The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi Everyone

+5
Mandi
Sally
turner
pete_l
CarolL
9 posters

Go down

Hi Everyone Empty Hi Everyone

Post by CarolL Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:12 pm

We've spent a long weekend viewing cave houses, were impressed by the cave we stayed in, and have put in an offer on one in Cullar. Fingers crossed our offer will be accepted (the more we think and plan, the more we DEFINITELY want to buy it!). We can then decide on how to furnish it, and colour schemes. I was thinking too about rugs, throws, heavy curtaining and voiles - are they available in any of the towns from Baza to Huescar? Or is it better to get these items in the tourist areas on the coast?

Any advice would be welcome and thinks for reading. Anyone out there in the Cullar area?  Smile 

CarolL

Back to top Go down

Hi Everyone Empty Re: Hi Everyone

Post by pete_l Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:23 pm

Welcome!

CarolL wrote:We can then decide on how to furnish it, and colour schemes.
Errrr, white?  Smile 

Seriously, most houses in Spain have quite small windows in order to keep the heat out. That means maximising the amount of light in the rooms, hence white walls and ceilings.

I was thinking too about rugs, throws, heavy curtaining and voiles - are they available in any of the towns from Baza to Huescar?
Well, I haven't a scooby what a voile is, but rugs 'n' stuff you can get.
However, it's almost impossible to keep houses out here dust-free. So most people go for the easy cleaning route and just stick with bare, tiled, floors. Although I must say that I have some largeish rugs, esp. in the bedroom to keep my feet warm when I step out of bed. But the downside is, there are always light grey footprints on them - no matter how often you hoover.

Personally, I've not found a great selection of soft furnishings in this area (there are so few people, hence few shops and little choice). I brought most of my stuff from the UK

pete_l

http://www.pete-lynch.com/la_casa.html

Back to top Go down

Post by turner Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:49 pm

I have some very nice rugs from the Alpujarras, lovley day out and lots to choose from
Conforama in Granada has some nice furniture and "nicknacks" and maybe try the markets for voiles, throws etc. I know these aren't too local but they are places that I like so thought I'd suggest them.

turner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:52 pm

You can buy fab rugs here on various market stalls, throws, bedding, voiles, Moroccan style wall hangings, curtains and LOADS of material if you fancy being creative! Good luck! And, if you have any friends looking to buy, please check this out:http://cavehouseholiday.es/Caves%20For%20Sale.html
Thanks! Sally x
Sally
Sally

http://www.cuevapedro.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:39 pm

There is an Ikea in Murcia as well. But as said markets for throws and voils. we have rugs for winter as floor is direct on to soil, cold in winter but they have to come up regular to get dust up. or if you can find them washable ones. Annie gets nice ones she has a market stall, sure someone will say which markets she does besides Galera.

Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post by miron Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:49 am

The Alpujarran rugs are really nice and seem to suit caves. They come in different sizes and a whole range of colours, and are washable. Annie sells some on her stall, as mentioned already - maybe she will let you know where she is when. Or take a trip to one of the villages where they make them - I think Capilearera (not sure of spelling!) is one. It's very scenic and picturesque, worth a visit. Rugs here do get dusty, but giving them a good beating from time to time is quite therapeutic! The Wednesday market in Baza usually has stalls selling a good range of fabrics, cushions covers etc.
Many caves are painted white inside, but I've seen some where the owners have been a bit bolder and gone for something more colourful, and it can look great! When I redecorate I'm definitely going to be more adventurous.

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by PEDRO JAMES Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:57 pm

As members Turner and Miron have pointed take a trip to the Alpujarras before you part with your money..Some really fab stuff for cave houses and for decor, the old morrocan part of central Granada city..Aladdins cave. Smile Smile Smile Best to catch the bus down town as nightmare for parking sometimes if you don,t know way around.Good luck
PEDRO JAMES
PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Post by La Mancha Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:00 pm

Annie's market stall is definitely worth a look. If she doesn't have what you want she can often get it. She does Benamaurel market on a Sunday not sure if she does Cullar on a Monday though.

Also Nijar is worth a visit. This is where Kate from Cueva Pedro moved to. The main street has many, many little artisan shops and you can combine a visit to there with a trip to the seaside.
La Mancha
La Mancha

http://www.cuevademama.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariposa Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:43 am

Welcome Carol!

If you want to use coloured paint in your cave, your choice, many do and it looks fab! Just watch the type of paint you use, if you decide to use colour in the cave rooms - best to get the right breathable paint and tint it - lots of fun, but mix enough to have some touch up later, just in case! If you find a coloured paint you like, make sure that is breathable.

As everyone has said above, lots of places to get furnishings, rugs, voiles etc... here. Being in Cullar, you shouldn't get as much dust as some of us campo dwellers can get!

Good luck with it all and I hope it all goes smoothly for you both!

Caroline

Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum