The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What village would you choose to live in ?

+12
Cave Bunny
Ponderosa
cavern
pete_l
miron
Ken
santamaria
PEDRO JAMES
Blatantadvertising.com
Dave
Tim Cullis
Him & Her
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What village would you choose to live in ? Empty What village would you choose to live in ?

Post by Him & Her Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:00 pm

Hi, another really big question, if you could choose a village to live in now that you know the area well, which one would it be and why??
Him & Her
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

What village would you choose to live in ? Empty Re: What village would you choose to live in ?

Post by Tim Cullis Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:26 pm

Many on here don't live in villages.

Our priorities (decided before we left the UK) when we came looking for a property was somewhere remote with nice walks/trails, within fairly easy access of a village with a bar.

Although village shops are amazingly well stocked, you still need access to bigger shops and I guess the main shopping towns would be Baza and Huescar.

Tim Cullis
Tim Cullis

Back to top Go down

What village would you choose to live in ? Empty Re: What village would you choose to live in ?

Post by Dave Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:36 am

I would imagine that those that do live in a village are going to name their own. As Tim says, most cave dwellers tend to live on the outskirts of a village, sometimes in a small 'hamlet' or sometimes on there own. There are plenty of villages though around the area and most have the same sort of facllities ie all the small shops cater for everything you need, and of course the friendly bars. However my personal choice, I think would be Orce 1st and Benamaurel 2nd. Its a personal choice, and I would suggest a couple of holiday visits before you decide.
Dave
Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Blatantadvertising.com Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:45 pm

Agree with you Dave, most of us would probably put our village as number one.
For us, of course, El Margen at one by a distance, then Orce, Cullar, and Huescar.
Blatantadvertising.com
Blatantadvertising.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Him & Her Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:06 pm

Dave wrote:I would imagine that those that do live in a village are going to name their own. As Tim says, most cave dwellers tend to live on the outskirts of a village, sometimes in a small 'hamlet' or sometimes on there own. There are plenty of villages though around the area and most have the same sort of facllities ie all the small shops cater for everything you need, and of course the friendly bars. However my personal choice, I think would be Orce 1st and Benamaurel 2nd. Its a personal choice, and I would suggest a couple of holiday visits before you decide.

Hi Dave, could you tell me what puts Orce 1st what does it have over other village and likewise Benamarurel what does it have, ideally I would love as many people to put their village or town or hamlet up as best and why, we would love to hear what people that live in these place to say what's good or bad and why rather than the estate agents or travel books after all you are all living in them, thank so much we really appreciate every bodies input.
Him & Her
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Post by PEDRO JAMES Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:47 pm

Hi there Daiseymay1
We are a working family living in the village of Freila 5 minutes from the lovely lake Negratin..We would not choose another community over this one..
Our reason is living the outdoor life on lakeside beaches for 6 months of the year.Fishing,canoeing,swimming,BBQ,s,camping and the 3 lakeside restaurants for a drink and a tapas on hand..
Freila is the ideal destination for families with children on holiday..But i guess if water and outside entertainment is not important to you then it all sounds duff, boring and odd ball
Bit cold in the winter but nothing that a giant wood burning fire puts right over a glass of wine and smelly yummy queso de Oveja and few olives..
Talking of food its time to start chomping again..
PEDRO JAMES
PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Cullis Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:13 pm

Freila sound nice.

We visited our friend who has a cave near Orce and it was seeing Orce that persuaded us that we should be looking in the 'altiplano' rather than further south or east. We now have a cave 40 minutes west of Orce, but I agree Orce is my favourite. I also like nearby Galera.
Tim Cullis
Tim Cullis

Back to top Go down

Post by Him & Her Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:33 pm

PEDRO JAMES wrote:Hi there Daiseymay1
We are a working family living in the village of Freila 5 minutes from the lovely lake Negratin..We would not choose another community over this one..
Our reason is living the outdoor life on lakeside beaches for 6 months of the year.Fishing,canoeing,swimming,BBQ,s,camping and the 3 lakeside restaurants for a drink and a tapas on hand..
Freila is the ideal destination for families with children on holiday..But i guess if water and outside entertainment is not important to you then it all sounds duff, boring and odd ball
Bit cold in the winter but nothing that a giant wood burning fire puts right over a glass of wine and smelly yummy queso de Oveja and few olives..
 Talking of food its time to start chomping again..

Hi Pedro James, thanks for your reply, Freila is high on our list as a friend has just brought a house in the village and we are keen to check it out along with the lake when we come out in June. What is smelly yummy quest de Oveja ???
Him & Her
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Post by PEDRO JAMES Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:06 pm

Its smelly old sheep's cheese very nice too lol!!! Smile 
PEDRO JAMES
PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Post by santamaria Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi a good question; for myself, No1 – Orce . but this is my local village, so there may be some bias....  Very Happy 

As was said before, I think everyone will vote their village.

location could  be influenced by what you are looking for, isolation, social engagement, to be part of a community, will be a holiday home or somewhere you will live all year round ect. And I agree a few visits testing out locations ect will probably help.

For us we too, looked at Freila  as it was close to the lake but the cave and the location we went for after a number trips, was Fuente Nueva, a hamlet of Orce.

Why is Orce , No 1, you feel part of the community, the village has good facilities for a small village, ie supermarkets, fishmongers, butchers, bank, weekly market, good bars and restaurants,  natural water swimming pool with thermal qualities, (open all year)  a lively all year round cultural program. Various community groups you can join, from a theatre group to the choir. .... but all in all, the shoe fits.
santamaria
santamaria

http://www.cuevasantamaria.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Him & Her Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:02 pm

santamaria wrote:Hi a good question; for myself, No1 – Orce . but this is my local village, so there may be some bias....  Very Happy 

As was said before, I think everyone will vote their village.

location could  be influenced by what you are looking for, isolation, social engagement, to be part of a community, will be a holiday home or somewhere you will live all year round ect. And I agree a few visits testing out locations ect will probably help.

For us we too, looked at Freila  as it was close to the lake but the cave and the location we went for after a number trips, was Fuente Nueva, a hamlet of Orce.

Why is Orce , No 1, you feel part of the community, the village has good facilities for a small village, ie supermarkets, fishmongers, butchers, bank, weekly market, good bars and restaurants,  natural water swimming pool with thermal qualities, (open all year)  a lively all year round cultural program. Various community groups you can join, from a theatre group to the choir. .... but all in all, the shoe fits.

Hi Santamaria,
Thank you for your input, as this is our first visit to the area we have lots to learn and I have to say Orce sounds really lovely, and just the sort of place we would like, we will be looking to buy a home to live full time when we retire and rent out our home in the uk. We do want to be a part of village life and want a village that has a few shops etc for the basics. I think we are going to be spoilt for choice. Thanks again
Him & Her
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:58 am

Don't buy, rent for six months and check it all out.

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by miron Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:44 am

Definitely the best idea, Ken! All the towns and villages here have got things going for them and all are  different from each other. But, there's not so many of them that in 3-6 months you couldn't get round them all, talk to a few residents, go to a few fiestas, check out their shops and services, surrounding landscapes, local climate etc etc. I love living in Los Olivos, but I think Orce is lovely too, and would be quite happy to live near Huescar (tho it's a tad cooler there!)..... there's plenty of choice!

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by pete_l Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:26 pm

Ken wrote:Don't buy, rent for six months and check it all out.
If you do ever think of buying a place have a read of this, first:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Briefly: if you buy a property for less than what it is worth, you can be charged 7% of the difference between the price you paid for the property and the figure that the property has been officially valued at.

pete_l

http://www.pete-lynch.com/la_casa.html

Back to top Go down

Post by cavern Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:13 pm

pete_l wrote:

Briefly: if you buy a property for less than what it is worth, you can be charged 7% of the difference between the price you paid for the property and the figure that the property has been officially valued at.

We were warned about this too Pete and our lawyer advised us to take photographs of all the renovation that needed doing to prove the house wasn't worth up to top value , luckily it never came to it and not sure the photos would have helped in an argument with the taxman but might as well do it anyway.
cavern
cavern

http://www.piablepebble.wix.com/cuevas-bazavista

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Cullis Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:35 pm

pete_l wrote:...if you buy a property for less than what it is worth...
We had the chance of having the purchase price declared at a much lower level and paying the different in 'black money' to avoid the 7% tax.

But we didn't want to do this as firstly I get the feeling that eventually this practice will be properly outlawed and enforced, and secondly that prices are likely to substantially rise from what now must be pretty near rock bottom. So if both these things came about, if we were to sell, we'd get caught on a massive calculated profit at the much higher rate (21%) of capital gains tax.

I don't have a great deal of sympathy for the state of Spanish government finances when they turn a blind eye to lawyers helping defaud the state of properly due taxes.
Tim Cullis
Tim Cullis

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponderosa Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:26 pm

Famous last words “We would never let our place” Can take you 5 years to get people out and you keep the supplies in your name you will be responsible for all the bills and you cannot cut the supplies off.

There are so many things in law loaded against a land lawed in Spanish law, we would not be looking for that trouble. I had a block of four flats in England and had everything happen including my ID and trying to sell the property.
Ponderosa
Ponderosa

Back to top Go down

Post by Him & Her Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:57 pm

miron wrote:Definitely the best idea, Ken! All the towns and villages here have got things going for them and all are  different from each other. But, there's not so many of them that in 3-6 months you couldn't get round them all, talk to a few residents, go to a few fiestas, check out their shops and services, surrounding landscapes, local climate etc etc. I love living in Los Olivos, but I think Orce is lovely too, and would be quite happy to live near Huescar (tho it's a tad cooler there!)..... there's plenty of choice!

Hi miron, thanks for your good advice, I do wonder how easy it is to rent in the area whilst looking at property to buy, we have 2small dogs! Also you say Huescar is cooler , now which area' s are the warmest ? Although we think we would prefer to live in the country to the coast we still we like warmer rather than cooler is there really much differance in this area ??
Him & Her
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Post by Him & Her Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:05 pm

pete_l wrote:

Briefly: if you buy a property for less than what it is worth, you can be charged 7% of the difference between the price you paid for the p
roperty and the figure that the property has been officially valued at

Hi Pete, thank you for your advice, you seem to be the man who knows a lot. We have read your website very interesting and enjoyable (mostly except the break in etc!) how will we know we are paying less than its worth or do you mean like Tom said where you are offered the chance to pay some cash off record ? We really wouldn't want to start our new life off like that. And I guess taking lots of photos as suggested would be a good insurance.
Him & Her
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Post by miron Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:30 pm

Renting should be easy, with or without pets. The estate agents' windows usually have places to rent and forum members I'm sure will have info about places too.
The whole of Altiplano of Granada has a continental climate with hot, dry summers and cold winters. Worth bearing in mind if you prefer a milder climate! Huescar is a bit higher than some villages so often feels a bit cooler. Generally the nights in summer are cool, which is lovely and a big contrast to the coast where summer nights can get sweaty! Sunny winter days can be pleasantly warm, but there's often a chilly wind. Personally I enjoy the contrast in the climate and if you are doing physical work outside (chopping wood, digging the garden etc) you don't feel the cold. Not having a car and walking a lot helps too and keeps us fit!
Worth giving the climate some consideration - I do know people who might have chosen differently if they had realised before buying what the weather was like!

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by Blatantadvertising.com Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:30 pm

How about this for top ten tips, think they have been reading Kens posts.

Blatantadvertising.com
Blatantadvertising.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Him & Her Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:59 pm

miron wrote:Renting should be easy, with or without pets. The estate agents' windows usually have places to rent and forum members I'm sure will have info about places too.
The whole of Altiplano of Granada has a continental climate with hot, dry summers and cold winters. Worth bearing in mind if you prefer a milder climate! Huescar is a bit higher than some villages so often feels a bit cooler. Generally the nights in summer are cool, which is lovely and a big contrast to the coast where summer nights can get sweaty! Sunny winter days can be pleasantly warm, but there's often a chilly wind. Personally I enjoy the contrast in the climate and if you are doing physical work outside (chopping wood, digging the garden etc) you don't feel the cold. Not having a car and walking a lot helps too and keeps us fit!
Worth giving the climate some consideration - I do know people who might have chosen differently if they had realised before buying what the weather was like!

We don't mind a cold winter as long as we have had a decent summer and you know what the weather can be like here, raining off BBQ and get together days out etc etc
We both love the countryside and are aware it's gets cold but I understand it's a dry cold rather than the damp which as we get older will affect us.
Him & Her
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:36 pm

You are right, it is a dry cold in winter, although the winds can be bitter icy! But after a long hot summer, the winter is a very welcome change. Springtime is spectacular here, albeit short, Autumn is gone in a blink. If you are outdoorsey people this is a wonderful place to be. Although Dorking isn't too bad either Smile
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Blatantadvertising.com Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:18 pm

It is a rare happening here 'bbq rained off'.
Blatantadvertising.com
Blatantadvertising.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Him & Her Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:24 pm

Cave Bunny wrote:You are right, it is a dry cold in winter, although the winds can be bitter icy!  But after a long hot summer, the winter is a very welcome change.  Springtime is spectacular here, albeit short, Autumn is gone in a blink.  If you are outdoorsey people this is a wonderful place to be.  Although Dorking isn't too bad either Smile

Thanks for that cave bunny we are outdoorsy and your post is just what we wanted to hear. Do you know Dorking well?
Him & Her
Him & Her

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next