The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

carbon monoxide

View previous topic View next topic Go down

carbon monoxide

Post by Ponderosa on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:31 pm

http://www.thinkspain.com/news-spain/23803/young-couple-dies-of-carbon-monoxide-inhalation-from-gas-heater




Young couple dies of carbon monoxide inhalation from gas heater
By: thinkSPAIN , Sunday, January 19, 2014



A YOUNG couple has died from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a gas heater, sparking warnings from health authorities about not leaving stoves on when retiring to bed.

María Jesús Lloret, 25 and Óscar López, 21 were staying overnight in a farmhouse just outside Sueca (Valencia province) on Friday and had left the heater on while they were asleep.

They were found by María Jesús's father, who said the stove was still on the next morning.

The country house, or casita, a farm building in the L'Heretat area used as a weekend and summer retreat, belonged to the young woman's parents.

Neither of the victims' families knew they had planned to spend the night in the farmhouse.

Post mortem examinations will be carried out on both the deceased, although authorities are not treating their deaths as suspicious.

A tragically common occurrence at this time of year, carbon monoxide poisoning through gas inhalation, normally arising through defective heaters, results in a slow but painless death.

This usually starts with feeling drowsy and sometimes headachey, and the victim then falls asleep and does not wake up.

All gas installations must be serviced every five years and any smells of gas – which can resemble the scent of pickled onions – should be immediately reported.

Carbon monoxide detectors can be purchased cheaply for homes and a light flashes red when there is a gas leak.
avatar
Ponderosa

Posts : 1526
Join date : 2010-03-20
Age : 87
Location : Cantarranas near Baza. Granada Spain

Back to top Go down

Re: carbon monoxide

Post by pete_l on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:07 pm

A timely warning.
Be aware that the ThinkSpain article doesn't distinguish between "gas" and Carbon Monoxide (CO).
While "gas" may have a smell - Carbon Monoxide is both odourless and colourless. Further, it is not detected by smoke alarms and it is not necessary to have a gas leak for it to be produced.

Seriously. If you use gas or any sort of flame for cooking, heating (incl. wood burners) or hot water make a Carbon Monoxide alarm a top priority. They look like battery operated smoke alarms and are less than €20 (depending where you shop).
It's also worth noting that the detector in them has a finite life. Mine says it should be changed after 5 years and it should also be checked by pressing the Test button every few months to make sure the battery still has enough charge in it.

pete_l

Posts : 712
Join date : 2010-03-21
Location : Cuevas del Negro

http://www.pete-lynch.com/la_casa.html

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Spanish Recipes