The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Introduction

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Introduction

Post by bergspyder on Fri May 07, 2010 10:27 pm

I'm in process of buying a little cave in Cuevas del Campo, 20k or so from Baza, for retirement end of this year

Having left the UK (Plymouth; yet another Devonian?) 45 years ago, I've lived & worked in S.France for the last 20 years so English & French good but not one word of Spanish. So I'm hoping to get in contact with, & get some pointers from, forum members

In meantime, hello to all

John Bud & Max+

bergspyder

Back to top Go down

Re: Introduction

Post by Dave on Fri May 07, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum. Its like the the Devon escape committee here! Im sure some of our lingo experts will be along to welcome you soon. sunny

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way when you judge him, you will be a mile away, and have his shoes...

Dave
Admin

http://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bergspyder on Fri May 07, 2010 11:50 pm

Well, one of the questions I'm hoping to ask is how to get a fast internet connection into a cave in middle of nowhere. Judging by speed of your response, you're just the guy who might know........ Seriously, thanks & hope we'll meet one day+

bergspyder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat May 08, 2010 12:01 am

Steve from Sierra Satallites is your man, he posts in the Tv Satellite forum below, and in fact there are some details there about broadband I think. There are various methods but depending on the location some are better than others. Steve knows the area so he'll advise you which system will be best for you.
Post your questions there and he'll answer them for you.
sunny

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way when you judge him, you will be a mile away, and have his shoes...

Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat May 08, 2010 12:31 pm

Here you are, ive found the link for you...............
Clicky

Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Taught2BCautious on Sat May 08, 2010 12:33 pm

Hi John,

I have had a Cave House in Cuevas del Campo since 2006, and I believe there are a few French-speakers in the town. Last year, my two daughters got talking to some of the local kids, in French (as they don't speak much Spanish), so I guess they must teach a little in the local school!

We also met a French couple and their kids at the pool, and I know that there are also Swedish and German families in the town.

If your Cave is anywhere near telephone landline services, you may be able to get a landline installed - otherwise, you should be able to get the Iberbanda Radio (WiMax) service for phone and up to 512Kbps Broadband.

Mobile and GRPS coverage is not too bad in the town itself, but it might be a good idea to get a Movistar SIM Card for local calls.

There's a Telephonica showroom in Baza - as you head out of Baza towards the A92N (past Lidl and the Hospital) on the right hand side of the road. Someone there speaks a little English, and should be able to help.

Regards,
Alan.

Taught2BCautious

http://www.bisobodega.com

Back to top Go down

Post by La Mancha on Sat May 08, 2010 1:17 pm

John, Anyone over the age of 35 will have been taught French at school rather than English. During Franco's time French was the second language taught in schools so you may find it easier to find someone that understands French than you think.
BTW Welcome to the forum.
La Mancha

http://www.cuevademama.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by bergspyder on Sat May 08, 2010 7:58 pm

My query now sent to Sierra Satellites
Thanks, Dave

Devon.Dave wrote:Here you are, ive found the link for you...............
Clicky

bergspyder

Back to top Go down

Post by bergspyder on Sat May 08, 2010 8:15 pm

Thanks Alan,

I was in Cuevas del Campo but only for for a few hours to visit cave -- on which I've now signed contract & paid deposit -- so your remarks very helpful

Although I can't explain where "my" cave is (except by GPS co-ordinates), I can confirm there are no phone lines nearby so it will need to be WLAN of some sort but I was hoping for better than 512Kps. I will do as you say when I move in: Visit Telephonica

Hope we can meet up sometime

John +

Taught2BCautious wrote:Hi John,

I have had a Cave House in Cuevas del Campo since 2006, and I believe there are a few French-speakers in the town. Last year, my two daughters got talking to some of the local kids, in French (as they don't speak much Spanish), so I guess they must teach a little in the local school!

We also met a French couple and their kids at the pool, and I know that there are also Swedish and German families in the town.

If your Cave is anywhere near telephone landline services, you may be able to get a landline installed - otherwise, you should be able to get the Iberbanda Radio (WiMax) service for phone and up to 512Kbps Broadband.

Mobile and GRPS coverage is not too bad in the town itself, but it might be a good idea to get a Movistar SIM Card for local calls.

There's a Telephonica showroom in Baza - as you head out of Baza towards the A92N (past Lidl and the Hospital) on the right hand side of the road. Someone there speaks a little English, and should be able to help.

Regards,
Alan.

bergspyder

Back to top Go down

Post by bergspyder on Sat May 08, 2010 8:18 pm

Many thanks for this
John+

La Mancha wrote:John, Anyone over the age of 35 will have been taught French at school rather than English. During Franco's time French was the second language taught in schools so you may find it easier to find someone that understands French than you think.
BTW Welcome to the forum.

bergspyder

Back to top Go down

Post by flojo on Sat May 08, 2010 8:54 pm

Welcome to the forum. You can also have BT or Telefonica connection if you are near a telephone post.
flojo

Back to top Go down

Post by sierra_satellites on Mon May 10, 2010 11:41 am

Many thanks for the recommendation Dave. I have arranged to visit the cave for a survey. Anyone with questions or problems (TV & internet only :-) ) is welcome to contact me. I don't charge for advice.
sierra_satellites

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 13, 2010 12:16 pm

Hiya!

Back to top Go down

Post by bergspyder on Thu May 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Dee Alan wrote:Hiya!

Funny, but I thought I'd seen that face somewhere before on this forum
Thanks
Looking forward to getting down there & doing whatever it is troglodytes do
John+

bergspyder

Back to top Go down

Post by pete_l on Thu May 13, 2010 11:12 pm

bergspyder wrote:Although I can't explain where "my" cave is (except by GPS co-ordinates)
I found it very helpful to be able toplug my house's GPS coordinates into Google maps. Just go to maps.google.com and in the seach bar, enter your Lat / Long as 37.6 -2.7 (or however accurate you have it) and a lillte point will magically appear in the right place! You don't even need to specify which country or town you're in.
Confession: when I bought my place I had to get the estate agent to drive over to the house with me, as I couldn't remember where it was affraid or how to get there.

pete_l

http://www.pete-lynch.com/la_casa.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Spanish Recipes