The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Why do SOME English run businesses fail in Spain and why are SOME a success?

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Why do SOME English run businesses fail in Spain and why are SOME a success?

Post by Dave on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:36 am

Tupperware party anyone? Laughing

Dave
Admin

http://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do SOME English run businesses fail in Spain and why are SOME a success?

Post by PEDRO JAMES on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:43 am

Again well written IMAGEMAKER..Exactly what i keep saying and proves that i am not anti-British....But the British have a serious attitude problem...We have had what we thought were good British friends around for BBQ , food ,etc, and most turned out to be bags of s--t....
Again we chopped them out of the woodwork and feel great about it ....Just look at some of them now and where they went..

PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:45 am

Hang on, Pedro, youve never invited me to your BBQ. Is that telling me something? lol!

Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PEDRO JAMES on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:45 am

DAVE i can think of a big box to put some people in but sorry it would not be from tupperware..

PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Post by Imagemaker on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:46 am

lol!

Imagemaker

Back to top Go down

Post by PEDRO JAMES on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:47 am

I,m just testing you out to see if your our friend... lol! lol! lol! lol!
PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Post by PEDRO JAMES on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:59 am

We think that we ought to save the names of some of these forum members..MAYBE AND ONLY JUST MAYBE THERE ARE SOME NICE BRITISH that live outside the "bubble"
PEDRO THE BLAGGER SAYS...we have 16 yaer old van,we have 3 old hens,we have grubby cat,we have volcanic dust that blows in from time to time,we have one of the biggest swimming pools in Spain and we named it LAKE NEGRATIN after my uncle paco....and even more to the point PEDRO SAYS " I have a wife that gives me ear ache on a regular basis" lol! lol! lol!
PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Post by cavern on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:09 am

"we have one of the biggest swimming pools in Spain and we named it LAKE NEGRATIN after my uncle paco."[/quote]

lol! lol! lol! Oh there ya go again showing off Rolling Eyes
cavern

http://www.piablepebble.wix.com/cuevas-bazavista

Back to top Go down

Post by PEDRO JAMES on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:23 am

sorry i forgot myself and showed true colour...suppose i better tell all the truth about the price...it only cost me 7,000,000 euros including the fish. Very Happy Very Happy Not sure what to do with the rest of my money..thought i might help DAVE out he looks as if he needs a meal and new van.. Smile Smile Smile ....I,m off to have a cuppa PG TIPS and get on with some damn work Cool Cool

Last edited by PEDRO JAMES on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Post by Imagemaker on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:24 am

Pedro, you have the potential to be my type of friend......and if your wife gives you regular ear ache, well, you probably ask for it anyway (like most men)!

Sue

flower
Imagemaker

Back to top Go down

Hi PEDRO JAMES

Post by Ponderosa on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:01 pm

PEDRO JAMES wrote: PEDRO SAYS " I have a wife that gives me ear ache on a regular basis" lol! lol! lol!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Ponderosa on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ponderosa

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:46 pm

Linky no worky Peter Wink

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way when you judge him, you will be a mile away, and have his shoes...

Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PEDRO JAMES on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:44 pm

linky really no worky Dave Wink
PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Post by Imagemaker on Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Linky winky weally, weally no worky Dave bounce
Imagemaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie on Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:36 pm

Linky winky weally, weally no worky Davey wavey drunken
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie on Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:37 pm

I think it must be the weather myselfy welfy... confused
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:47 pm

lol! Crackers, the lot of ya! lol!

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way when you judge him, you will be a mile away, and have his shoes...

Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ladyinred on Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:49 pm

Of course a sucessful business here depends on a whole variety of factors mentioned here but the one thing that strikes me most about the british is that they all want various businesses to start up and provide them with the things they miss or a service they can comprehend if they cant be bothered to learn spanish etc yet most of those starting up,however good, end up failing through lack of support from the very people who moan they cant get this and cant get that etc. The main difficulty is pricing , to make a living you cant afford to be too cheap but you cant charge silly prices either as there is not much money around. We have been ripped off in some areas and also had good service at a fair price too. The one that springs most immediately to mind is the excellent lunch/ dinners at cueva pedro where we go regularly. Another post mentioned a rip off 15 euro sunday lunch and I just hope the writer was not referring to cueva pedro as nothing could be further from the truth. There you get at least 3 choices for each of the 3 courses and for 15 euros all are absolutely delicious , home cooked to perfection and served with the utmost friendliness and professionalism not to mention all the beer, wine and soft drinks are thrown in. If you think thats a rip off then I guess your idea of eating out is a kebab or a bag of chips after the pub,maybe a real cheap menu del dia, that not a lot of anything let alone effort has gone into. ( no the chinese buffet does not count for comparison as the chinese have special deals with the spanish gov. so their overheads are practically zero, besides which most of the food is pre prepared and or frozen cheap jack stuff) I am personally bored of the samey menus in spanish restaurants where you end up paying about 60 euros a couple for a meat and chips meal and a bottle of wine with the same starters and sweets as offered at most of the other places in the area. SO GOOD ON YER PEDRO GIRLS whenevr I want to book a table anytime , not just sunday I can guarantee that I can come along with a few friends and we can eat whatever we fancy and never be disappointed! As for the conversation of other guests, all I can say is dont eavesdrop ! On reflection I have never met anyone while dining there, who have not been really lovely people and you generally end up speaking to the people on the next table anyway
The only snag about cueva pedro is its always booked up fast so you need to book early .( does that not speak for itself!!!!?)They can always be depended on to deliver not only ace english food but also an eclectic mix of mediterranean and international dishes to suit all tastes. LOng may you contine to deliver!!!!
ladyinred

Back to top Go down

Post by cavern on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:33 pm

I am not sure that other post was referring to Cueva Pedro, if it was I am guessing he has never been there. I agree with every word you say about it ladyinred, it may seem a lot to pay on paper but oh boy you sure get your monies worth . Everything the service, food , atmosphere is outstanding. If you paid for everything individually elsewhere you could more than likely double the cost and it would only be half the quality.
cavern

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:18 pm

PEDRO JAMES wrote:We are always talking and hope that one day a working british family will open up a bar where they smile,make you feel welcome on each visit,sensible price,mixture of good music instead of little willy wont go home or the bloody birdie song...how about a sunday roast at a good price and not your normal 15 euro special roast and your special offer on the wine is only 2 or 3 euros a glass ....

No mention of Cueva Pedro at all. In fact it seems to be refering to some 'English run Bars.'
Im sure Pedro will confirm.........
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PEDRO JAMES on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:06 am

No we have never been to Cueva Pedro but may like to try it in the future.I actually meant a small bar that opened in Freila one time, and when the campsite was English run.But I must say once again,lots of things flop due to personality (or lack of it)the campsite is still a flop and now Spanish run!!!!
PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Post by ladyinred on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:26 pm

Thanks chaps glad to have cleared that one up! I never tried the campsite food.

Another closure that just came to mind was bar martinez on main road near cullar. They did a good sunday lunch before they
closed . They seemed to be doing fine but I heard the spanish owners got greedy over the rent rather than the business failed? Not the first time I have heard that , so just another obstacle even if you make your business work!
ladyinred

Back to top Go down

Post by collado on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:36 pm

The problem with most Brits is they are always going to open the best this and the best that, stay open longer but they never seem to be content and never seem to last. The other problem is that the Brits never seem to support their own, and would much sooner see them fail. What a shame.

collado

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:02 pm

collado wrote: The other problem is that the Brits never seem to support their own, and would much sooner see them fail. What a shame.
No, I dont agree entirely witht that, but a lot of Brits have come out here to live the Spanish life, and thats what they want. Very few Brit businesses cater for the Spanish, unlike yourselves.
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PEDRO JAMES on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:17 pm

The proof of the pudding is in the eating....although i am a little concerned about the statement by LADYINRED about the chinese having a special deal with the government....can you give us a little more information on that one...does LADYINRED have information from the HACIENDA OR OTHER ESTABLISHMENT to confirm this....looking forward to the reply on this one and others taking an interest
PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Post by PEDRO JAMES on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Also i think it is a little below the belt with ref to the chinese restaurant and the frozen cheap Jack stuff or maybe processed s-it...you can eat as healthy,if not healthier than many of the Spanish outlets in the area if you want....when we have been into the chinese restaurant you can eat as much fresh fish,prawns,shell fish,meat,veg,fruit etc etc without eating the greasy muck stuff...Somebody let me know please if there is a restaurant out there that can give you the eat as much as you want of fresh prawns,fish etc for 1 cent less than 10 euros and the occasional bottle of wine to take away when you leave..
PEDRO JAMES

Back to top Go down

Post by cavern on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:03 am

PEDRO JAMES wrote:The proof of the pudding is in the eating....although i am a little concerned about the statement by LADYINRED about the chinese having a special deal with the government....can you give us a little more information on that one...does LADYINRED have information from the HACIENDA OR OTHER ESTABLISHMENT to confirm this....looking forward to the reply on this one and others taking an interest

Firstly totally agree with you that Chinese restaurants are good value and the majority of the food is fresh.

Also have to agree with ladyinred that there is a special deal with the Government when it comes to all the Chinese establishments in Spain and Portugal. Spain does have to kiss butt when it comes to the Chinese government , they are probably the most successful European countries when it comes to financial deals with the Chinese. The Chinese own mucho amount of Spanish bonds. That is when I hear people on this forum saying the UK is fed up of helping Spain, yeah think twice, it is peanuts compared to the Chinese. It isn't just the bonds though there are billions relying on exports and them opening industries here.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Chinese establishments here are operated on a communists basis and the profits go straight back to the Chinese Government, they are not owned by individuals.Think about all those shops buying in bulk, sort of explains why things are so cheap. There has been rumours that the staff of the restaurants/shops are badly treated but I think that is anti communists propaganda, although there are some countries that won't allow Chinese businesses because of them not reaching the standards of the workers rights policies in their countries, such as Sweden. The Chinese government look after all their living arrangements etc. There are thousands of Chinese wanting to learn languages to work somewhere in Europe or America, so it can't be all bad . In Portugal I know the shops are allowed a tax free period , when times up they simply transfer the shop into another persons name. Wherever that is true in Spain I haven't found it publish anywhere but I wouldn't be at all surprised. In Portugal the Chinese can open a shop in days and get very little interference. The Brits it takes months and they have health and safety constantly on their backs. So I think it is safe to say there are " special deals " will we find out about them, doubt it, as it will make a lot of struggling shop keepers here angry, but if it keeps the Spanish economy afloat should we be arguing ?

P.S You don't get all that political, is it morally right crap, if you eat at Cueva Pedro Laughing
cavern

Back to top Go down

Post by musketeera on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:30 am

I'm not sure if as Cavern said the establishments here are owned by the Chinese government it wouldn't surprise me - There certainly is a deal with the Spanish government that was set up years ago to allow cheap goods from China & Taiwan into the country. They should re- think the Taiwanese connection as factories there often produce everyday products that 'front' a much darker line, I went to a teddy bear factory that were very proud of it's rocket manufacturing for the USA which was an eye opener.
I have been to government owned factories which are safe & clean for the workers and heavily armed, staff in 2005 (the last time I was there)were paid 8.20 € per week, 'lived in' to the point where they were only allowed out one day per month to visit their family and most of them slept on the floor of their manufacturing room uless they were part of the management - They were allowed to sleep in the show room on the highest floor of the building.
Family owned factories were certainly poorer, the staff lived in fear of being raided by Police for no particular reason but they were much happier and their production levels far exceeded the government run factories but they couldn't ask the same price for their products because the export conditions set by the government would tax them to the hilt.

The Swedes may have the right idea they would swarm into the Hong Kong trade fair to order their containers of goods - A famous Swedish store as always a smart company would approach a factory set in place what they expected in the way of goods and working practice, send one of their Asian negotiators to check on the factory after a couple of weeks and then roll with the containers not checking the factory again until the following year so when we visited the factories at the start of their contract the staff would be in tip top condition smartly dressed and proud of their private cubicle they could call home on the penultimate floor of the factory.
If we went halfway through the year their conditions would have reverted to normal until they received notice of the next Swedish visit, these were always government factories.

The one thing I always disliked about working in China was the lack of social interaction or levity in any dealings (and the food) but then again there's not much to laugh about because the ordinary Chinese worker is damned either way.
musketeera

http://www.ruralpropertydirect.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ladyinred on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:59 am

your answer is basicaally on caverns page . It came to light when someone was on a business start up, Personally it all looks a bit dodgy to me that those restaurants survive let alone make a profit on as little as 4 people a day even if the gov was to pay all their rent and rates,,,cant see endesa waving the bill for lighting and air con can you? The mind could dream up all sorts of things . Take for example a friend who ran a bar/cafe on the coast struggling to compete with many such establishments despite offering a good service , was approached by the money launderers to work with them in exchange for more than he could hope to earn in his bar. He eventually closed shop, not wanting to get into that sort of thing. Another point from his story, as we seem to be getting away from the point of this thread........ he was sick of going to cash and carry and paying a much higher figure than his spanish counterparts ( would a wholesaler get away with that in the uk?)
With stuff like that to contend with , is it any wonder that life in business is tough, quite something to survive let alone make a profit.
ladyinred

Back to top Go down

Post by cavern on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:28 am

[quote="ladyinred"]Take for example a friend who ran a bar/cafe on the coast struggling to compete with many such establishments despite offering a good service , was approached by the money launderers to work with them in exchange for more than he could hope to earn in his bar.

Funny you should say that ladyinred, one day when we were waiting to pick up a takaway, from the bigger of the 2 , we noticed the till was absolutely stuffed with cash . It was still early and only 2 other people eating there, thought it was strange at the time .

Musketeera Gee I didn't realise the wages were that bad, I have often wondered why you don't really see the Chinese out and about more here though, They are probably on a better deal here than back home but doubt if they have any spare to socialise here.
cavern

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Spanish Recipes