The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Human consumption

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Human consumption

Post by miron on Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:46 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Interesting to watch, the antithesis to life in rural Spain......

miron

Back to top Go down

Re: Human consumption

Post by Gobiker56 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:30 am

What can you do - there are 7 billion people on the planet, they all have to eat, most of them at an affordable price. Factory farming is not nice, but what else can we do?. I hate it, but I like my meat. I would like to keep chickens or pigs, but I have no idea how, then they still have to be killed. It would be cruel indeed for us to try and kill our own animals, probably cause even more suffering. When the scientists come up with something that looks and tastes like meat then I'll have a re-think. Quorn, yuk! and expensive.
Gobiker56

http://cuevaleon.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by miron on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:40 am

There 's a few things - tho it may just be tinkering at the edges - eat less meat, buy free-range or welfare-farmed if you can afford it (tends to taste better), buy locally-produced meat, campaign for better conditions for factory farms....

miron

Back to top Go down

Post by pete_l on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:47 am

Gobiker56 wrote:What can you do - there are 7 billion people on the planet, they all have to eat, most of them at an affordable price. Factory farming is not nice, but what else can we do?.
Yes, that's the basic problem. Although factory farming is not good for the animals, in terms of simple efficiency: lowest energy use and lowest cost it beats "green" methods and ones that put the animals' welfare at a proirity.

Same goes for mechanically recovered meat. A lot of people turn their noses up at the thought. But if it means that (say) 10% more protein is got off a carcass, that would otherwise be wasted, that either feeds 10% more people or means 10% fewer animals have to be reared.
Unfortunately that's the conflict: do we impose our higher cost, westernised standards on poor countries and make meat too expensive for people?
Tricky one.

pete_l

http://www.pete-lynch.com/la_casa.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Spanish Recipes