish Recipes