The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Car Insurance a follow on !!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Car Insurance a follow on !!

Post by Boothjendar on Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:09 pm

Thanks to La pointing out a hither unheard of clause, I got in touch with my Insurance Company and below is their reply.

Thank you for your e-mail.

Yes, you are correct there is a law in spain that 2 months written notification must be given prior to the renewal date if you do not wish to renew the policy ( same law applies to the insured and the insurance company ).

You can send an e-mail quoting the policy number and stating that you do not wish to reinsure the vehicle. If later you decide that you wish to continue with the insurance we can always reinstate the policy.

Just a note for you – if the vehicle remains in your name then you are obliged by Spanish law to maintain at least the minimum third party insurance. However, if you are selling the vehicle or scrapping it then simply make sure that it is officially taken out of your name. the only reason for mentioning this is that the government have given new powers to the local authorities to track down and fine vehicles that are uninsured even if they are kept off the public road. We have had several cases where clients have had the vehicles in their private garages on blocks while being repaired but had the vehicles impounded and very large fines levied against them.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Philip rayner
Boothjendar

Back to top Go down

Re: Car Insurance a follow on !!

Post by Cavernícola on Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:06 pm

This make it very difficult to shop around for an alternative quote when they do not seem to send out renewal notices until about 3 weeks before the due date.

I am currently with linea directa and it is due for renewal on 5th October and despite contacting them fora renewal cost they still have not replied.

I have several quotes which are quite favourable but this law makes them worthless I think, as I am now within my 2 months.

I will update the quotes and companies when I recieve my renewal and finalise the outcome.
Cavernícola

Back to top Go down

Post by space man on Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:45 pm

This makes utter crap of all this, I was notified today by Ibex the insurance on my wifes Toyota expires TOMORROW. They hadn't even noted she was returning to the UK permanently 3 months ago.

space man

Back to top Go down

Post by Cavernícola on Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:20 pm

UPDATE......

Still no renewal from Linea Directa so had to call them, stated I had to pay 503 euros as last year was an introductory offer. I had a quote from Bill Bliss at Beneficial Insurance of 318 plus 15 to protect NCB.
linea directa stated that was not possible and said the best they could do was 425. I persisted about the difference and that I had also had a quote for 375 from The Insurance Company.net
They then mentioned the 2 month law but did not actually state they would invoke it.
About an hour later they called back and offered me 350.86 euros. So to aleviate the 2 month rule I decided to stay with them this year.
I then spoke with Bill Bliss again & what a gent he is, I explained what had taken place 7 he said that yes it is still law but not many companies use it now and says that it actually worrks both ways, if the company wish to enforce it then they should supply a renewal 2 months early.
Anyway he is going to contact me in 9 months time so i can contact linea directa and cancel in time.
Amazing a saving of 152 euros.......
Cavernícola

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Spanish Recipes