The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Abandoned Puppies.

+2
Cave Bunny
Mariposa
6 posters

Go down

Abandoned Puppies. Empty Abandoned Puppies.

Post by Mariposa Tue May 17, 2011 5:37 pm

On Easter Sunday I found two very wet and frightened pups outside my gates. They have a dry secure place for now and have now been checked by the Vet, have had their first Frontline, worm tablets and Sandfly collars. I have since found out that their owner died during Semana Santa and they were abandoned near Orce Swimming Pool four days before I found them -they walked here during those awful storms. The mother of the pups was killed. I knew her and she was a lovely docile dog. These two boys seem to take after her and are very well behaved, play nicely, eat dry bix and drink plenty of water. They also sit and come to comand. They are approx. 3 months old. I am not able to keep them, but if you or anyone you know is looking for a pet, please contact me here or on 660286184. The mother of these pups was a fairly large dog, labrador size, so the pups may well be medium to large dogs. I will try and get someone to add some photos asap! Thanks, Caroline

Abandoned Puppies. Puppie10

Abandoned Puppies. Puppie11

Abandoned Puppies. Puppie12

Abandoned Puppies. Puppie13

Abandoned Puppies. Puppie14

Last edited by Mariposa on Sun May 22, 2011 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Abandoned Puppies. Empty Re: Abandoned Puppies.

Post by Mariposa Wed May 18, 2011 11:28 am

Thanks for adding the photos Dave! Caroline x
Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Wed May 18, 2011 2:44 pm

Lovely photos! I hope you find homes for them soon. I will try too.
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariposa Wed May 18, 2011 3:08 pm

Thanks Cave Bunny!

I really don't want to have to have them put to sleep, last year nearly did me in with the 2 dogs and 10 pups to sort, while I was in rented accommodation.

Not sure if I posted the result of that, but of the 4 remaining pups, one sadly died. The three pups and their mother went to Malaga. Two are now in Sweden with their mother (all have been re-homed) and the little white one was re-named Marco Polo and is in, or on his way to the UK. The other dog sadly had to be put to sleep.

Things are a little easier with these two, now I am living at my own cave, but I just won't be able to care for them much longer. I do hope someone can help, they are so good and so intelligent. I hate the fact that they have to be outside and sleep in a box, but my old disabled dog just won't have them in the cave!

I would like to thank friends and neighbours who have given donations, food, harnesses, leads, collars, etc... I don't know how I would have managed.

Caroline x
Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by Cats-R-Us Fri May 20, 2011 10:58 am

Hope you can find them a home, they look so lovely. Sorry we can't help as we have just taken on a puppy my OH found in the basura bin nearly 10 weeks ago (vet said it was about 1 day old at the time). It seems he may grow bigger than we would have liked as we don't have a much of a garden but thankfully he is getting on with all our cats (which is another reason why we didn't have a dog in the first place). The youngest cat sleeps with him and plays chase with him so he probably thinks he is a cat anyway. Good luck finding adoptees for them.
Cats-R-Us
Cats-R-Us

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariposa Fri May 20, 2011 5:35 pm

Dear "Cats-R-Us",

Thanks for your message!

Nearly everyone I know has a sad rescue story, there are just so many needy animals here. I found homes for a kitten and 2 dogs in the North of Spain and also managed to reunite a lovely dog that had been 'let go', while his owners took a 2 week holiday in Italy!!!

Please remember these little fellas if you hear of anyone thinking of taking in a new pet dog, they really are so lovely.

I have now named them BLUE (the flat coat) and MARLEY (the rough coat) and Blue is already responding to his name. Obviously these names can be changed!!!

Caroline x
Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by saci Fri May 20, 2011 5:59 pm

Must say that this is a real heart string-tugging story. so many! I am trying to improve the overall health of three feral cats around me - one that need UN intervention with my own - who Christmas a year ago was abandoned on my apartment doorstep on Christmas Eve as I was making ready for Mass.I wish there were a charity which assists in helping the neutering/spaying of animals here and the front-lining/ parasite cleansing of strays. Feeding is not even on the list!

Good work - I wish I could help.If I had the wealth of Donald Trump, I'd have the planet's biggest animal rescue park imaginable!! But then, people like him don't have the brains for humane projects - and remain functioning at a concrete level until they drop dead - hair transplant and all!
saci
saci

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariposa Sat May 21, 2011 4:14 pm

Thanks for your message Saci.

I agree about the free neutering/spaying - watch this space, as this is something I am campaigning for. Will let you know more if this comes off. In the North of Spain (Asturias) where I lived for several years before moving down here, my local Vet/Shop/Surgery did free checks, neutering/spaying for stray animals and was also very pro-active in helping to find homes for any animals found. Berta (Spanish) was a real inspiration to me.

The nearby Vet Hospital was state of the art too. Not bad for one of the poorest and smallest countys in Spain!

Caroline x
Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sat May 21, 2011 4:31 pm

A friend of mine set up a system supplying a free neutering service here in the UK. He's an absolutely terrific guy that loves every type of animal. From what I understand the vets around the midlands wern't too impressed with him doing this! He then went to work for the Cat Protection League, not sure doing what, but a very good job, and now he's some sort of top bloke in the Battery Hen Rescue scene. He lives in the most fantastic farm in the midlands surrounded by all sorts of strange animals. You couldn't wish to meet a nicer chap, so laid back he's horizontal! I know him through the VW scene, so he's bound to be a good chap!
I mentioned to him once about coming out to Spain, and he said he wouldn't dare, because it would break his heart!
Dave
Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariposa Sat May 21, 2011 5:02 pm

I know what your friend means Dave, it was one of the biggest factors for me to think about, before actually moving here. I have worked in Spain on and off since I was 16 (mainly holiday jobs) so knew the horror of how the strays are treated.

He sounds very much like Berta, she would do anything in or out of hours to help stray animals - all animals were greeted with a hug and treat - she is a very special lady.

Asturias hardened me somewhat, it wasn't so much 'strays' in my village, but how they treated their farm animals - I won't go into it. It just makes me want to cry.

Well, I am determined to get something sorted and have managed to get my local PSOE Candidate to listen and get very enthused. PP have a good approachable Candidate, but it depends on who gets in, as to who I go after! I am still not sure how I am voting tomorrow, but that's another subject!!!

Caroline

Last edited by Mariposa on Sun May 22, 2011 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Bunny Sat May 21, 2011 8:27 pm

Liking the sound of both your friend in Devon, Dave and yours in Asturias Mariposa. How I wish there were more like that around.

When I was younger I started the training towards becoming a vet, but then did a u-turn to Art as I'm not great with blood (go figure!). I wished I'd have carried on that first path. And I wish people weren't so money orientated, in particular vets. Why is castrating and spaying so expensive here? The explanation I've received is that it's the cost of the anaesthetic, but that doesn't quite wash with me. If I could find a vet willing to do it, I'd create a sterile room here just for neutering at an affordable price. I'd force myself to get over the blood thing and help.

I know that El Capricho tried to do a campaign for sterilisation last year but the response was not great.

In truth, I started helping at El Capricho because for me it was a case of doing something constructive to help a heartbreaking situation, or go home. We have only been here for a little over a year, and we have adopted 6 strays already. A foster dog is coming next week to stay until she can go to the UK. And I'd have more if hubby weren't so damned sensible (and right) about it.

What I find most disturbing is how the people who move here do become hardened to it. I know it's a survival technique, but that doesn't make it right. For me these dogs might as well be children sitting on the side of the road. I see life as life, living breathing beings deserving of a chance.

Anyhow, I am grateful there are people doing good things. And for the dogs who have a remarkable resilience which astounds me every day I am at the centre - after all they have been through, there is still room for love.
xx
Cave Bunny
Cave Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by saci Sun May 22, 2011 11:11 pm

A very difficult one. I have chosen to be a vegetarian for reaons associated with this. I do not expect an eskimo to eat lentil cutlets. However, I do not see the sense in the type of shopping that has been promoted over the years - byn 24 chicken wings, 12 drumsticks etc and get whatever twiceover free!! I grew up with animals - even ones we eventually ate and also ones we sold. It was even heart breaking for my dad, who had to make the decision.Our favourite sow lived in utter cleanliness, and spread herslef over the sunday paper to be scratched before we could read it!

All animals are feeling beings - willing to create a bond with you if you let them. If you don't there is something dysfunctional about the person who resists this bonding. I have experiencedand observed it time and time again.

"Becoming hardened" is a copout. I also speak as somewhat of a heretical Catholic. One lame excuse is that the Church over the years has declared animals don't have souls. Dangerous ground - a little like misinterpreting the Koran! Who said they have no souls? Where is it written?

I think we should have "poster displays" on market days - collecting drawings, being able to process photos would be a help. And being in a Catholic culture, not a bad idea if we were to use quotes from the new testament - use St Francis of Assissi, St Anthony of Padua, Padre Pio and the recently sainted monk from Granada who loved animals.

We ought to be focussing on something very simple - if we do not honour the "lesser" species, we are not worthy of being the species we are. Unbridled cruelty becomes only a sniff away - beit Auschwitz or Pit Bull cruelty, caging of calling birds in cages barely their own size, song birds in cages smaller than their wing span or the live stringing up of "dissatisfactory" hunting dogs. What does it take to awaken a people - be they Spanish or British:

I too could tell much about what I see as cruelty, along the pilgrim route of Santiago el Compostela - horses on short tether, no shade in seering heat, no water - in Santa Katalina Somosa, abandoned young hunting bitch - skin and bone in Rabanal del Camino - so many others. I just couldn't bring myself to do my own "write-up" of my 5 weeks walking the Compostela way.

Here in Galera the waif cats are legion. I have just spent a small fortune I can't afford buying spot-on, worming tablets etc. I have my own cat -chipped and transported from Central Europe -dumped on my apartment doorstep on Holy Night 2 years ago - little bundle. Here, one of three has come to the point I can stroke tentatively - seems to have an infected hole through from outside its anus to through the base of its tale. Would be great if I could take it to the vet. Managed to get spot-on onto him - and the three of them swallowed their worming with wet food. I am phased by the lack of compassion in people.

I deeply believe if we lack compassion towards the more vulnerable species, we will be no different with our own. I rest my case.
saci
saci

Back to top Go down

Post by Boothjendar Mon May 23, 2011 12:13 am

saci wrote:

"Becoming hardened" is a copout. I also speak as somewhat of a heretical Catholic. One lame excuse is that the Church over the years has declared animals don't have souls. Dangerous ground - a little like misinterpreting the Koran! Who said they have no souls? Where is it written?

Unfortunately it is written here Genesis 1:26 along with everything else to do with Mans dominance over the beasts !!
Boothjendar
Boothjendar

Back to top Go down

Post by saci Mon May 23, 2011 5:32 pm

To have dominion isnot equal to excersising abuse. God also sya that man is created in His image and likeness - then one would think following on from there that God either is totally merciless/heartless or is merciful, with empathy beyond our comprehension! I am meanwhile reading into the 1st book of Moses, just to put me into the picture once more.

With dominion comes responsibility!
saci
saci

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariposa Mon May 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Just wondering if anyone in the Galera area (or passing through) might have a large shallow bowl or something that the pups could use to play in. They have now burst their paddling pool to the point that I can't repair it anymore!!! If you can help, please phone me urgently on 660286184. Thanks!

They are growing fast and have now started outside walks. Marley is keen but Blue is very nervous of being outside. This will improve I am sure, he probably remembers his awful journey getting here and it will just take some time.

If you are able to take one, or both of them please do get in touch as soon as possible.

NEW PHOTOS HAVE BEEN ADDED, SO PLEASE CLICK TO THE NEXT PAGE OF THIS THREAD TO SEE THEM!
Thanks, Caroline

Last edited by Mariposa on Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:39 am

New pictures of the pups uploaded for you......

Abandoned Puppies. Puppie15

Abandoned Puppies. Puppie16

Abandoned Puppies. Puppie17
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariposa Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks for adding more pics for me Dave - I still can't work out how to do it!!!

As you can see, the boys are getting big now and have become gangly legged teenagers! PLEASE CAN ANYONE TAKE ONE AND GIVE HIM A GOOD HOME???

A HUGE thanks to K & D for the bag of toys, E & J for the dog treats, M & R for the bags of puppy food and B & M for the pallet - you are all amazing people!

Caroline
Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by saci Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:40 pm

absolutely beautiful!! I do hope someone with a good heart AND committment will come forth soon. My light ginger/white young tom I'd helped heal the ugly hole at the base of its tale, has gone awol -a little worried - as he is always there waiting for me in the mornng - an afternoon - and now had let me stroke and groom him regularily. Seemed to have a slight front paw limp -and I'd hoped to be able to have a look. Feel quite sad - as I am sure he'd be here if he were ok.
If anyone sees alight ginger/ white somewhere around the Barrio Real ravine in Galera, with a slightly bald bit at the back where he has healed, doletme know. TAA
saci
saci

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariposa Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:03 pm

Sorry to hear about your Cat Saci, I am sure everyone that lives that way will keep an eye out for you!

Caroline
Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariposa Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:45 pm

GOOD LUCK BLUE AND MARLEY...

The boys have gone to Malaga, where hopefully they will be found new homes very soon. A big THANK YOU to Ian and Monique Sharp for driving them down there for me on Friday and to the Vet for all the hard work she put in, getting them ready to go.

Again I would like to thank everyone who donated money, bought food, toys, leads/harnesses etc... I couldn't have got them to this stage without you all.

Caroline

Abandoned Puppies. Puppie10

Abandoned Puppies. Puppie11

Abandoned Puppies. Puppie12
Mariposa
Mariposa

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:12 am

Great work, well done Caroline! sunny
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down