The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

There are too many headings and sub-headings in this forum

+5
Dave
Ponderosa
PEDRO JAMES
miron
jackrabbit
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

There are too many headings and sub-headings in this forum Empty There are too many headings and sub-headings in this forum

Post by jackrabbit Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:42 pm

I can't figure out where to post things if I actually want someone to read them.

Pets needing re-homing, yes there's a heading but you wouldn't look there unless you were actually wanting a pet - posting somewhere more general might catch someone's eye who wasn't really looking.

I have found a great firm in Baza who repair household appliances - you might not need them now but if you saw it you could make a note of their number. I will do a separate post.

jackrabbit

Back to top Go down

There are too many headings and sub-headings in this forum Empty Re: There are too many headings and sub-headings in this forum

Post by miron Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:28 pm

When I log on to the forum I always go to 'view posts since last visit' which brings up everything I've yet to look at. I think the headings and sub-headings have evolved over time......

miron

Back to top Go down

There are too many headings and sub-headings in this forum Empty Re: There are too many headings and sub-headings in this forum

Post by PEDRO JAMES Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:29 pm

Good to know you have found repairer that your happy with..I agree as well sometimes its a nightmare knowing which section is the correct one...I still think the old set up was better..
PEDRO JAMES
PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponderosa Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:44 pm

Speaking for myself the cave forum is the first forum I used in my life and I have found it excellent, there was no one I could ask though Dave did try over the internet but I think I am a little thick like that and through caution to the wind and played around until I could add pictures to my postings and an avatar.  Very Happy 
Ponderosa
Ponderosa

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:20 pm

So did you purposely post in the most inapropriate forum (now moved) for comedy effect?  Wink
Its quite straight forward to post in the correct forum, all you have to do is take a little time to read what other members have posted, as well as the forum rules.  (the bit about filling in your profile) Wink  Laughing
Extra forums have been added over the years, mainly because theyve been requested by regular posters.

Oh, and by the way, if you had looked through older posts or used the search facility, you would have seen numerous threads about appliance repairers in Baza. Ponderosa went to great lengths to give details and even included photographs. (Thanks Peter)

As they say.....You cant please everyone.

Last edited by Dave on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave
Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jackrabbit Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:26 am

Dave wrote:So did you purposely post in the most inapropriate forum (now moved) for comedy effect?  Wink
Its quite straight forward to post in the correct forum, all you have to do is take a little time to read what other members have posted, as well as the forum rules.  (the bit about filling in your profile) Wink  Laughing
Extra forums have been added over the years, mainly because theyve been requested by regular posters.
As they say.....You cant please everyone.
No, I didn't deliberately post "in the most inappropriate forum", I picked the most general as I wanted to reach the largest audience.  When I started the thread I gave it the Title that you have seen and I also filled in the Description as "Discuss", to see what other people thought but for some reason this does not seem to appear in my post ...

I belong to and contribute to at least a dozen forums on different topics, I don't follow all of them on a regular basis but drop in as and when I feel moved to and have done so over a period of many years.  So I am an experienced forum user, but I found this one baffling to know where to post within the nested levels of sub-headings - just my own impression, and I wondered what other users might think.

As for filling in my profile, life is too short to fill in my details in all the places that I go to, sorry.  I did read what others had posted and the heading that I posted to seemed to me to be the most appropriate.

I had wanted to post a plea for a cat to be homed a few days ago but didn't because when I had found the appropriate heading I could see that there was so little interest in it that it would be a waste of time - I like to post to headings that have a good numbers of topics, are up to date and have replies - otherwise, what's the point?

I am not trying to be awkward and am only posting this as I genuinely believe that fewer headings and a simplified structure would be better, others may not agree, but that is my point of view.

jackrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:37 am

I could change all the headings to suit you, so that you dont have to spend too much time looking, but as you say 'lifes to short'  No
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jackrabbit Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:50 am

Dave wrote:I could change all the headings to suit you, so that you dont have to spend too much time looking, but as you say 'lifes to short'  No
No need to do that, Dave, it was just some feedback. If everyone else is happy, that's great. But if I had my way I think I would start by getting rid of all the sub-headings.

jackrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurchio Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:03 pm

Rather like your Computer, the Forum is all directories and files because its full of really useful stuff and local information etc.etc. Also like your Computer, it also has 'search'. It is also NOT as Bitchy, Opinionated or Self Indulgent as a lot of other expat forums you may see on the 'net' and very seldom does a thread get distracted or diverted by a 'regular' keyboard warrior. All in all, I think on the whole everyone else IS happy with this Forum.

As they say, lifes all about options................... not happy, jog on!
Lurchio
Lurchio

Back to top Go down

Post by jackrabbit Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Lurchio wrote:Rather like your Computer, the Forum is all directories and files because its full of really useful stuff and local information etc.etc. Also like your Computer, it also has 'search'. It is also NOT as Bitchy, Opinionated or Self Indulgent as a lot of other expat forums you may see on the 'net' and very seldom does a thread get distracted or diverted by a 'regular' keyboard warrior. All in all, I think on the whole everyone else IS happy with this Forum.

As they say, lifes all about options................... not happy, jog on!
Why the hostility?

jackrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by invicta Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:26 pm

The forum is fine as it is and many of us enjoy reading other peoples posts. if you cant be bothered to take a bit of time and read through the forum why should anyone change things just for you. thats just LAZY. you asked us all to discuss well i agree with Lurchio if you hardly ever post anything what right do you have to complain.
invicta
invicta

Back to top Go down

Post by jackrabbit Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:40 pm

invicta wrote:The forum is fine as it is and many of us enjoy reading other peoples posts. if you cant be bothered to take a bit of time and read through the forum why should anyone change things just for you. thats just LAZY. you asked us all to discuss well i agree with Lurchio if you hardly ever post anything what right do you have to complain.
This seems hostile as well.

The fact that I have not made hundreds of posts is irrelevant. I am not complaining, just expressing a point of view - and if I were to wish to be granted the "right" to complain, how many posts do I have to make first?

BTW. I have been a member of this forum since 2006 when it was hosted on another server.

jackrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by invicta Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:07 pm

Not hostile mate but you asked to discuss and then you get all upset
invicta
invicta

Back to top Go down

Post by Metaldunk Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:36 pm

Most people do what Miron said Mr Rabbit. Simple!

Have a good Easter everybody Very Happy
Metaldunk
Metaldunk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:44 pm

Metaldunk wrote:Most people do what Miron said Mr Rabbit. Simple!

Thats true, and that is why they miss the many previous threads including appliance repairers, (which is what's got Tony's back up) many of these are kindly posted by Peter Goss who even made the effort to take photos of the location.
If anybody would like to put an improved forum layout to me, ill will have a look  it.
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jackrabbit Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:49 pm

invicta wrote:Not hostile mate but you asked to discuss and then you get all upset
I'm not upset, but I do suggest that you read through your post again carefully before deciding that it could not be seen as hostile.

Anyway, I am done with this topic.  All those who have responded disagree with me - fine; but as someone who worked in IT for 35 years it is my opinion and experience that too much "granularity" (splitting subjects down it sub-divisions) in a directory structure leads to confusion, I have had to dig users out of this situation many times.

jackrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by jackrabbit Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Dave wrote:
Metaldunk wrote:Most people do what Miron said Mr Rabbit. Simple!

Thats true, and that is why they miss the many previous threads including appliance repairers, (which is what's got Tony's back up) many of these are kindly posted by Peter Goss who even made the effort to take photos of the location.
If anybody would like to put an improved forum layout to me, ill will have a look  it.
Code:
Sticky:
Recommended Repairers

by Dave in DIY, Tools, Techniques, Materials and ECO Info
Very intuitive ...

jackrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by PEDRO JAMES Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:06 pm

Now now boys n girls..Put the handbags down...Deary deary me whatever next..I,ve just found another repairer that does the stick dance while they repair TV,S  lol! lol! lol! lol! Sleep Sleep Sleep 
PEDRO JAMES
PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:53 pm

There yer go Dave looks like you might have some professional help!

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by jackrabbit Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:22 am

Dave, you are doing a grand job as Admin of this forum - it is a thankless task. Thank you for putting so much time and effort into this valuable resource. It is made more difficult due to the social networking nature of the forum. You have the support or your core users for which you can be proud.

jackrabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:14 am

Thank you, but as ive said before the forum will only ever be as good as the threads and posts from the users. I think that since some social networking sites have become so popular it has actually had a good effect on all forums. I also believe the content of the forum is good quality and can be accessed easy in years to come, unlike footbook etc where after a few days it drops of the page into a dark hole. (No search facility there)
Now thats something to discuss......... Wink
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Metaldunk Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:42 am

Hey Dave, that old side bar was a good one for current topics. Can that be brought back, or what it a technical gremlin thing?
Metaldunk
Metaldunk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:24 pm

Oh Dunk, I wish you hadn't mentoned that. Laughing It was lost forever some time ago, and a thread started about its disapearance, it then turned into a childish rant between about three people and was deleted. The usual few that only post when they want an argument.  Wink
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Metaldunk Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:40 am

haha no probs  Very Happy 
Metaldunk
Metaldunk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:27 am

Yeah, thats one of the threads I moved to a 'little cyber cupboard'. Its always good to look back occasionaly to remind myself who the d***s were.  Laughing
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next