The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SAVE ON CAR INSURANCE ETC

+9
la
Dave
Blatantadvertising.com
clifford
Boothjendar
ross
Mariposa
lisa
space man
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

SAVE ON CAR INSURANCE ETC - Page 2 Empty Re: SAVE ON CAR INSURANCE ETC

Post by space man Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:53 pm

I was talking about businesses not bloody cowboys.

space man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:34 pm

Play nicely please! Its a good thread with good advice for everyone. Dont ruin it.

Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by la Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:52 pm

Thanks for insurance info, I will get a quote. Be warned that all Spanish insurance companies require 2 full months notice to cancel. We got caught out when we were insured with Groupama and thought we had cancelled. We renewed with another company and received threats of court action from Groupama as we hadn't given them the correct notice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know of a good, sensibly priced health insurance?

la

Back to top Go down

Post by Boothjendar Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:47 pm

Thanks La,

Could you explain a bit more about your post I'm well aware that Spain has some peculiarities but I was under the impression that insurance policies are designed to run for 12 months and the premium is paid for a full year. I thought then that if it was cancelled mid-term and no other policy taken out we'd be breaking the agreement to insure for the full year. I would expect that if a policy is cancelled there might be some costs that have to be paid for, such as administration, documentation and commission to the agent that arranged it. These costs would have to be covered no matter how long the policy runs. Therefore I thought that if you cancel within 12 months you will be charged on a short period, rather than a pro-rata, basis and you might even get a refund.

Surely if a policy runs for the full period, a renewal notice would be issued which can either be accepted or declined in order to shop around ?

I can't fathom the circumstances which you describe so would be grateful for more info as its certainly something people won't want to get caught out by.

Boothjendar

Back to top Go down

Post by la Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:39 pm

Sorry, should have clarified. Our car insurance with Groupama was coming to the end of its term, we told the broker that we did't wish to renew as we had found a cheaper quote.( they neglected to tell us of the 2 months cancellation notice, and yes we did argue our case, but to no avail!!!) It was only after we had taken the better quote, that we received the threat of court action from Groupama, via recorded delivery post,so we had to pay. You will find the notification of cancellation terms in the booklet supplied with your policy-fine print near the back!!! Our only saving grace, was that we bought a second vehicle, an old banger for nipping to town, and were able to transfer the Groupama insurance (that we were obligated to pay) on to this vehicle. It's bad enough having to fork out once for car insurance, but to pay twice really hurt!

Sorry if I've confused you ( it's one of my many talents ). Basically if you need to cancel car insurance, ( with spanish companies ) it must be done 2 months before the expiry date or you will have to pay.

I do hope this makes sense????

La

la

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:48 pm

La - can you tell us who gave you the cheaper quote please? x
Sally
Sally

http://www.cuevapedro.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Boothjendar Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:59 pm

Cheers La,

Still don't quite understand your circumstances though, as for any policy I've ever had in Spain I get or got a renewal reminder 2 or 3 weeks before expiry at which point I shopped around armed with the renewal quote, if I got a cheaper quote I simple said no to renewing the existing policy, provided the NCB evidence to the new company and took new cover. How could someone possibley know 2 months in advance that they would want to cancel?

Going to go a read my Groupama policy book If I find they have an unusual clause I'll post on it shortly.

SEE MY POST BELOW

Last edited by Boothjendar on Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : got new info)
Boothjendar
Boothjendar

Back to top Go down

Post by Boothjendar Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:25 pm

Thanks again La,

Just scrutinised the policy and found the extension clause to the rear which does indeed state both parties must give 2 months notice of cancellation in writing.

Perhaps this is why this company is so much cheaper? as they'll just collect another years premium without notice.

Glad this subject was covered as I'll have to shop around earlier than normal next year and remember to cancel in good time.

Thanks again
Boothjendar
Boothjendar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cullarfamily Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:44 pm

Thanks La and Boothjendar - just checked my policy with Catalana Occidente and it has the same clause. Suggest others check the small print in their documents too.

Thanks again.

Cullarfamily

Back to top Go down

Post by Boothjendar Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:14 pm

Yeah couldn't agree more I would also suggest everyone has a look at their policy, I've always been insured with the Brit big 3 before and thought I'd stumbled unto a bit of a revelation with Groupama especially as they where almost half the cost of LD, Abbeygate and Ibex, and as they are almost exclusively used by the locals here they seemed great. Off course its probable that their renewal premium will be equal to or less than what I've just paid but the haggler in me always likes to shop around. Its not much of an inconvenience though I'm more than happy to shop early in order to have made an almost 200 euro saving !!

This has been a great topic for me as I'm always changing cars and doing we projects, hope everyone has a look at their doc's in time !!

Boothjendar
Boothjendar

Back to top Go down

Post by la Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:09 am

Hi Sally

Our insurance, at present, is with Neil Rowley (broker) and is from Liberty-971720807. They are English, so language is not a problem.

Hope you get a cheaper quote!

La

la

Back to top Go down

Post by la Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:31 am

Glad to see that several of you have checked your insurance policies for cancellation notice.

Another insurance story: Someone, I know, called Linea Direct for a quote, which was 700euros!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She then got quotes from a couple of other companies, rang LD again saying she had been quoted 400euros elsewhere. Guess what they came back with a winning quote!!!! How can they suddenly be so competitive after giving such an extortionate first quote??? The story doesn't end there. This person then took LD up on their offer!!!! I would have told them exactly where to go, for being so deceitful.

Anyway enough of my ranting. The moral is barter and trust no one.

La

la

Back to top Go down

Post by kalgo Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:30 pm

Can anyone give me the location of the Groupama Insurance office in Baza??
Thanks

kalgo

Back to top Go down

Post by Blatantadvertising.com Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:54 pm

new spanish insurance web comparison site Acierto.com
Blatantadvertising.com
Blatantadvertising.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Boothjendar Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:10 pm

kalgo wrote:Can anyone give me the location of the Groupama Insurance office in Baza??
Thanks

On the junction of Ctra de Benamurel and Ctra de Granada just after the roundabout below the bus station on the right if coming from Benamurel
Boothjendar
Boothjendar

Back to top Go down

Post by kalgo Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:11 am

Thanks for that..................................

kalgo

Back to top Go down

Post by cave hunter Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:10 am

I also thought one of the members Collado in El Margen, does insurance. Maybe it would be nice to support forum members.

cave hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by cave hunter Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:13 am

Collado I have sent you a p.m.

cave hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2