The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

ARRIVING SOON!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ARRIVING SOON!

Post by rebecca diba on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:21 pm

Hello,
I have fallen for a cave house in Bacor. I thought I'd choose a cave closer to a bit of night life and closer to Baza but this one just won me over. So anyone know how much a taxi is from Baza to Bacor or if there is a regular bus?

My main concern though, is what I should consider before i sign to buy. I thought I'd ask you expert cavers for some advice?
So, I know there's no water and electric but its possible to have it. Ive been told I can build a couple of terraces  around it as there is not much land around it ( it is a hanging cave with windows on most aspects but little land around it apart from on the roof).

Who gives permission for these terrace extensions and do they insist on certain materials and colours to be used? If you have anyone you can recommend for quotes or advice on plumbing, building, and all things that go with a cave renovation please let me know? I'm in town at the end of July and would like to get some quotes and ideas. A friend in Granada mentioned a man called THE MOLE who's an expert in hollowing out more rooms in caves and making them even more magical, any info on him would be also be great????
I'm new to this and I don't speak Spanish yet either so feel a bit useless!!!.
One more thing, any recommendations for a spanish school or teacher in the area?
Hope to meet you all at some point. Becks cyclops

rebecca diba

Back to top Go down

Re: ARRIVING SOON!

Post by Ken on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:28 pm

Necks, don't sign anything, don't part with any money until you have spoken to a solicitor.

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by pete_l on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:01 pm

First bit of advice: listen to Ken.

The next thing I'd say is don't believe everything you've been told. If the cave doesn't have water or power, you will need to get it in writing that the utilities can be connected: and you should get a firm price for doing the work. Presumably as well as getting the utilities connected, you'll have to "make" a bathroom and kitchen out of a couple of rooms, wire up the whole house (then redecorate afterwards) and get a septic tank installed on your outside land?

Same with building terraces. Basically everything in Spain needs a licence or permission. You can't just go excavating more rooms - you'll have to go to the local town hall (Ayuntamiento) to submit applications and probably plans, too.

It's been my experience in Benamaurel that the town hall's staff architect is very helpful in telling me what's possible, what's allowed and what to change - it's not an adversarial process. However: bear in mind that rules are rules and ultimately it's his responsibility to give approval when he's happy that what you're asking for is safe and legal.

Finally, there are people on this forum who have had their cave houses professionally reformed. Take a look through some of the posts in the technical / DIY sections for ideas and possibly some leads for who to talk to. Hopefully then, when you come over in a few weeks time you can get some experienced tradespeople to see the place and give you their opinions. But don't commit to anything, anything at all, until you've taken advice.

As a passing note, I'm not sure I've ever heard the words night life and Baza mentioned in the same sentence before.  What a Face

P.S. Taxi fares. There's a website here [ http://www.numbeo.com/taxi-fare/city_result.jsp?country=Spain&city=Granada ] where you can enter your proposed journey and get a price. I've no idea how accurate or up to date it is (or even if you could persuade a taxi to take you to Bacor). But the fare come to about €50

pete_l

http://www.pete-lynch.com/la_casa.html

Back to top Go down

Post by panda on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:33 pm

Top tip. No electric , no water.............Walk away.
Theres loads for sale out there connected up already and the HASSLE and EXPENCE you will deffinately have will NOT be worth it.
No matter what "people" have told you.
panda

Back to top Go down

Property Location

Post by Ponderosa on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:05 pm

Ponderosa

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Sharp on Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:33 pm

As Panda said,no water,no electric walk away.Very good advice.There are many good buys out there that will make you happy with a lot less hassle.

Ian Sharp

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:55 pm

There is lots of places to go for a good night out in Baza, loads of cool bars. Go exploring down the side streets and be prepared to be friendly with the locals. It's a great town with plenty of night life!

Our cave has no water or electric yet we love our life here and have no regrets, and it's been worth every second and every experience. But, keep your sensible head on and find out all you can for yourself. Don't take anyone's word for anything. Don't do anything you wouldn't do in the uk, ie do use a solicitor. No idea about cabs from bacor I'm afraid.
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:31 pm

took a friend of ours 5 years to get electric!!

Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post by Blatantadvertising.com on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:39 pm

A friend of ours, several discussions with various authorities and 8 years later still no water!
Blatantadvertising.com

Back to top Go down

Post by miron on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:47 pm

Lots of good advice above - definirely a good idea to go to the town hall and make enquiries. It sounds like you need a translator so maybe best to make an appointment if possible.
As CaveBunny says, it is possible to manage without running water and mains electricity. Water can be delivered, with solar panels to heat it and pv panels and/or windmill for electricity - there's info elsewhere on this forum. Have a think about what you feel you need!
I assume you were taken to the property by an estate agent? In which case, it might be an idea to get some more factual information from them (tho I'm aware the words 'estate agent' and 'factual' don't go very well together!)
Have a good think about your budget too - it sounds like the renovation work will be costly!
You'll get a range of opinions on the forum as between us we've had different experiences and have bought very different properties - there are no 'right' answers but you need to keep a clear head!
I agree with CaveBunny about Baza - it doesn't compare with for example Granada because it's not as big, but there's plenty of good bars, regular cinema, theatre and music, and lots more!

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Cullis on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:31 pm

A friend near Orce wanted electricity. The nearest pole is 200m or so away, but to install a closer pole and a step-down transformer would cost 20,000€. So he installed solar power.
Tim Cullis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Spanish Recipes