The Cave, Finca & Cortijo Forum. Andalucia..

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Renting out a property? Then read this.........

+9
Rosier
jude
arj208
Ken
traineetrog
Imagemaker
sierra_satellites
The Sierras
Dave
13 posters

Go down

Renting out a property? Then read this......... Empty Renting out a property? Then read this.........

Post by Dave Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:05 pm

Ive been asked to raise awareness, if you rent property please read this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Last edited by Devon.Dave on Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:55 am; edited 3 times in total
Dave
Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Renting out a property? Then read this......... Empty Re: Renting out a property? Then read this.........

Post by Dave Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:13 pm

Most important of all.......
Do not rent out without getting references!
Wink
Dave
Dave
Admin

https://caveliving.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Renting out a property? Then read this......... Empty Re: Renting out a property? Then read this.........

Post by The Sierras Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:45 am

This is good advice.

I have heard many horror stories from people who have rented out both short term and long term, and have had various items stolen, furniture damage and of course worse still people are asked to leave and they don't and then the problems begin because people who rent long term have rights.....

That said, if you take the right steps and ensure you cover yourself properly with public liability insurance, and completing the relevant paperwork, the rewards can be great....

The Sierras

Back to top Go down

Post by sierra_satellites Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:06 pm

For the past few years I have rented off english. The landlord of the last property I was in regularly entered the property when I was out and even stole money and other expensive items. So the link is helpful to both parties. Not all tennants are thieves and not all landlords are honest.
sierra_satellites
sierra_satellites

Back to top Go down

Post by Imagemaker Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:13 pm

I had a great tenant in my house earlier this year - when she had left, I wouldn't have known there had been anyone in my house! So yes, most people are trust worthy......but be on your guard!

Sue
Imagemaker
Imagemaker

Back to top Go down

Post by traineetrog Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:31 am

I think renting is a two sided process and there are two ways to go about. You can either trust each other and do away with the formailities and have an informal agreement or have a formal agreement. We have rented in the UK for nearly 3 years without any written agreements, bond or agreed rental period and it worked well for both parties.

Or there's the formal method with contracts etc. But let's not forget the landlord and / or agent have responsibilities too. Agents should provide rental DIA's, landlords may need a tourism license etc. If references are required ask the landlord for references too.

The point I am perhaps rather labouring trying to make is that any agreement has got to be fair to both parties and that both parties have responsibilities and legal obligations. I would hope that everyone renting pays when requested and looks after the property with respect. But does every landlord on Holiday Lettings or Owners Direct have a tourism license when needed and public liability insurance for letting? Do all agents provide Rental DIA's? If not, is that not rather one sided?

traineetrog
traineetrog

Back to top Go down

Renting out a property? Then read this......... Empty Rentals

Post by Ken Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:49 am

Yes, you might be right, but with most people wanting to rent in this area, they don´t want to pay much for a rental, and come here because it is ´Cheap´.
Unfortunately there are some people who take advantage of the economic situation some people find themselves in at the moment and negotiate a low rental. (That´s business) It's the owners choice to rent or not.
My advice is to do it as legally as possible, minimum of 6 months, maximum of 11 months and, if it were me I would take three months rent as a deposit and one month in advance. Why? Well a number of tenants that I have come across, breach the contract by trying to terminate it early, don´t pay the last months rent or electricity and tell the owners to take the last month from the deposit, which in most cases is not permitted in the contract. They leave the property in a mess, and nearly always the owner is out of pocket.
I have known instances where tenants have not had NIE Numbers, not given copies of their passport, not supplied previous addresses here in Spain or the UK. It is pointless asking for referees as the dishonest person will only supply names of those who will give them a reference.
There are silly and sensible owners, honest and dishonest tenants.
This area is not high on the desirability stakes when it comes to renting. (Yes I know the potential is there, but not at present). There are dozens of people who have developed property with a view to creating an income by rental. Very few succeed, and sadly many remain empty.
There are scum out there who will and do exploit the situation.
Trust has to be earned, or good references supplied, and verified. If potential tenants do not provide the info, or say they will when the move in, ask yourself why.
As for dishonest landlords, I rarely have come across any, (I am sure there are a few out there) the reason being most want to keep their tenants, most want to re-new the contract as it is their source or potential source of income.

Ken

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sierras Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:50 am

It is a difficult situation. We originally rented out place out for B&B/Accommodation when we first came. Did things properly getting passports, NIEs numbers, keeping records etc. and for us it wasn't too bad. I think the worse thing we suffered was stolen hairdriers and learnt our lesson.
My advice is, like Ken said, get deposits up front for possible breakages and damage. We only had to keep some of the deposit once to cover a burnt saucepan and some broken plates - kids!
Otherwise, our personal experience was a good one.

It is an interesting point that Ken also made. Dishonest landlords are rare but I have recently come across one. Here I am talking about short term not long term rentals.... Imagine this. You book a holiday to come and stay in accommodation then once the person has taken your money, they cut all ties with you......this has happened with the same landlord on at least 5 occasions this summer......

I say no more am not in a position to give any more information at this time but it is worthwhile mention as unfortunately they do exist.

I think to get this area promoted and more successful in terms of renting everybody really needs to work together to offer.

The Sierras

Back to top Go down

Post by traineetrog Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:53 am

I'm afraid I disagree with Ken. We are all being polite so I think it's OK to do so. I disagree because the view, although maybe based on real experiences, is somewhat one sided.

For example, a renter is presented with a contract which doesn't mention insurance and the renter asks, "is the property insured?". The owner answers, "if anyone asks, you are a friend, I don't have public liability and the house is not insured for renting". This is not right is it. What happens if something happens and the owners insurance is invalid?
The landlord asks for €600 bond. Does the landlord have bond protection? How does the renter know that they will get it back? What happens if the money is swallowed up and the landlord cannot afford to pay it back?
Do all agents who talk about what is required, NIE's, references etc provide rental DIA's required by law under decree 218? They are not difficult to produce but which agents provide them?
Just because tennets negiotiate better value rents does not mean corners should be cut unless they specifically agree to it. If landlords want to benefit financially from tourism should they not obtain a license to do so and get appropriate insurance? If you play the game you have to play by the rules.

Not all tennents leave the property in a mess, just like not all properties are clean and tidy when they move in. I'm just saying lets not say most landlords are good and most tennants scum. Let's not talk about what tennants must sign and provide unless landlords and agents do what they should be doing too. A renter has an obligation to the property but a landlord cannot expect renting a property to be an easy way to get an income. There are rules to follow, laws to comply with, standards to meet and expenses involved which they cannot just ignore in search of a bit extra cash on the side.
traineetrog
traineetrog

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:18 pm

Littletrog your response comes from some in depth knowledge of the situation of rental here in Spain and as you said previously, in the UK.
So you should therefore not come to grief when dealing with landlords.
I stand by my comments.
Your knowledge of the situation could work to your advantage if you are needing employment or a business opportunity to pursue.
I know of hardly any Estate Agents in the area who do, or want to do rentals or property management. The latter is not at all realistic because most can not afford management fees. I may be corrected because I am sure there are one or two who do. From conversations I have had most are not interested. Not because of the fees charged, but because of the problems generated by tenants and some landlords expectations.
I now pass any enquiries I get direct to the Landlords and do not charge a fee.
There are a lot of properties available for rental in the area, so there may be an opportunity for you or someone else.
Good Luck

Ken

Back to top Go down

Renting out a property? Then read this......... Empty Renting Property

Post by arj208 Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:43 pm

I rented a house to an English tenant some time ago. He caused nothing but trouble for me & the local community. He played music at maximum volume all hours of the day & night, would cause mayhem with, & insult the local Spanish people. Several times the police were called to the house by neighbours but, because he was either high on drugs, drink, or both, never answered the door to them.

I was even called out several times by the locals in the early hours of the morning to stop the noise because it was affecting the whole street. He vocally molested a female neighbour & threatened to hit her because she had cut the communal water supply. She had a burst pipe in the bathroom - & again due to his music being so loud, or, out of his mind on drink etc., she was unable to make him hear door bell.

I told him many times to find alternative accommodation, the last of these, he accused me of stealing from him when he was out of the house, & attacked me with a knife. When he eventually left the property, he stole windows, microwave, heaters, & many other bits & pieces, even pots & pans… The house was strewn with rubbish, plastic bags, cardboard boxes, & other filth! There were, & are other issues, but I’m sure you get the picture.

There are still outstanding electricity, telephone, rent, & gas bills unpaid, so, the advise here whilst interesting, make sure you take a deposit – from anyone – even a so called friend before letting, & take out appropriate insurance to cover the misfortune of having scum like this in your property.

arj208

Back to top Go down

Post by jude Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi,my brother will very probably be coming to the Baza area shortly and he will be looking to rent a cave-house,for about 3months or possibly longer. I agree you do have to be very careful who you rent your property to,and getting references whilst being the sensible thing to do,probably isn't all that easy. So my question is...what sort of reference is required/suitable ? I have never rented in my life,so who's to say what sort of tenant I would be. I don't live like a pig at home and so don't want to when I'm on holiday.( I have been known to repair curtains whilst on hol in Greece !!! very sad I know) I am hoping to move to Spain as soon as my prop sells,so I will be looking for a rental ...
jude
jude

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosier Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:05 am

I rented to an english couple, well known in Baza, and got ripped off, costing me oodles of money.... Yes we can all get angry and climb out of our prams regarding this topic, live and learn is what I say..even if you think you know the people, and have all the correct documentation, when things go wrong for them, it all goes out of the window... Just be VERY aware...I for one will never rent out again.....will learn by my mistake in being too trusting.... life is far too short to bear grudges.....

Rosier

Back to top Go down

Post by jude Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:49 pm

I am saddened to hear that many peoples experience, be it landlord or tenant has caused them to come away feeling ripped-off and angry and not wanting to re-visit the experience again. I was in Spain last year,only for a week,but the property I rented was lovely and the owners were great.
jude
jude

Back to top Go down

Post by Gobiker56 Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:29 pm

You could always try and negotiate a long term stay in a hotel /Pension /B&B/guest house (Ahem!) Or even as a lodger (cough!).
Gobiker56
Gobiker56

http://cuevaleon.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by CINDERS Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:13 pm

Hi we are looking into buying a cave house and renting part of it out as holiday lets do you need a licence or permission for this thanks

CINDERS

Back to top Go down

Post by pete_l Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:05 am

CINDERS wrote:Hi we are looking into buying a cave house and renting part of it out as holiday lets do you need a licence or permission for this thanks
Oh god! yes.

Licences, permissions, inspections, tax, regisatration, approval.
From several different agencies. None of whom has any incentive to be helpful or timely. All of which interpret the rules (which change from area to area) in their own, inconsistent, way.

pete_l

http://www.pete-lynch.com/la_casa.html

Back to top Go down

Post by La Mancha Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:15 pm

More about the new regulations here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

One thing to note is "The property is located in land classified as ‘residential’ (in other words, rural and tertiary land are excluded as they are each subject to their own legislation on rentals)." Many cave houses are defined as rural so you would need to check what the rules are for this.
La Mancha
La Mancha

http://www.cuevademama.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by CINDERS Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:50 pm

ok thanks i think Shocked

have got family out in spain, who are renting so will give them a ring Smile
they live near malaga.
thought of asking on here as we are looking at buying a cave house in the baza area Thanks
do anyone know of a handy web sight that would help Smile

CINDERS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down